• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Simulation Overview - Loudspeakers Design via Shape and Topology Optimization

Head_Unit

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
improving the strength of the basket to minimize structural failures during handling and transportation.
I once worked at a company that shall remain nameless...they had a cool looking magnet structure, super beefy. 18" woofers. At one point the aluminum baskets were...
1.8 mm thick!?!?
o_O
Yeah, they broke a lot. So I redesigned the basket to be much stronger, and easier to manufacture. But since they had literally containersful of baskets (why so many???) they kept building with the old baskets :rolleyes::facepalm:

Head_Unit

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Room modes are a good topic, and it is on the short list.
There are some online simulations which I believe simulate rectangular rooms with perfect inelastic walls. I really dislike that as I feel it's misleading (though maybe it's not a big difference?)
--> I think what would be most useful would be NOT simulations of perfect rectangular rooms, since I'm pretty sure few people have totally sealed rectangular rooms made of concrete. It would be really interesting compare such perfect rooms to real rooms:
- You have like a door into a kitchen or hallway or both.
- Angled cathedral ceilings
- Real drywall-on-stud walls, difference versus ideal perfect walls.
- And how the pressure varies vertically since usually sims are shown as a view from above, which gives the impression the pressure is the same at all heights.
As a loudspeaker engineer I gotta say I found the first post really really interesting.

OP
R

René - Acculution.com

Technical Expert
There are some online simulations which I believe simulate rectangular rooms with perfect inelastic walls. I really dislike that as I feel it's misleading (though maybe it's not a big difference?)
--> I think what would be most useful would be NOT simulations of perfect rectangular rooms, since I'm pretty sure few people have totally sealed rectangular rooms made of concrete. It would be really interesting compare such perfect rooms to real rooms:
- You have like a door into a kitchen or hallway or both.
- Angled cathedral ceilings
- Real drywall-on-stud walls, difference versus ideal perfect walls.
- And how the pressure varies vertically since usually sims are shown as a view from above, which gives the impression the pressure is the same at all heights.
As a loudspeaker engineer I gotta say I found the first post really really interesting.
Good topics to get into. It is a really good idea to understand the modes in a room where you can analytically calculate them such as rectangular room. With the simple calculators these same modes are found but to add doors and such you really need simulations.

Last edited:
Top Bottom