• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit release asgard3

peterq

I see when schiit releases a product, they created some new words about their technology(if they really have), time for measuring this new toy to see whether it just another release of new shit.

garbulky

Major Contributor
asgard%203%20internal%201920.jpg

AP report
https://www.schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/Schiit Amp APx555 Standard Test Suite_ Asgard 3.pdf

Does anybody know what their continuity topology is?

OP
P

peterq

The crosstalk is bad according to the report.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Does anybody know what their continuity topology is?
Yes. They have a class A push-pull output stage. Typically when these run out of current, they circuit reverts to class AB and generates distortions (so called "gm doubling"). They are saying they have a solution for this to avoid it. How real and important this problem is, I am not sure. We could measure it to find out how they control secondary distortion once power goes about half a watt.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Yes. They have a class A push-pull output stage. Typically when these run out of current, they circuit reverts to class AB and generates distortions (so called "gm doubling"). They are saying they have a solution for this to avoid it. How real and important this problem is, I am not sure. We could measure it to find out how they control secondary distortion once power goes about half a watt.
Oh this must be the transconductance thing they are talking about. This never made sense to me.
First they say that Continuity is as good as class A. But yet they have something like half a watt or something of class A. So if it is indeed as good as class A why have any class A at all?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Interesting (custom?) transformer there.

Is that an attempt at maximising power in a given envelope for an R-type design ?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Interesting (custom?) transformer there.

Is that an attempt at maximising power in a given envelope for an R-type design ?
Finally something technical I know about already..,

https___blogs-images.forbes.com_olliebarder_files_2017_08_rtype_boss-1200x900.jpg

A assgard would of been useful here too.

Shane D

Forum Donor
Just got mine, sounds pretty warm imo, so far very enjoyable!

Can I ask what other amps you have/have had? I am just curious about what kind of sound you like. I am looking at this and also considering waiting for the THX 887 model.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Can I ask what other amps you have/have had? I am just curious about what kind of sound you like. I am looking at this and also considering waiting for the THX 887 model.

Thanks!

Shane D

I actually had the THX 789 for a month (borrowed) and loved it, the Asgard 3 is definitely warmer on comparison but also very fun in its own way. If I had to pick one I'd go for the 887 (assuming it sounds similar to the 789) since I prefer a "clean" sound most of the time.

Also take into account that the 887 is $400 and the Asgard only $200 ($300 with built-in DAC), a very good deal if you ask me.

Shane D

Forum Donor
That is what is tempting me. I figure that at that price I can buy it, try it and sell it if I have to. I like a warmer sound and it would be replacing a Burson Fun-Classic. I was pumped about the 789, but I kept reading about product problems, availability problems and that it only had a one year warranty. The 887 looks the 789 perfected, but I don't want clinical, flat, neutral. I know those are must haves for the audiophiles and purists, but I am neither of those. As evidenced by my collection.:)

Thanks for the feedback.

PS: Isn't it funny how everything is relative. I think my Burson is a little warm, but enjoy it. However it is crystal clear, flat and neutral when compared to my Liquid Carbon X, which sounds almost "tubey".

I agree, and I enjoy having different kinds of headphones and amplifiers, makes listening to music a lot more fun. The Asgard may be good for you if you are looking for a warmer sound.

Any chance you have removed the cover to see if the power input is properly ground to the chasis? Also if not, does your unit audibly exhibit some of the hum, that's seems apparent in the measurements they posted? Are you using full size cans, or iems?

I have not yet opened it, however, so far I haven't experienced any hum or otherwise noisy background, I have used the DT1990 (250ohms), T50rp (50ohms but hard to drive) and SR80e (32 ohms) with good results. Another thing worth mentioning is sometimes Schiit stuff gets a scratchy pot (from dust collecting in it) and so far that has not happened with the Asgard 3, here's hoping that's fixed that now.

peenutears

@Dorian Sternlicht How is the detail compared to the 789? I have the Atom with a D30, but the sound is super clinical to me right now. I'm thinking about upgrading and Asgard 3 seems like a good choice

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Another thing worth mentioning is sometimes Schiit stuff gets a scratchy pot (from dust collecting in it) and so far that has not happened with the Asgard 3, here's hoping that's fixed that now.

The used RK27 volume control should be scratch free for decades.
I have 3 of those pots over various DIY builds and these have been in use for over 30 years and still works as new (no scratching)

The only thing I don't get is why there is no DC output protection. It would cost them about $1.- to implement.

@Dorian Sternlicht How is the detail compared to the 789? I have the Atom with a D30, but the sound is super clinical to me right now. I'm thinking about upgrading and Asgard 3 seems like a good choice

Well it's" warmer/smoother" than the 789, the Atom, and even the Magni for sure, but in general I find it still is a detailed clean sounding amp. To me it doesn't feel like it's"rounding" sounds in any significant way (DT1990s sound still bright and super detailed). I'd say the Asgard 3 is halfway between the 789 and a full tube amp like the Bottlehead Crack, if that makes any sense.

I'd keep both the Atom and the Asgard, for flavour variety.

The used RK27 volume control should be scratch free for decades.
I have 3 of those pots over various DIY builds and these have been in use for over 30 years and still works as new (no scratching)

The only thing I don't get is why there is no DC output protection. It would cost them about $1.- to implement.

I read they have used the RK27 but didn't know if that was actually gonna help with the scratchiness, glad to hear it does solve the issue!

As for DC output protection, I must admit I'm not electronics savvy (hence me being here reading and trying to learn more), would you mind explaining the benefits of it or how is it necessary?

Top Bottom