• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Stack Upgrade - SMSL SU-8?

heck

I guess I'm a bit too late on the party, but here goes...

I have a Schiit Eitr. It's basically a usb to coaxial spdif converter. But from what I see the su-8's specs, using usb would be better than coaxial input? Am I reading it correctly?

Currently have a Schiit stack: Eitr > Modi > Magni

So, should I sell off the Eitr and Modi and get the SU-8?

I would use Magni 3 while waiting for a balanced amp if I go for an SU-8

OP
H

heck

Seems like a good plan to me. You will get balanced out which is very useful and much less clutter. And yes, you don't need Eitr.

Nice! Followup questions:
  1. Will there be a significant improvement in sound quality?
  2. Later down the line, if I ever sell my Magni 3, can you suggest a nice low-mid tier balanced tube amp?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
No, there won't be a significant fidelity difference or potentially much at all. If your Modi is version 3, then it is a very good DAC. If it is not, then technically it is a lot worse, but whether you can hear any difference would be hard to say. My comment was with respect to getting balanced output which can help a lot with potential ground loops and noise coming from your PC.

On amp, did you say tube? If so, they are all horrible technically but the latest one I tested, the Little Dot MK III sounds good with high impedance headphones especially. See: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...tle-dot-mk-iii-tube-headphone-amplifier.7903/

I highly encourage you to get the $99 JDS Labs Atom though if you don't need the visual bling of tubes.

Oh, wait, did you say balanced? Do you mean input or output?

OP
H

heck

No, there won't be a significant fidelity difference or potentially much at all. If your Modi is version 3, then it is a very good DAC. If it is not, then technically it is a lot worse, but whether you can hear any difference would be hard to say. My comment was with respect to getting balanced output which can help a lot with potential ground loops and noise coming from your PC.

On amp, did you say tube? If so, they are all horrible technically but the latest one I tested, the Little Dot MK III sounds good with high impedance headphones especially. See: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...tle-dot-mk-iii-tube-headphone-amplifier.7903/

I highly encourage you to get the $99 JDS Labs Atom though if you don't need the visual bling of tubes.

Yes it's a Modi 3. I just wanted to get the SU-8 to get rid of Eitr and also for future-proofing in case I go for balanced. Most people say HD6XX sounds better with tubes that's why I was wondering to get one. But the SU-8 being balanced, so I thought of getting a balanced tube amp too in the future.

Balanced output.

Aaaand also one thing, if I completely switch from the Schiit stack (eitr, modi, magni) into something else, can you suggest anything better? Better in terms of functionality and value for money. Basically something that costs as much as selling my current stack. I know I'm asking too much and I can probably search for answers here in the forums, sorry!

gvl

Major Contributor
I would hold onto the Eitr until you determine the SU-8 plays nicely with your PC. USB inputs are not galvanically isolated on these budget DACs, which is fine in 99% of the cases, but if you're unlucky and get weird noices then the Eitr should be able to help.

Btw, you can use a headphone amp a with balanced output feeding it from a DAC into single ended inputs, so maybe keep the Modi, sell the rest and invest in a better amp.

OP
H

heck

I would hold onto the Eitr until you determine the SU-8 plays nicely with your PC. USB inputs are not galvanically isolated on these budget DACs, which is fine in 99% of the cases, but if you're unlucky and get weird noices then the Eitr should be able to help.
I can't. The money to be used in buying the SU-8 would be from selling the Eitr. Haha!

Btw, you can use a headphone amp a with balanced output feeding it from a DAC into single ended inputs, so maybe keep the Modi, sell the rest and invest in a better amp.
Wow, nice info. Didn't know that.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Aaaand also one thing, if I completely switch from the Schiit stack (eitr, modi, magni) into something else, can you suggest anything better? Better in terms of functionality and value for money
By far the best suggestion on value and performance is the JDS Labs Atom. You don't need balanced output. That only gives you more power and the Atom has ample power. For $99 you can't go wrong. You can get it and pair it with Modi 3 and be done with it other than it won't match in looks.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Most people say HD6XX sounds better with tubes that's why I was wondering to get one.
They say that because proper tube amps (not the hybrid ones) have a lot of output voltage so have plenty of power to drive those high impedance headphones. But you get the same thing with JDS Atom and don't need to mess with tubes, spend the extra money, etc.

OP
H

heck

By far the best suggestion on value and performance is the JDS Labs Atom. You don't need balanced output. That only gives you more power and the Atom has ample power. For $99 you can't go wrong. You can get it and pair it with Modi 3 and be done with it other than it won't match in looks.
Balanced output aside, Modi 3 or SU-8? Not because I'm pushing to get the SU-8, just want to know your thoughts on this. And thanks for the Atom recommendation, would definitely check it out too.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Balanced output aside, Modi 3 or SU-8? Not because I'm pushing to get the SU-8, just want to know your thoughts on this. And thanks for the Atom recommendation, would definitely check it out too.
Almost equal. Su8 has imd hump which to my standard is worse than a few ppm difference in thd. I would take modi3 personally. Like amirm said modi3 is pretty good dac. You don't really need upgrade. What you need to upgrade is likely the amp. Get an atom or something.

OP
H

heck

Almost equal. Su8 has imd hump which to my standard is worse than a few ppm difference in thd. I would take modi3 personally. Like amirm said modi3 is pretty good dac. You don't really need upgrade. What you need to upgrade is likely the amp. Get an atom or something.
What worries me in keeping the Modi 3 is also keeping the Eitr. Please correct me if I'm wrong, because personally I think it is better using the coaxial input, and since I'm only using my laptop I would need Eitr. But for SU-8 I read that it has good USB input. Can you enlighten me a bit? Thanks!

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
What worries me in keeping the Modi 3 is also keeping the Eitr. Please correct me if I'm wrong, because personally I think it is better using the coaxial input, and since I'm only using my laptop I would need Eitr. But for SU-8 I read that it has good USB input. Can you enlighten me a bit? Thanks!
I wouldn say if you want a new dac wait for d50s. The measurements showed superb performance.

gvl

Major Contributor
I don't think we saw any issues with Modi 3's USB input here.

OP
H

heck

I don't think we saw any issues with Modi 3's USB input here.
Yup no issues there. There was just many mentions of spdif as being better in Modi 3 than it's usb input.

Veri

Master Contributor
Yup no issues there. There was just many mentions of spdif as being better in Modi 3 than it's usb input.
Just keep the eitr if you are nervous about it. Get a good amp like JDS Atom. Balanced does not make anything sound better, just provides more power (and ground loop protection). If you don't have special niche super power hungry headphones modi3+atom will drive anything.

Getting the SU-8 just for balanced and then getting a balanced amp will cost you a lot of money. What's the use case here anyway, just headphones? Can't imagine it to be worth all the extra $$$

Top Bottom