• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should Amir go to Canjam in Southern California?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The next Canjam (headphone) conference is coming up in LA/Orange county area on June 22nd. I have tentatively made hotel reservation. The list of manufacturers is rather small though so I am debating how useful it is to go from here, considering the expense and time.

---
64 Audio
Abyss Headphones
Akoustyx
ampsandsound
Artvano
Astell+Kern
Audeze
Audio-Technica
Benchmark Media Systems
beyerdynamic
Campfire Audio
Cardas Audio
Chord Electronics
Clearaudio
Crosszone
dCS
Dekoni Audio
DUNU
Effect Audio
Empire Ears
Fan Acoustics
Feliks Audio
FiiO
Focal
Grado Labs
HAKUGEI Cable
Headamp Audio Electronics
HELM Audio
Hifiman
HyperX
ICELAB
iFi audio
Jerry Harvey Audio
Jomo Audio
Kaldas Research
Kimber Kable
Manley Labs
Matrix Audio
MeccAudio
Meze Audio
Monoprice
MoonDrop
Mount Rose Music
MrSpeakers
Mysphere
Noble Audio
Periodic Audio
PrimaLuna
Pro-Ject Audio Systems
Quad
RAAL-requisite
Ranko Acoustics
Redscape Audio
Schiit Audio
SendyAudio
Sennheiser
Shenzhen Audio
Shure
S.M.S.L & VMV
Synergistic Research
The Audiophile Zone
The Source AV
Tralucent Audio
Ultimate Ears
Upscale Audio
Westone
Woo Audio
YuLong Audio
ZMF Headphones

----

What do you guys think? Should I go?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You could do some 'networking' with the manufacturer reps and see who will send gear to be reviewed! :D (OMG, Synergistic Research will be there! hahaha! ;) )
That would be the main value. Question is whether we want more gear as I can't keep up with what I have. :) And whether we want it to come from companies as opposed to users.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Looking at the listed manufacturers, I think your virtue may be at risk by rubbing elbows with many of the reps.

Best to stay above all the hype and, between test bench sessions, find an activity that really chills you out and enjoy!

Crane

Forum Donor
Go find us a good measuring tube pre/amp :D. I'm sure you'll at least find some nice new headphones out there.

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That would be the main value. Question is whether we want more gear as I can't keep up with what I have. :) And whether we want it to come from companies as opposed to users.
Good points. I suppose you could check out gear to see if anything is interesting for future review, or rule out some items if they don't impress you at all. As long as you're not dressed in that lovely bridal outfit in your avatar photo, you could maintain anonymity during the event if you wish. :D

I'm curious about the Quad headphones and other gear, as I only know that brand by its reputation. And you could check out the SMSL M500, I assume they'll have it there since they're debuting it at the Asia CES (started today, I think?).

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Personally, I don't care about headphones very much. I have a NAD HP50 that I enjoy every workday in the office. For home use, I've audited AKG K702, Senheiser HD600, Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro and 990 Pro. 880 Pro is my winner. But really I don't care about phones. Why use them when you can have speakers.

Newk Yuler

It would be a lot of fun just to follow Amir at the show and watch the reps reaction to realizing who was standing in front of them. Then the show they present trying to kiss backside, or squirm their way away, or whatever. Some of those guys must have an idea of how bad their wares would look scrutinized on ASR. And those who have already gotten their backsides handed to them. "Amir as in Audio Science Review Amir?" :oops:

Yeah, you should go. Wear a big name tag on your lapel. :cool:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Can't ask for a better time of year to go to the beaches.
The eye candy doesn't get better than that. :D

cjfrbw

Just go and have fun. I have had fun at the canjams I have attended and even had a booth with my stuff at one several years ago.

Daverz

Major Contributor
Personally, I don't care about headphones very much. I have a NAD HP50 that I enjoy every workday in the office. For home use, I've audited AKG K702, Senheiser HD600, Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro and 990 Pro. 880 Pro is my winner. But really I don't care about phones. Why use them when you can have speakers.

What speakers are you using?

I despair of ever getting the clear, detailed, uncolored bass with speakers in my living room that I get with my Sennheiser 650s . (Recently my demo for this has been the sound of the plucked and bowed double basses in Schubert's Symphony 8 conducted by Giulini in Chicago on DG.) Some ASR members have detailed the heroic measures they've gone to to get smooth bass response even in a dedicated room, something my little headphone rig does easily (Topping D10 and a Schiit Magni 3). That said, it's difficult to enjoy headphones when my tinnitus is acting up.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What speakers are you using?

I despair of ever getting the clear, detailed, uncolored bass with speakers in my living room that I get with my Sennheiser 650s . (Recently my demo for this has been the sound of the plucked and bowed double basses in Schubert's Symphony 8 conducted by Giulini in Chicago on DG.) Some ASR members have detailed the heroic measures they've gone to to get smooth bass response even in a dedicated room, something my little headphone rig does easily (Topping D10 and a Schiit Magni 3). That said, it's difficult to enjoy headphones when my tinnitus is acting up.
Funny I feel just the opposite. I hear what your saying about the detailed bass but it's the lack of the visceral bass, bass you feel in your body, that will always leave headphone sound inferior to speakers when it comes to reproducing a live event.
YMMV

gvl

Major Contributor
Probably not very useful, but can be interesting. I'm sure your friends from Schiit Audio will be ecstatic to see you.

maxxevv

Major Contributor

Personally, sometimes certain pieces of hardware will never come from users or an enormously long wait have to elapse before one comes along.

Having manufacturers send gear to you may not be bad as long as its clearly, and explicitly cited that is a set direct from manufacturers. And that any measurement from such is not 100% confirmed unless its a random set from users who bought it from the open market. And we can always confirm again once a user has one set to send in for you to measure and compare.

I think most readers will understand the rationale as long as its clearly stated. Besides, measurements from any set is better than completely none at all imo.

Top Bottom