• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sleeping Conundrum

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I like to fall asleep to music and for the past couple of years have been using Audio Technica M40x. They're a little uncomfortable after a while and I wake up due to discomfort. For the past month I've been researching a better alternative, but each alternative is fraught with problems. My current setup is a Yamaha MusicCast WXC-50 (bluetooth capable, but I'm not currently using bluetooth), SMSL SAP II headphone amp and the M40's.

Option 1: Get a high quality pair of wireless earbuds, like the Sony WF-1000XM3, skip the amp and use bluetooth.
Issues: Will they break if I roll over? At $200 they aren't cheap. Are they too large? They stick pretty far out of the ear.

Option 2: Get a cheap pair wireless earbuds, like the QCY T1 ($21) , skip the amp and use bluetooth.
Issues: Will they just sound like crap? If so, isn't this just a waste of $21. Battery life says 4 hours, but in three months will it be 20 minute

Option 3: Get a high quality pair of wireless headphones, like the Sennheiser Momentum 3 , skip the amp and use bluetooth.
Issues: Will they break if I roll over? Not cheap. Will they be comfortable?

Option 4: Get a pair of earbuds DESIGNED for sleeping.
Issues: They all appear to be disposable garbage, but no one seems to review these products for sound quality.

If you sleep in headphones, let me know what you use and what works or doesn't about them.

Thanks.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I'm not sure I could sleep in them, but I recently bought an innexpensive pair of wireless earbuds: https://amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07J2Z5DBM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They sound very reasonable, perhaps a bit warm and overly bassy, but I'll take that over bright or thin sounding any day.

I have very small ear canals, so IEMs are always a bit of an issue for me, they sound OK, and I like how small, light and unobtrusive they are, but I'm always concious of having something jammed in my ear.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use my Moondrop Starfields connected to my ES100 and then my phone via Bluetooth. The Starfields are large, stick out a lot and are the least comfortable (for sleeping) IEMs that I own. However, they sound so good that I resist the urge to compromise on more comfortable (for sleeping) IEMs. If I wasn't in love with the Starfields, I would be using my BLON-BL03 as these are very comfortable and barely noticeable even when lying on my side. The BLONs are also relatively cheap, so there's less of a penalty for breaking them if you toss and turn a lot during sleep.

xykreinov

Forum Donor
My recommendation would be bone conduction headphones: https://aftershokz.com/products/aeropex
I don't like being isolated while I sleep, so their design even better than open back can as far as that's concerned.
AfterShoks also sound much better than most reviews claim. Most forget the situational part of the equation- that while a nice pair of wired IEMs will sound better when sitting still, such IEMS are junk with the all the vibrations from running (or tossing around in bed). Aftershoks are king in keeping audio consistent throughout various situations. They're good for sleeping where you're potentially tossing and turning- having your head crushing one side and not the other.

As far as fully wireless earbuds are concerned, it is my belief that they're a scam. There are very few practical reasons to eliminate the wire between the buds serving as a tether. The end results are often bulkier and sound worse than their semi-wired predecessors for no good reason, as exampled by the WF-1000XM3.
If you want a nice, traditional option, I would highly recommend the Status BT Transfer: https://www.status.co/products/bttransfer?variant=13852960063540
Nice and compact, with an excellent, very neutral sound. I have the wired variant, and they sound like my old Sony MH755, which is definitely a good thing. Those Sony's are incredibly close to the Harman target, especially in the treble range: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au...arman_in-ear_2019v2/Sony MH755/Sony MH755.png
On that note, alternatively, I'd recommend a modded MH755 and a bluetooth mmcx cable.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Option 3: Get a high quality pair of wireless headphones, like the Sennheiser Momentum 3 , skip the amp and use bluetooth.
Issues: Will they break if I roll over? Not cheap. Will they be comfortable?

If you sleep in headphones, let me know what you use and what works or doesn't about them.

Thanks.

They won't break if you roll over. You get what you pay for. Yes, quite comfortable.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a pair of wired Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 over ears that I use in bed occasionally, though not whilst sleeping (unless I nod off!). The Senns are very comfortable, not too bulky (although the wireless versions look bigger) and are extremely well put together, so I wouldn't be too worried about them breaking. They do need EQ though (I use UAPP + Toneboosters PEQ on my phone).

Willem

Major Contributor
My wife also likes to fall asleep, in her case with talk radio. Our bedroom system: CCA with the sleeeptimer in the TuneIn app. AVA Maestro 50 chip amplifier with optical input and auto on/off, Q Acoustics 3010 speakers.
I rarely have any difficulty falling asleep so the radio does not bother me, although I would prefer music.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My favorite sleeping pair are my cheap Bluetooth skull candy. Worst is my super noise blocking ciems. Over the ear usually cause too much ear sweat. I'm getting irritated ears no matter how I go. I will eventually try an in pillow speaker. Anything that wraps behind the head causes neck pain. Long wires are a pain when turning over.

OP
SimpleTheater

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If I wasn't in love with the Starfields, I would be using my BLON-BL03 as these are very comfortable and barely noticeable even when lying on my side. The BLONs are also relatively cheap, so there's less of a penalty for breaking them if you toss and turn a lot during sleep.
Picked up the BLON-BL03's yesterday (I've been buying a lot of stuff lately). Not in love with the cord, it tangles easily, but they were extremely comfortable and the sound was way (and I mean WAY) better than I expected for a $36 IEM. Thanks so much (I bought an extra pair just in case).

Top Bottom