• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I replace Gigaport HD+ with exaSound e18

Eurasian

Forum Donor
Hello All,

I am running an Audiolense 3-way active system and thinking of upgrading the multi channel dac. Would the exaSound be an upgrade or more of a sideways move? Both of these dacs came on the market at about the same time (2012).

My other thought is to save up for an Okto, which is definitely sota and has balanced outputs vs. rca with the others.

Any and all comments are welcome!

Thanks in advance,
David

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I am running an Audiolense 3-way active system and thinking of upgrading the multi channel dac. Would the exaSound be an upgrade or more of a sideways move? Both of these dacs came on the market at about the same time (2012).
The Gigaport uses an unnamed DAC chip and is limited:
1590856384887.png

OP
E

Eurasian

Forum Donor
I think it uses an AKM 445x multi channel dac, but it is very limited when using 6 channels. The exaSound used the ES9018, I think. Shared with my favorite Benchmark stereo dac.

Top Bottom