• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD800S Review (Headphone)

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anyone having a HD800 / 800S and who tried other headphones able to recommend a much cheaper headphone with similar qualities ? Am sure there would be a tradeoff but am not ready yet for a 900€ plunge 2nd hand.
FYI, am coming from a Sennheiser HD560S and AKG K702. While the K702 is said to have good soundstage, I don't find it layered and precise. It's rather blending instruments together except part of trebles. The HD560S gives a much better overall sound IMO despite being less spacial. So maybe a HP like the 560S with the spacial qualities of the K702.
From the experience I have from headphones I have as well (HD650, AKG 702, Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO, Hifiman Sundara) and from what I read about almost all flagship models, there simply is no other headphone with such a huge soundstage. The known deficencies (bright and low bass) can be treated well with EQ, so I would recomment as well saving up, if soundstage is really what matters (besides FR). In my case it is and I am not dissapointed at all.

Last edited:

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anyone having a HD800 / 800S and who tried other headphones able to recommend a much cheaper headphone with similar qualities ? Am sure there would be a tradeoff but am not ready yet for a 900€ plunge 2nd hand.
FYI, am coming from a Sennheiser HD560S and AKG K702. While the K702 is said to have good soundstage, I don't find it layered and precise. It's rather blending instruments together except part of trebles. The HD560S gives a much better overall sound IMO despite being less spacial. So maybe a HP like the 560S with the spacial qualities of the K702.
I have the HD650, HD800S and the DCA Stealth. I use Amir's recommended PEQ settings for the Sennheisers and both sound very good. I like the HD800S over the HD650 but with the recommended PEQ the HD650 gives the HD800S a good run for its money.

By comparison the Stealths sound a bit lacking in bass. I think possibly it's because I may have overcompensated with the Sennheisers. Note, I did use Amir's recommended settings. I do like the sound of the Sennheisers so I am going to experiment with just a little PEQ for the Stealths. I don't want to go overboard and make them sound boomy.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The Phillips SHP9500 is shockingly good after a little EQ. I think it's the best cheap headphone for soundstage, but only after EQ. Don't bother if you can't.

xavx

Appreciate your responses so far but am not sure how to reply :) Maybe what I ask for doesn't exist, maybe there is an alternative with balanced compromises that manages to mimick the HD800 to some extent. The HD650 seems good but its soundstage is apparently much narrower and not layered. Could be that soundstage, layering, precision and great SQ are very difficult to get together and maybe the best would be to rather look for decent speakers where soundstage is done naturally.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Appreciate your responses so far but am not sure how to reply :) Maybe what I ask for doesn't exist, maybe there is an alternative with balanced compromises that manages to mimick the HD800 to some extent. The HD650 seems good but its soundstage is apparently much narrower and not layered. Could be that soundstage, layering, precision and great SQ are very difficult to get together and maybe the best would be to rather look for decent speakers where soundstage is done naturally.
This is the point, I'm afraid, where you need to either take a leap of faith based on (any number of) subjective reviews or find a way to audition plenty of cans. The latter would be better but if you have to do the former, ensure a no quibble return policy in place.

xavx

This is the point, I'm afraid, where you need to either take a leap of faith based on (any number of) subjective reviews or find a way to audition plenty of cans. The latter would be better but if you have to do the former, ensure a no quibble return policy in place.
I would prefer to get both :) meaning the opinion of some people who already tried many HPs and found one/some not that far from the HD800 but for a much lower budget then compare a few myself using Amazon as return guarantee. It's very difficult to find ways to try out plenty of HPs and identify their strengths/weaknesses in a short timeframe.

isostasy

I think you're getting to the answer here, which is that you need to ask yourself what you're really after and why. I wondered about 'headphone soundstage' until I realised that l prefer listening to music on speakers, even not that great ones in an untreated room. When I need to use headphones, soundstage is never something I am bothered by, because any headphone is incapable of presenting the same image stereo speakers do. Hard panning can be a problem, but that's what crossfeed is for.

