• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Regarding IMD and digital volume the IMD will be higher when reducing the volume. The best case is to have the dac above -10dbfs and use the best possible analog volume control am i right?

noel_fs

seems like a significatly more expensive t2p in a bigger package and a hair better

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, the XMOS controller can do DSP, but to be truly usable that would require a larger screen and adapted controls (like RME does), and also software development (one of RME's strong points, probably chinese manufacturers are behind in that aspect).

If someone was able to implement PEQ in a simple way (probably loading the data from a PC), and then just switching presets, that would be a nice step forward in functionality.

Apart from that the EX5 seems to tick almost all boxes, but, is it a Shentzenaudio exclusive product?, nothing against them, but in Europe, for warranty I tend to buy from Amazon directly (they sell Topping, Gustard, etc., not all models and normally a bit more expensive than 3rd party sellers, but the bulletproof warranty is worth it in my opinion)
Has to be the next step. Dac (possibly with headamp) that can either have PEQ set with phone app or loaded via USB as you suggest.

NM156

@amirm Is there any chance you measure channel crosstalk on the headphone output (300 Ohm, both directions, frequency sweep)? I would really appreciate it.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would say that this is likely the true end game DAC. It does everything one could want and is going to be essentially perfect in real world use.
Almost a given I’ll be buying one or more. I already own a couple of DX3-Pro.
Only useful DSP is missing. Add that and the game totally changes.
Yeah, with the PEQ, I'm not giving up my RME anytime soon ;-)

cestmoi

2*9038q2m
L and H. Refer to 50mV SNR for low gain performance. The volume is digital volume so no imbalance issue.

If you release a cheaper non MQA version, I buy it!
:)

cestmoi

MQA or not doesn't really change much.

I'm in the market for a new amp and dac combo.
Just remove the MQA garbage and I will then grab your EX5. Otherwise, I will look for my new set elsewhere. ;-)

Don't play MQA files and you're good to go!

Since I won't play them, it would be nice if I didn't have to pay MQA fees, regardless of whether it's 'cheap' or not.

Anyway, it seems that the EX5 is really a great DAC/amp regardless of the MQA feature.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I'm in the market for a new amp and dac combo.
Just remove the MQA garbage and I will then grab your EX5. Otherwise, I will look for my new set elsewhere. ;-)

Since I won't play them, it would be nice if I didn't have to pay MQA fees, regardless of whether it's 'cheap' or not.

Anyway, it seems that the EX5 is really a great DAC/amp regardless of the MQA feature.
Then look elsewhere. To my knowledge there's no better device for the price regardless of having MQA or not.

Top Bottom