• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD800S Review (Headphone)

Presently42

I've been tinkering with this EQ for the last couple days and I'm pretty proud of the result. Try for yourself! Preamp gain -5.1dB
Here's your eq overlaid on Amir's measurement of the HD800S (Amir didn't provide the data for this measurement that I could fine, so I've used WebPlotDigitiser to approximate the data). I've also included Amir's eq; as well as my own take (though I'm not convinced, that much should be eq'd above maybe 6 kHz; am I'm not convinced the trough at around 3400 Hz should be filled. I don't have my HD800 with me, so I can't test.). I've aligned the graphs at what I see as the average between 200 and 400 Hz, as Sean Olive's research indicates where we define loudness.

Egzampul.jpg

BaltColts

Presently42, your graph looks good. Could you please post your EQ, if you haven't already done so? Thanks.

Presently42

Presently42, your graph looks good. Could you please post your EQ, if you haven't already done so? Thanks.
Sure - but I must add the caveat, that I don't have the HD800S (I've the HD800 - but that's not with me due to the plague), so I can't confirm if this sounds good or not. I should also specify, that the eq profile was made using the green channel (left) channel from Amir's data; and that the data were taken from the image, resulting in loss of fidelity. In other words, use it as a basis for tweaking, rather than the be-all-and-end-all of eq profiles.

There are two presented: the first is closer to the Harman Target, at the expense of having a bit of a hump (in the filters) in the 3 kHz region. The second is technically further from the Harman Target, but I suspect will sound a bit better. As I've said, I can't test - but I'd be very interested to know which sounds better: can you perform a double-blind test?

Edit: also, adjust bass to taste; and don't forget to put a pre-amp of -10.9 or so dB

Attachments

• HD800S with 3 kHz correction.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 144
  • HD800S without 3 kHz correction.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 91

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are these bright for people like me who likes DT 770 250 ohm ? I really have different opinions about ''brightness'' compared to most. To me Ananda is bright and fatiguing but DT 770 is not. I wonder if HD800S bright or not for me. Can anyone compare this to Ananda, DT 1990, DT 770 and maybe Fidelio X2HR since Fidelio has really big soundstage.
I'm looking for tame, laidback vocals and rich lows+highs with good soundstage, air, imaging presentation. A headphone that can sound all around me. Ananda sounds like everything is in front of me and the sound lacks dynamics. Cool for wind instruments but can't really get that presence/punch from bass and treble.

Any name you wish, this EQ is very nice. Please keep posting others that you find enjoyable. Thank you.
Thanks, I have one just finished for the HekV2s. I'll post it over in that thread sometime tomorrow. I believe I pulled out some of the vocal nuances people talk about with the Susvara. Hopefully someone blessed with both can verify. Also try another .25 db on the lowest peak for a bit more impact if that's your style.

Are these bright for people like me who likes DT 770 250 ohm ? I really have different opinions about ''brightness'' compared to most. To me Ananda is bright and fatiguing but DT 770 is not. I wonder if HD800S bright or not for me. Can anyone compare this to Ananda, DT 1990, DT 770 and maybe Fidelio X2HR since Fidelio has really big soundstage.
I'm looking for tame, laidback vocals and rich lows+highs with good soundstage, air, imaging presentation. A headphone that can sound all around me. Ananda sounds like everything is in front of me and the sound lacks dynamics. Cool for wind instruments but can't really get that presence/punch from bass and treble.
I'd say theyre a bit brighter than the 770s sans EQ. They definitely have better overall technicalities. Im pretty sensitive to that hiss that make vocals seem harsh. Without EQ I wouldnt use them, very fatiguing. With however is a different story.

odyo

I'd say theyre a bit brighter than the 770s sans EQ. They definitely have better overall technicalities. Im pretty sensitive to that hiss that make vocals seem harsh. Without EQ I wouldnt use them, very fatiguing. With however is a different story.

graph.png

The peak seem bigger and wider on DT 770 but it also has dip around 3.5-4k which maybe the reason why they don't sound fatiguing to me.
As for bass, i have Zen Can Xbass which can really fix open back roll off nicely. The amp also has almost 1W output at 300ohm with 4.4mm balanced. Amp seems good for HD800S.
How is bass compared to planars ? It can't be as dynamic as Focal's or Biodyna's but i doubt it's weaker than planars especially the Hifiman ones.
graph (1).png

Tonality looks better than Ananda on paper to me. 1.5k dip and 3k peak is more harmful than 6k peak. I actually add couple db above 5-6k to Ananda to have some treble punch. The bass and treble is kinda weak resulting loss of rhythm in beats, instrumental part of songs. It sounds too flat and ineffective.
I can't audition anything in my country so i try to blind buy the best one for me.

