• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Bifrost 2 & Jotunheim 2 - No Sound (!)

Baasha

Hello All,

Just joined this forum. I just received my Bifrost 2 and Jotunheim 2 from Schiit a couple of days ago and just managed to set it up today.

I've connected an optical cable from my PC to the Bifrost 2 and then using balanced XLR cables, I've connected the Jotunheim 2 and then out to my headphones (Sennheiser HD800).

The problem I'm having is that I get no sound at all! I selected "Digital Output" in Windows Sound Settings to no avail!

I have another Schiit stack for my other PC - the Mjolnir 2 and Gungnir Multibit also connected via toslink and that works perfectly fine - my music has never sounded better.

Can anyone please help? Really frustrated right now.

VlNCW5s.jpg

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Aside from my having no clue what either of these components is supposed to do based on their whimsical Norse names, I would recommend reading and re-reading the owner's manual. (Note: I myself own a Modi.)

You may suppose this wisdom was obtained from a failure on my part to do that myself at one time or another. You may be correct.

mSpot

You can narrow down what's going on by swapping components between your working and non-working systems. I would start by seeing what happens if you swap in the Bifrost, and then the Jotunheim into the working system.

OP
B

Baasha

It turned out to be a Realtek driver issue in Windows! Updated it about a week ago and it somehow disabled my optical output from the motherboard! I removed Realtek and now everything works as it should!

Now, on to listening to this setup!

cinemakinoeye

Now, on to listening to this setup!
I would like to read your impressions of this combination. I currently have the Jotunheim 2 and considering if the Bifrost 2 should be my next acquisition? Right now I'm using the Jotunheim 2 with the USB Multibit card, but I also want to use Coax and Optical sources, so I'm considering various DAC options. The combination of the two sure looks good on your desk.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Happy Asgard owner here. Thinking about a Vidar.
I was also looking at the March amps, and the Schiit DAC/Pre stack would seem an appropriate front end. However, with the short cable runs in a home system, I really see no need for diff cabling. I get no noise on my cans just using the Asgard and my main speakers are dead silent. If running miles of cables in a studio or some fancy HT, then I get it, but it seems to me a market demand for consumer goods based on a false assumption that if better for pro, must be better for home.

Cine, how about just an external USB-PCM-S/PDIF converter-switch as you already have a good DAC? I bet someone makes one.

cinemakinoeye

[...] Cine, how about just an external USB-PCM-S/PDIF converter-switch as you already have a good DAC? I bet someone makes one.
I see there are quite a few USB => S/PDIF boxes, but I don't see any S/PDIF to USB, and I want to preserve my USB connection for the Mac, so I guess I could run get a Modi or similar box and run the SE out into the SE input on the Jotunheim 2 and be done with it, a much cheaper solution that adding a fancy DAC, especially since for critical listening I already have a Mac as the source via USB into the Jotunheim 2 (with the Multibit card) and that sound as clean as anything I've heard. Any more thoughts on this?

Top Bottom