Peterinvan

I bought the original HD800 and couldn’t live with the treble spike at about 6.5khz. My tinnitus flared up and I returned the phones before they were even broken in.

my new Meze 109 Pros are my favs at the moment. Great soundstage, imaging, clarity, and deep bass. It took about 200 hours for the treble to calm down however.

Phoney

Dekoni posted this FR for their new HD800 pads. Doesn't look very good if this is accurate. Has the same issue with the bass as their other HD800 pads. Strangely there's a huge 9khz spike, and the stock measurements doesn't show the 5.8khz peak in the original response?

1667579062362.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor
This is because the used HATS is very different from the other ones and Dekoni, just like Tyll use a completely wrong compensation (it it Tylls rig).
You can kind of only say something about the differences between the pads (as the headphone and fixture are the only constant).

Last edited:

Phoney

This is because the used HATS is very different from the other ones and Dekoni, just like Tyll use a completely wrong compensation (it it Tylls rig).
You can kind of only say something about the differences between the pads (as the headphone and fixture are the only constant).

So that means that the 6khz peak is increased aswell? And do you think the 9khz peak is real? This is horrible in that case.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Could be a measurement artifact or real.
I know the HD800 has a peak around 10kHz as well as at 6kHz. Lowering that peak too much has an influence on the 'imaging magic' of the HD800.

To make this worse, the mids and lows are 2-4dB lower in level and both the 6kHz and 9kHz peak are higher so effectively the treble with these pads is even worse than the original pads. I would avoid.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So that means that the 6khz peak is increased aswell? And do you think the 9khz peak is real? This is horrible in that case.
As solderdude was saying, just pay attention to the difference between the two measurements, the difference between the two pads. Then if you want to translate that to how it might look in a GRAS measurement, then take that difference and apply it to Oratory's or Amir's measurement of this headphone.

ormandj

I've tried reading through all 55 pages of this thread, so forgive me if I've missed something, but as the market has changed/new devices are always coming to market I thought I'd ask. I'm considering picking up the HD 800S, but want to ensure I have a good DAC/EQ/Amplifier setup for the headphones. I use multiple OSs (Linux, primarily, with Windows for some applications such as CAD, as well as games that require it) and would prefer to avoid using software-based EQ if possible. I've used EasyEffects and it works, I just prefer to have the EQ done source-independent.

Looking through this thread, it appears that I should be looking at the RME options, or the Qudelix 5K. There is an enormous price gulf between these, but I am not sure how much I gain by going with the RME for my uses. I do not listen to music at hearing unsafe levels, and still have wonderful hearing thanks to years of avoidance of noise and lots of PPE, so as long as there's enough power to get them into immersive but safe levels, I'll be fine. Are there other options? I don't need an all-in-one, so if there's a good DAC With EQ that can be configured well for these headphones, I'm happy to go that route and add a separate amplifier. I would prefer to avoid something like the Loki/Lokius where the adjustments won't be repeatable, and keep the EQ in the digital domain prior to the conversion to analog, if at all possible.

With the above said, I also would prefer to maximize the performance of the headphones, so definitely do not want a significant compromise just for the sake of saving money. One other thing - I'd prefer not to increase latency significantly. I appreciate all of the advice/guidance you can provide, to include new product suggestions.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking through this thread, it appears that I should be looking at the RME options, or the Qudelix 5K. There is an enormous price gulf between these, but I am not sure how much I gain by going with the RME for my uses. I do not listen to music at hearing unsafe levels, and still have wonderful hearing thanks to years of avoidance of noise and lots of PPE, so as long as there's enough power to get them into immersive but safe levels, I'll be fine. Are there other options? I don't need an all-in-one, so if there's a good DAC With EQ that can be configured well for these headphones, I'm happy to go that route and add a separate amplifier.

I have both, but my 5K barely gets used since I rarely travel or commute any more.

Both have crossfeed which I think is even more essential than EQ for headphones.

