• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RPI always with Hat ? (e.g. Allo Digione, Hifiberry Digi+ Pro etc.)

Modellbobby

Hi guys, and girls,

question regarding RPI with Ropieeee XL or similar feeding a DAC.

Would you always consider a HAT on top of RPI to feed a DAC? I think RPI cannot do Bitperfect transport because of lacking Oscis right?

Please opinions here.

THX

OP
M

Modellbobby

The point is that without a HAT, the RPI4's direct transport to an external dac, via USB, is bit perfect.
But where does the RPI has two OSCIs 44,1 48 located to do the right clock?

RPG

Forum Donor
But where does the RPI has two OSCIs 44,1 48 located to do the right clock?

No idea....far, far beyond any knowledge I have. Hopefully another much more technically knowledgeable member can answer your question. My concern was only with the end result.

EdW

That's not a raspberry pi4. I've used the pi4 USB straight to a DAC with Ropiee as a roon bridge and it works fine
RPI4 feeding USB to a high quality external USB DAC does not need a usbridge. For example I drive a Topping D90 from a RPI4 and have tried quite hard to detect an USB noise issues and have found none, so I concluded no advantage to purchasing USBBridge in my setup. Similarly a standard usb cable works just fine too - no need to buy anything exotic - amazon basics or the cable that comes with dac does the job

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RPI4 feeding USB to a high quality external USB DAC does not need a usbridge. For example I drive a Topping D90 from a RPI4 and have tried quite hard to detect an USB noise issues and have found none, so I concluded no advantage to purchasing USBBridge in my setup. Similarly a standard usb cable works just fine too - no need to buy anything exotic - amazon basics or the cable that comes with dac does the job

Not sure what you mean. I don't have a HAT on the pi4. Ropiee is the OS and is recognized by Roon as a bridge to the DAC. Yes, a HAT is not needed with the pi4 for USB.

GeorgeWalk

I drive my DACs directly from the RPI via USB. I have used Topping D10s, D50s, and D90 as well as my Parasound 200 Pre internal DAC. All worked fine. No Hats needed.
1604348688616.png

OP
M

Modellbobby

Okay interesting.

So feeding a DAC via SPDIF does not make sense, when it has a USB because i can feed it directly from RPI 4 `?

The Allo Digione Signature is then obsolete ?

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Okay interesting.

So feeding a DAC via SPDIF does not make sense, when it has a USB because i can feed it directly from RPI 4 `?

The Allo Digione Signature is then obsolete ?
It's not obsolete in the sense that some make a choice to buy/use it. However there is no evidence that it's necessary or that it improves performance/SQ over RPi4 to USB. I run 2 RPi4 units, both connected via USB to a Topping D50s and D10s

doug2761

Forum Donor
I agree with the consensus brewing on this thread. I bought a Digi + Pro so I could have multiple digital streams going into my McIntosh C48 preamp with built-in DAC. I can detect no audible difference between tracks played at same volume wether through Coax, optical, or USB on my system. Just search this site for the various raspi measurement comparisons to see that there's also no measurable differences. For me it's self evident that the hat isn't obsolete because it performs a function I need. For about $50 you can try it out for yourself.

almico

Forum Donor
I'm playing this mind game now. My 2009 MacMini has finally outlived its usefulness. I want to be able to stream Amazon Ultra HD and I'm looking at the DigiOne Signature/RPi, but I'm not sure of the software. I'm not a RPi person yet, but I'm looking forward to learning.

I have a SMLS SU-9 DAC that has spdif input. I think that will give better SQ than USB in/out.

Here's a vid on the set up.

Last edited:

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a SMLS SU-9 DAC that has spdif input. I think that will give better SQ than USB in/out.
There will be no SQ difference between the two. Sometimes there can be implementation problems with USB, but you'd know about that (pops, clicks or whatever - not SQ).

I'm playing this mind game now. My 2009 MacMini has finally outlived its usefulness. I want to be able to stream Amazon Ultra HD and I'm looking at the DigiOne Signature/RPi, but I'm not sure of the software. I'm not a RPi person yet, but I'm looking forward to learning
I don't know of a way to stream Amazon Music through an RPi. Amazon are very protective. Spotify, Tidal and Qobuz can be streamed, but Amazon is a different matter.

doug2761

Forum Donor
I'm playing around with the HiFiBerry-OS on a pi 4. That supports Spotify Connect. I also haven't found a great way to stream Amazon music. You can turn on Airplay to stream from a phone or computer but that's going to impact sound quality.

I did buy a USB microphone that I'll use to try and turn my pi into an Alexa device. Not sure if I can have it be an Alexa and also be a Roon endpoint. Will need to do that with a different OS than HiFiBerry-OS.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RPi USB out -> KTB -> Linn Akurate DSM analog in -> Hypex NC 400 -> Giya G3
vs
Linn Network -> internal DAC -> Hypex NC 400 -> Giya G3

no difference to my ears.

Top Bottom