• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

small form-factor combination DAC AMP for bedside use with HD800s

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
I am looking for a small form-factor combination DAC AMP for bedside use with HD800s, and Hifiman Edition X. Having trouble knowing which units will drive these headphones well, but assuming that all DAC functionality will be audibly transparent. Can anyone recommend any models I might investigate? Thanks!

staticV3

Master Contributor
How would you like to send audio to the DAC+Amp? And would you like the DAC+Amp to be battery-powered?

Last edited:
OP
B

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
How would you like to send audio to the DAC+Amp? And would you like the DAC+Amp to be battery-powered?
good questions, thanks! i would be using an android phone with usb-c and i can go either way re: battery vs. wall-powered. does that make a difference?

staticV3

Master Contributor
good questions, thanks! i would be using an android phone with usb-c and i can go either way re: battery vs. wall-powered.
In that case, I would recommend the Qudelix 5K.
It can be powered by either its built-in battery, or by your phone via Type-C.
And audio can be sent either via USB, or via Bluetooth so that there are fewer cables in the way.

Best of all, the Qudelix 5K has built-in Parametric EQ and Crossfeed, which can seriously increase the sound quality of your headphones.

The App with which you can set it up and customize everything is also excellent.

Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a Topping DX5 for a week and it was excellent. The G50 is battery powered and sounds as good as most stacks. The DX5 Light is less, and just lacks MQA support.

Bleib

Major Contributor
SMSL C200 if you can still find it

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In that case, I would recommend the Qudelix 5K.
This is really the only answer, given use of headphones that really require EQ to optimize their potential.

Unfortunate that there aren’t other worthy options, but I don’t know of any.

staticV3

Master Contributor
This is really the only answer, given use of headphones that really require EQ to optimize their potential.

Unfortunate that there aren’t other worthy options, but I don’t know of any.
FiiO just released an updated BTR15, so that may be worth a look.
I can guarantee though that their App is worse, with fewer useful features than the Qudelix.

OP
B

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
Thank you! This is a huge help! The presence of the crossover and EQ are a great plus too. Just one more question, if you dont mind-- Do you have any thoughts about how I would find out if that unit will drive my HD800s, and Hifiman Edition X well? I don't understand those specs and I always worry that I am missing out on some of the performance of those hard-to-drive headphones if I buy the wrong thing. Thanks again-- I really appreciate it!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thank you! This is a huge help! The presence of the crossover and EQ are a great plus too. Just one more question, if you dont mind-- Do you have any thoughts about how I would find out if that unit will drive my HD800s, and Hifiman Edition X well? I don't understand those specs and I always worry that I am missing out on some of the performance of those hard-to-drive headphones if I buy the wrong thing. Thanks again-- I really appreciate it!
The Qudelix 5K can output 4.0Vrms into high impedance loads via its 2.5mm Balanced headphone output.
With the high impedance HD800S and its sensitivity of 105.5dB/Vrms, that is enough to drive the headphone to 117.5dB SPL Peak.
That is extremely loud. For reference, my usual listening volume of 80dB SPL Peak is less than 10% of what's possible with the 5K+HD800S.

The Edition X V1 was measured to have a sensitivity of 112.5dB/Vrms and an impedance of 21Ω (source).
At 21Ω, the Qudelix 5K can output 2.26Vrms before clipping using its 2.5mm Bal output, which means 119.6dB SPL Peak, over 15x as loud as my usual volume!

In conclusion, the Qudelix 5K can drive both your HD8000S and Edition X to ear-shattering levels of volume :)

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can power your phone and the Q5K at the same time as using the Q5K as a DAC with one of these little adapters: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C724K3QN

Or go 'mobile' with a Bluetooth connection and clipping the Q5K to your headband :)
IMG_20231109_172257_Tempest-LMC8.4-F3-v5.2 (Small).jpg
IMG_20230922_164933 (Small).jpg

Or with the HD800S... https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-dac-headphone-amp.17386/page-37#post-1547799

Top Bottom