• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit release asgard3

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When the output stage fails in a certain way this will bring out the magic smoke from headphones.
That could be a real bummer when one has an expensive headphone connected.
Most well designed and DC coupled amplifiers (both headphone and speaker amps) have such a simple circuit that can prevent expensive speakers/headphones going up in smoke.

HLee

Off topic
I'm not a native English speaker. "Schiit" sounds as same as "shit" ? or else??

MOCKBA

Probably I need to open a separate thread. Why do they use El transformers instead of toriodals?

Svperstar

I have the Asgard 2 sitting in my closet, I didn't realize just how dark/warm it was till I got my Gilmore Lite mk2. Its night and day.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

Jason1273

When the output stage fails in a certain way this will bring out the magic smoke from headphones.
Most well designed and DC coupled amplifiers (both headphone and speaker amps) have such a simple circuit that can prevent expensive speakers/headphones going up in smoke.

Wait, what; I don't like to gamble with expensive equipment, that's troublesome.

threni

Major Contributor
Wait, what; I don't like to gamble with expensive equipment, that's troublesome.

No need to wait. This is not an issue with the Asgard 3.

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

If I'm reading this right, the JDS Labs Atom also doesn't have DC offset protection, is that how you read it as well?

bboris77

Jason Stoddard has posted the following on the subject of output protection for this amp: “Asgard 3 has a muting relay and DC servo and passive over-current limiting, but does not have DC sensing.”

bboris77

A quick question for the resident experts here. I am a bit confused by the crosstalk specs on this amp. According to the specs page, it says "Less than -87dB, 20Hz-20KHz". However, when you look at the provided APx555 report, the crosstalk ranges from -64dB at 300 Ohm to -46db at 32 Ohm. It only goes to -85dB in preamp mode.

This leaves me puzzled.

bboris77

A quick question for the resident experts here. I am a bit confused by the crosstalk specs on this amp. According to the specs page, it says "Less than -87dB, 20Hz-20KHz". However, when you look at the provided APx555 report, the crosstalk ranges from -64dB at 300 Ohm to -46db at 32 Ohm. It only goes to -85dB in preamp mode.

This leaves me puzzled.

I just heard back from their support team - there was an error with the original AP test. They ran a new one which has now been posted. The crosstalk specification has been updated to "Less than -82dB, 20Hz-20KHz, 300 ohm load".

https://www.schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/Schiit Amp APx555 Standard Test Suite_ Asgard 3-2.pdf

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Saw your post on the dark side. Have you received the Bifrost 2 and Asgard 3? I did like how that stack sounded with my Campfire Vega at Schiitr due to its low impedance rating. Also, it's hiss free as well which is a bonus if you're going to run IEMs on it. BTW, the day I took this photo was the day I bought my Bifrost 2 and flew with it back home
IMG_1585.JPG

bboris77

Saw your post on the dark side. Have you received the Bifrost 2 and Asgard 3? I did like how that stack sounded with my Campfire Vega at Schiitr due to its low impedance rating. Also, it's hiss free as well which is a bonus if you're going to run IEMs on it. BTW, the day I took this photo was the day I bought my Bifrost 2 and flew with it back home
View attachment 45658
Not yet. Should be here later this week. The dark side lol.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Let me give you a small piece of my dark side subjective impression about the Bifrost 2's effect in the audio chain: incredible layering and tone depth. Its psychoacoustic effect in its sound presentation is incredibly good subjectively speaking.

Veri

Master Contributor
Let me give you a small piece of my dark side subjective impression about the Bifrost 2's effect in the audio chain: incredible layering and tone depth. Its psychoacoustic effect in its sound presentation is incredibly good subjectively speaking.
I've seen other users on this very forum share they cannot discern the bifrost2 with an apple usb-c dongle in a proper volume matched test.

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I felt the perception bias during the time I demoed at the Schittr. In layman’s terms, “New Gear Syndrome”. That perceived sonic difference goes away once you volume matched two DACs. I was the one who did a comparison between the Bifrost 2 and Apple DAC and found no difference as a DAC to my Saga preamp volume matched.

bboris77

I did an imperfect blind test between the Modi 3, the Bifrost Multibit A2 and the Steinberg UR12 recording interface last year. While I have no equipment to do this with amplifiers, I have a switcher that I can use with DACs. For full transparency, a potential issue with the test was the fact that while I could volume match the UR12 to the Bifrost Multibit via its volume pot which is tied to the RCA output, I could not adjust the Modi 3 output volume. Even though they are supposed to both be outputting 2V, there may have been a minute difference in volume which would have pretty much invalidated the Modi 3 to the Bifrost comparison in pure scientific terms. But, I did this for fun and to satisfy my own curiosity.

The only thing that really jumped out was the higher noise floor of the Bifrost Multibit A2 and the UR12 compared to the Modi 3 at extreme volumes when no music was playing. The Modi 3 also picked up some very mild RFI from a nearby airport radar at the same extreme volume setting. While listening to the music, there were audible differences but they were really minor and more apparent through the speakers. The Bifrost had a slight boost to the low end and different staging compared to the UR12 and the Modi 3. I could pick out that they sounded different when I volume matched the UR12 to the Bifrost Multibit which is probably the result of the FIR filter, but whether one is superior to the other is a purely subjective opinion.

Top Bottom