Piatnik

Forum Donor
I recently bought the HD800S. I am not a big fan of EQ in general, but after some testing today, I must admit that Amir EQ (and probably others that are not far from his) does a very good job. In Roon, I add to apply a -12dB in the Headroom management, otherwise, it’s clipping on some bass intensive tracks such as Mesa on Blade Runner 2049 OSD. I used this track to compare with my speaker setup that have no DSP.

Please don’t hesitate to share your EQ settings. :)
Can someone suggest me an EQ software that can be used on MacBook Pro and Qobuz App ?

rcmo

I recently bought the HD800S. I am not a big fan of EQ in general, but after some testing today, I must admit that Amir EQ (and probably others that are not far from his) does a very good job. In Roon, I add to apply a -12dB in the Headroom management, otherwise, it’s clipping on some bass intensive tracks such as Mesa on Blade Runner 2049 OSD. I used this track to compare with my speaker setup that have no DSP.

Please don’t hesitate to share your EQ settings. :)
Can someone suggest me an EQ software that can be used on MacBook Pro and Qobuz App ?
Soundsource (+Pro-Q 3)

phoenixsong

View attachment 179022
The peak seem bigger and wider on DT 770 but it also has dip around 3.5-4k which maybe the reason why they don't sound fatiguing to me.
As for bass, i have Zen Can Xbass which can really fix open back roll off nicely. The amp also has almost 1W output at 300ohm with 4.4mm balanced. Amp seems good for HD800S.
How is bass compared to planars ? It can't be as dynamic as Focal's or Biodyna's but i doubt it's weaker than planars especially the Hifiman ones.
View attachment 179023
Tonality looks better than Ananda on paper to me. 1.5k dip and 3k peak is more harmful than 6k peak. I actually add couple db above 5-6k to Ananda to have some treble punch. The bass and treble is kinda weak resulting loss of rhythm in beats, instrumental part of songs. It sounds too flat and ineffective.
I can't audition anything in my country so i try to blind buy the best one for me.
Due to the bass boost on the DT770 users will be less likely to turn up the volume as much as the HD800S for engaging sound. As such, the treble peak of the HD800S would be relatively higher. I guess it really depends on how the graphs are normalised

odyo

Due to the bass boost on the DT770 users will be less likely to turn up the volume as much as the HD800S for engaging sound. As such, the treble peak of the HD800S would be relatively higher. I guess it really depends on how the graphs are normalised
I see your point but honestly i messed up my DT770's clamp(earpads are also aged) a bit so it's not as bassy as my Ananda actually. I attribute the ''lack of offensiveness in treble'' to either 4k dip or the soundstage/presentation. I mean you can tell 770 has more upper treble than Ananda but it isn't as offensive to me.
I don't know if HD800S or LCD X closest to my 770. I have the impression that Arya and Clear isn't close.
graph (2).png

Actually HD820 is quite similar lol but more wonky. Maybe aged HD820 can have more even freq response but it's way too expensive anyway.

Piatnik

Forum Donor
Soundsource (+Pro-Q 3)
Soundsource is USD$39 and Pro-Q 3 is USD$179. This is your suggestion? I have not found a lesser price for Pro-Q 3 and want to make sure that this is the right version and software.

rcmo

Yes, Soundsource has everything you might need. Pro-Q makes equing much more convenient.

AyeYoYoYO

The HD800S is the best reference headphone to date, specifically for those who are overly sensitive to “the irritating range” around 2-2.5k.

But I feel the scoop/dip from ~1k-4k keeps the HD800S from being as truly timeless and universal a reference head phone as it could have been, for EVERYONE.

