• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Small room with bass issues

Roland68

Major Contributor
I have recently purchased the Genelec 8030s which sound very good.
For such a small room, with the loudspeakers close to the wall and shelves, I would generally recommend smaller, closed loudspeakers, under no circumstances bass reflex.
Possibly with a very deeply separated active subwoofer.

Jukka

Dennis Foley would say you can not EQ 10db dips or peaks?
Jukka says you can EQ >10 dB peaks.

I have heard of this kind of limitation, but don't really remember why that would be so. If I had to guess, it's phase response going wild. But I'd rather have that than 14 dB room mode at 47 Hz, which I have in my living room, which I put down with a dsp. It has never before sounded better!

Nulls (or dips) could be dsp'ed by phase shift, but I've never tried that and would not recommend it to a beginner or without precisely defined methods and goal.

keenly

Jukka says you can EQ >10 dB peaks.

I have heard of this kind of limitation, but don't really remember why that would be so. If I had to guess, it's phase response going wild. But I'd rather have that than 14 dB room mode at 47 Hz, which I have in my living room, which I put down with a dsp. It has never before sounded better!

Nulls (or dips) could be dsp'ed by phase shift, but I've never tried that and would not recommend it to a beginner or without precisely defined methods and goal.
What do you use, REW?

Soundmixer

It is not wise to EQ dips, it can damage your speakers and you cannot actually fill it. You absolutely can use EQ to deal with a peak.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
His job is to sell physical room treatment products. Not the most reliable source when it comes to digital room correction.

So what does one do about dips?
Use 2 or more subs. If the dips are caused by SBIR fine tune speaker placement and/or add absorption panels.

GalZohar

As far as I know, mostly positioning of speakers and listening position. For subwoofer dips you can add more subs.
With speakers (or for subwoofers if you have only 1) you will probably still have dips, but you can find the least bad positions.
Seems like what matters isn't just how deep the dip is, but also how wide it is, as narrow ones aren't really audible unless you play a test tone at that specific frequency.

keenly

As far as I know, mostly positioning of speakers and listening position. For subwoofer dips you can add more subs.
With speakers (or for subwoofers if you have only 1) you will probably still have dips, but you can find the least bad positions.
Mr Foley says adding more subs creates more issues.

GalZohar

Audioholics claim otherwise. It's long but informative:
P1:
P2:
P3:

But even with just one sub, you can find the position with the fewest/not as bad dips (also explained in the videos).

Jukka

Dips are far less destructive to listening experience than peaks. Start by managing the peaks and listen to it. You may find that the dips are not bothering you. You may either case find it useful to follow the tips posted up. Always put priority (microphone) on main listening position, because bass/sub-bass dips are unavoidable. You just have to decide in which spot you can tolerate which dips or with luck your listening position is free from dips, but they occur elsewhere in the room. You may be able to find a pleasing compromise relatively easy. If you want a perfect room, you need to invest in purpose built acoustic treatment. The difficulty of treatment and managing of a dip goes up as the frequency of it goes down.

Andysu

Major Contributor
makes me feel utterly depressed watching this video . i ether use any of the 2 or 6 or 8 JBL subs and no snags .

dasdoing

Major Contributor
knock on a resonant box, than knock on it half as strong. the resonance continues.
so treatment is always better than eq.
and since you allready baught some kind of traps, play with them. position them between the wall and the speakers. than try to position them left and right of the speakers. try other stuff, too. that's your only chance with two (?) panels.
also move the whole setup if possible

Andysu

Major Contributor
knock on a resonant box, than knock on it half as strong. the resonance continues.
so treatment is always better than eq.
and since you allready baught some kind of traps, play with them. position them between the wall and the speakers. than try to position them left and right of the speakers. try other stuff, too. that's your only chance with two (?) panels.
also move the whole setup if possible
you can do same with yourself it's technical . place hand on tummy and i nominate you , for youtube video so we can hear ? place hand on tummy and then tap with other hand/finger on on your hands finger . oh you'll hear it all right .

Andysu

Major Contributor
acoustics fieldSnake oil . said the spider to the fly .

kongwee

Major Contributor
There is recommended distance by Genelac close or away from wall. I assume within the recommended close wall distance. My guess is the table. The speaker first reflection is the table.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
you can do same with yourself it's technical . place hand on tummy and i nominate you , for youtube video so we can hear ? place hand on tummy and then tap with other hand/finger on on your hands finger . oh you'll hear it all right .

instructions unclear lol

Top Bottom