• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Scammer Hi-fi Gear (Sensitive topic)

Allow disclosure for scammer or not.

• Not disclosed at all, only contact moderator or forum manager.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
OP
H

Hi-fi DTH

Another update for today,

After the promissed of yesterday shipping info and nothing shown up. Today he sent me an email claimed he had created an order but not send the product yet.
Then another red flag is on the shipping the product is only 1LB (0.45 KG) for a HD 800S Original box and even if the Schiit Gungnir is without box, I would not expecting this weight on them.

Have a nice day everyone! Stay safe and free from these Scammer and COVID 19.

Attachments

• Fake 2.png
    Fake 2.png
    137 KB · Views: 61

the_brunx

I normally look out for small details for example almost always if a scammer is selling multiple items and you crosscheck the item’s background for example the floor, table etc you notice that it will not be the same but in the case of genuine sellers, most likely different items still have the same background.
I also notice scammers like to list their location in remote places mostly next to the border to make it harder for someone to ask if they can come pick the item.
Never pay with PayPal friends or any unsecure method unless you have a good idea of what you are really dealing with.
Merry Christmas

Katji

Major Contributor
I normally look out for small details for example almost always if a scammer is selling multiple items and you crosscheck the item’s background for example the floor, table etc you notice that it will not be the same but in the case of genuine sellers, most likely different items still have the same background.
Do a google image search, sometimes you find the picture is from a different country.

buz

Forum Donor
If you buy, use PayPal. Or at the very least some other credit card based payment system. I've never had eBay, PayPal or AliExpress not side with me, BTW. FWIW, in over two decades of doing everything that is generally thought to be risky with credit cards, I had to dispute ONE transaction.

If you sell, wire transfer (or another system with final-final settlement) *before* you ship.

Or in person and quid pro quo. Obviously has different risks in Covid times.

Largely can't be bothered to deal with second hand, the prices are never low enough to warrant the hassle.

OP
H

Hi-fi DTH

If you buy, use PayPal. Or at the very least some other credit card based payment system.

If you sell, wire transfer (or another system with final-final settlement) *before* you ship.

Or in person and quid pro quo. Obviously has different risks in Covid times.

Largely can't be bothered to deal with second hand, the prices are never low enough to warrant the hassle.
I got the another DAC and AMP second hand on head-fi.org forum. They do sell good stuff as second hand and very precise about anything. There is a thing called ebaykleinanzeigen in Germany but I do only buy from people with a lot of good feedback and the price is actually real and not too good to be true.

buz

Forum Donor
I got the another DAC and AMP second hand on head-fi.org forum. They do sell good stuff as second hand and very precise about anything. There is a thing called ebaykleinanzeigen in Germany but I do only buy from people with a lot of good feedback and the price is actually real and not too good to be true.
I'll admit that I bought a Denon D2000 there over a decade ago. Largely because it wasn't available locally.

Not sure I bought anything used since.

MCH

Major Contributor
I find used market for audio gear very worthy. Devices don't suffer much and are normally in very good shape, there are many people that buy new and sell in a relatively short time, so you can find stuff almost new, and the technology does not evolve so fast that the devices are outdated as fast as with other tech stuff.

The way I see it, with cheap stuff, if you are scammed, well, it is not the end of the world, and for expensive stuff, the price difference vs new can be worth a trip to pick up in person or investing some time in good due diligence or some sort of insurance. The problem is the middle range, where the savings aren't huge vs new and if you loose your money it starts to hurt.... In this range (in between say 300 - 1500 eur to me) yes, maybe buying new saves you time and worries....

Ps: Yeah, Google pictures is the best thing ever, took 2 minutes to find the headphones of the original poster sold somewhere else. When buying expensive gear, is a mandatory check box

OP
H

Hi-fi DTH

I find used market for audio gear very worthy. Devices don't suffer much and are normally in very good shape, there are many people that buy new and sell in a relatively short time, so you can find stuff almost new, and the technology does not evolve so fast that the devices are outdated as fast as with other tech stuff.

The way I see it, with cheap stuff, if you are scammed, well, it is not the end of the world, and for expensive stuff, the price difference vs new can be worth a trip to pick up in person or investing some time in good due diligence or some sort of insurance. The problem is the middle range, where the savings aren't huge vs new and if you loose your money it starts to hurt.... In this range (in between say 300 - 1500 eur to me) yes, maybe buying new saves you time and worries....

Ps: Yeah, Google pictures is the best thing ever, took 2 minutes to find the headphones of the original poster sold somewhere else. When buying expensive gear, is a mandatory check box
I must agree to your statement, a friend of my also told me to do that and not gambling with second hand stuff unless you tested it by yourself with your own gears. Personally, I think 900 - 1000 Euro for a used HD 800S in good condition is a fair price. For now I will just enjoy what I have right now and move on. Definitely if I want to upgrade to anything expensive next time I will consider an onsite check or something.

sq225917

Major Contributor
I got scammed several years back on diyaudio.com. a previously legit group buy organiser just disappeared with everyone's funds, including about 3000 euros of mine. Lesson learnt.

OP
H

Hi-fi DTH

I got scammed several years back on diyaudio.com. a previously legit group buy organiser just disappeared with everyone's funds, including about 3000 euros of mine. Lesson learnt.
Thank you for sharing. I am very sorry for your experience!

sq225917

Major Contributor
My first and only audio rip off. He'd previously run multiple 100+ buyer group buys flawlessly. There was talk of gambling debts and German biker gangs afterwards.

Top Bottom