I also realize the dip in this region was done deliberately between the German & Austrian headphone soundstage wars of the late 00’s and 10’s, due to the increased distance perception gained from attenuating these areas.

But I think the gains made in spatial perception is destructive to the overall impression, and time will show the error in these pursuits of insanely huge soundstages at the sacrifice of the truest reference FR.

Sennheiser’s next flagship HD can, the successor to the HD800S, should attempt to increase the 1k-4.25k range, and shoulder the perceived lessensing to the artificially inflated WIDE soundstage.

Last edited:

odyo

The HD800S is the best reference headphone to date, specifically for those who are overly sensitive to “the irritating range” around 2-2.5k.

But I feel the scoop/dip from ~1k-4k keeps the HD800S from being as truly timeless and universal a reference head phone as it could have been, for EVERYONE.

I also realize the dip in this region was done deliberately between the German & Austrian headphone soundstage wars of the late 00’s and 10’s, due to the increased distance perception gained from attenuating these areas.

But I think the gains made in spatial perception is destructive to the overall impression, and time will show the error in these pursuits of insanely huge soundstages at the sacrifice of the truest reference FR.

Sennheiser’s next flagship HD can, the successor to the HD800S, should attempt to increase the 1k-4.25k range, and shoulder the perceived lessensing to the artificially inflated WIDE soundstage.
They are more balanced in that area compared to almost every Hifiman but i don't know why Hifiman regarded as amazing stock tuning while HD800S regarded as bad. HD800S also has higher preference rating (harman).

GaryH

Major Contributor
HD800S also has higher preference rating (harman)
The Sundara, HE400i and HE4XX all have higher preference ratings (the latter approaching a tenth the price of the HD800S).

Last edited:

AyeYoYoYO

They are more balanced in that area compared to almost every Hifiman but i don't know why Hifiman regarded as amazing stock tuning while HD800S regarded as bad. HD800S also has higher preference rating (harman).
Not a single serious audio professional I have ever met has owned or used any HifiMan product that I know of. But their following and Audeze amongst audiophiles is quite strong.

In North American studios, it’s almost exclusively Sony, Sennheiser, BeyerDynamic, AKG, Apple (to know what consumers hear) and some Focal have begun popping up the last few years. Occasionally some Audio Technica or Shure with DJ overlap.

Every other area of the 800S tuning outside of 1k-4K is wonderful, but compared to many other longtime cans we all know and use like the MDR-V6 or HD600, the 800 & 800s just sound hollow and recessed in that key region. But AFA as isolated technical analytical work for reverb tails and Tape saturation like Empirical Labs FATSO, the HD800 is truly great, almost nothing better to hear the before & afters.

I just hope their successor has more forward presence in that region, more akin to the MDR-V6 & HD600.

odyo

The Sundara, HE400i and HE4XX all have higher preference ratings (the latter approaching a tenth the price of the HD800S).
I'm talking about the competitive(price range) stuff like Ananda and Arya.

odyo

Not a single serious audio professional I have ever met has owned or used any HifiMan product that I know of. But their following and Audeze amongst audiophiles is quite strong.

In North American studios, it’s almost exclusively Sony, Sennheiser, BeyerDynamic, AKG, Apple (to know what consumers hear) and some Focal have begun popping up the last few years. Occasionally some Audio Technica or Shure with DJ overlap.

Every other area of the 800S tuning outside of 1k-4K is wonderful, but compared to many other longtime cans we all know and use like the MDR-V6 or HD600, the 800 & 800s just sound hollow and recessed in that key region. But AFA as isolated technical analytical work for reverb tails and Tape saturation like Empirical Labs FATSO, the HD800 is truly great, almost nothing better to hear the before & afters.

I just hope their successor has more forward presence in that region, more akin to the MDR-V6 & HD600.
Hifiman build definitely not studio friendly i think ehehe. You can use a Beyer headphone for 30 years. Hifiman will have problems next year and you will have to pay ridiculous amount of money for spare parts. Audiophile industry is kinda ridiculous with all the overpriced and scammy stuff.

As for the dip, yes i think it looks bad here but it's not that bad in other measurements i've seen. Maybe some variance ? i don't know. It's still there though. I personally like dip around 3-4k for easier listening but 1.5k dip really takes away from the music for me.

Top Bottom