The configurable loudness compensation on the RME is great for listening at lower levels and the easily adjustable tone controls are great feature which the 5K lacks. Also, being a desktop device, the RME definitely wins on ergonomics.

The Qudelix has more EQ bands, but the HD800 is already easily fixable with just 5 so I don't see that as much of an advantage in this case. It's price is the main advantage. It's an absolute steal and definitely the best choice if you're on a budget. If you go with it, you should get a 2.5mm balanced cable for the HD800s to make sure you have adequate volume for quiet or high dynamic range sources since the single ended output is a bit limited. You could just use it as a DAC and run it into another amp as well.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have both, but my 5K barely gets used since I rarely travel or commute any more.

Both have crossfeed which I think is even more essential than EQ for headphones.

The configurable loudness compensation on the RME is great for listening at lower levels and the easily adjustable tone controls are great feature which the 5K lacks. Also, being a desktop device, the RME definitely wins on ergonomics.

The Qudelix has more EQ bands, but the HD800 is already easily fixable with just 5 so I don't see that as much of an advantage in this case. It's price is the main advantage. It's an absolute steal and definitely the best choice if you're on a budget. If you go with it, you should get a 2.5mm balanced cable for the HD800s to make sure you have adequate volume for quiet or high dynamic range sources since the single ended output is a bit limited. You could just use it as a DAC and run it into another amp as well.
Just out of interest, which level do you set the 5K crossfeed at- "12" seems about the same to me as the Jan Meir (sp?) "2" setting on the RME.

ormandj

I appreciate the feedback. I'm just looking at the $100 vs. the $2500 or w/e for the new one with the 4.4mm balanced output for the RME, and asking if it is actually worth it for aesthetics vs. performance. If the 5K is going to perform as well, or very near to it, then it's a no brainer, and I can just grab a 4.4mm -> 2.5mm balanced adapter for a few bucks extra. If the RME is going to be significantly better in SQ, then buy once, cry once. I definitely won't be traveling with the 800Ss, I've got TWS for that kind of thing. I appreciate your input as an owner of both, thank you!

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I appreciate the feedback. I'm just looking at the $100 vs. the $2500 or w/e for the new one with the 4.4mm balanced output for the RME, and asking if it is actually worth it for aesthetics vs. performance. If the 5K is going to perform as well, or very near to it, then it's a no brainer, and I can just grab a 4.4mm -> 2.5mm balanced adapter for a few bucks extra. If the RME is going to be significantly better in SQ, then buy once, cry once. I definitely won't be traveling with the 800Ss, I've got TWS for that kind of thing. I appreciate your input as an owner of both, thank you!

I wouldn't bother with new ADI-2 Pro with the pentacon unless you have a use for the analog inputs or are also going to get some current hungry planars to compliment the 800S. I have the V1 ADI-2 DAC myself. The single ended is already way more power than the 800S needs and even enough for my DCA Aeon 2.

DSP and power are really the two most important factors for performance in full size headphones (IEMs need really low noise to avoid hiss as well) so it's mostly about picking your feature set. I love my ADI-2 DAC, but the Qudelix really makes everything else on the market look overpriced so it's hard not to recommend.

Just out of interest, which level do you set the 5K crossfeed at- "12" seems about the same to me as the Jan Meir (sp?) "2" setting on the RME.

It looks like I last had my 5K on 12/50 though I usually use 4/5 on the ADI-2.

okok

I think hd800s still the best choice no matter what kind of price point, @solderdude measured tons of headphones including the scary pricing susvara still chose hd800s at the end. learn from the best, if anyone is still in doubt about so many choices out there

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
I think hd800s still the best choice no matter what kind of price point, @solderdude measured tons of headphones including the scary pricing susvara still chose hd800s at the end. learn from the best, if anyone is still in doubt about so many choices out there
I agree. HD 800 S is stunning: The king of comfort and sound quality.
@solderdude 's head-fi qualifications and experience is amazing so which headphone he is using most frequently should be noted by others.

(the photo below is of my head-fi setup)
Screenshot 2023-01-11 182409.jpg

Top Bottom