• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RPI 3B+ As a Bath Audio Streamer

charleski

Major Contributor
I want a reliable psu and not like the ones in the review which made the author write about his worries to leave it on without him around ;)
A reasonable point. But 160W is a lot to ask of a simple enclosed power brick, and I think that's the real problem here. It might be better to buy something like the power supply you listed and put it in a ventilated case.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Is this power supply compatible with this project?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013EU4KNK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_SYVP4D9QKY0EN91C084D

Aren't there a small factor reliable power supplies ("brick" ones) similar to the ones in the review?
That supply should do the job if you're safe to do the wiring. The brick style ones do exist, but often have a different connector that's more suited to the higher currents they're capable of, so you might have to change the connector or get/make an adapter. They're also more expensive than the one above. Places like digikey, mouser etc. will let you narrow down your choices by, voltage, power etc. although you may find the same models cheaper elsewhere. They tend to sell only from significant manufacturers with the necessary certifications, and have the documentation available if you want to check it.
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/ac-dc-desktop-wall-adapters/

There's a lot of discussion of PSUs in the other A07 threads, including the effect of supply voltage on temperature.

How much power do you need in your bathroom?

OP
L

lirsch

Well, to tell you the truth, I'm a real noob in this stuff, I'm more of a programmer than HW person, and live in Israel, a fact that force me to order from Amazon/Aliexpress and not from other sites.
We have here 220v, EU adapter.
If you can point me to specific power supplies from the above 2 sites and without any complex wiring it will be great.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
We should probably have asked before - what are electrical regulations like there, and have you checked what's allowed with mains power and bathrooms?

Do you have an old laptop psu with an ordinary barrel connector rather than the manufacturer specific ones? Those are usually 19V, 60W or 80W, and readily available from trusted manufacturers. I'd try with that first as I suspect even that will give you enough power with an A07 or its less powerful relation the A04. If you really need more power we can look for something else.

OP
L

lirsch

@somebodyelse , thanks for the reply.
Most of the electronics won't be in the bath but rather in other room with wires (Audio, IR) going into the bath.
As for the ps, I read it is better to use a 48v/7A and not 32v/5A in the review (or I got it wrong?)
I just need a reliable ps which will fit the A07 without any other wirings needed.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
That sounds safe. I guess that also means no, or limited, display.
Define 'better' - if you mean power output it depends on the load impedance. Your speakers are nominally 4-6 Ohm so the 32V supply may be better suited, but both were meeting or exceeding your speaker rating. See also pma's measurements with a lower power MeanWell supply, noting 48V will cause the amp to get too hot faster. Meanwell do brick style supplies in 24V, 36V and 48V with a variety of power outputs. The 160W is about the same as in the review while the 220W is a step up. They also have adapters for the connectors. I suspect you'll be able to find a supplier.
Meanwell GSTxxxA series
https://www.meanwell.com/upload/pdf/DC_plug.pdf

OP
L

lirsch

Thanks again ... You are helping me to reach the last pilar here ;)
Can you recommend a suitable ps from amazon? Again, EU adapter/220v?
If you're saying 32v is recommended for the A07, I'm with you, just point me to the right ps because as you said, there are a lots of them.

OP
L

lirsch

Maybe this one?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CTTWXHB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_RRKN3GY8A3MZBW25NM4C

I see some stores also sell it in Israel but I guess it will be x2 or 3 the price in Amazon.
Can you name another 2-3 good reliable ps companies or send link to relevant ps's at amazon?

Update: the price here in israel is not that bad at all ... I found the 160W/48v at about 54usd -
https://meanwell-ps.com/products/gst160a48-r7b?_pos=1&_sid=5dcf1f451&_ss=r
But you wrote it will get hot ...

Also found the 36V ps here - https://www.mouser.co.il/ProductDetail/MEAN-WELL/GST160A36-R7B?qs=w/v1CP2dgqrt8r4YEMBhdA==

Just confirm it's ok and i'll buy it, I guess I will also need adapter, right?

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
That should work. We're talking about marginal differences where you'd need to take measurements of all the alternatives to find out which is 'best' in your situation with your speakers, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I doubt you'll turn the volume up far enough for it to be a problem, but I may be making assumptions about the size of your bathroom and how loud you listen :)

OP
L

lirsch

Well, it's not that big ... :p
But can you say if the 36v one is ok?
And also, which adapter will I need?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
36V should be fine too. I don't remember whether the A07 uses a 2.1mm or 2.5mm pin in the power connector - you'll have to check. It's MeanWell part DC PLUG-R7BF-P1J for 2.1mm and DC PLUG-R7BF-P1M for 2.5mm and Mouser have both of them. At least that's my interpretation of the datasheets...

OP
L

lirsch

Hi again, few questions before I'm buying all the "ingredients" so I'll make sure I got it all:

1. How are all connections are transferring the audio from the raspberry pi to the Aiyama A07?
Is it -
RPI USB port > USB to USB C adapter > Lightning to 3.5mm jack (*) adapter > 3.5mm to RCA > Aiyama A07 Aux In? (* - this is the connector I'm not sure of ... It is lightning and not USB C, right?)

2. Can I use my long audio cables somehow? Why not connecting it somehow instead of long RCA cables?

3. Are there any waterproof universal remote controls you know that can be used in this project and a guide on how to manipulate the buttons to perform specific actions? Like play on spotify, play specific playlist on the rpi audio player, play internet radio? Move station up/down, volume etc ...

Iglo

Forum Donor
RPI USB port > USB to USB C adapter > Lightning to 3.5mm jack (*) adapter > 3.5mm to RCA > Aiyama A07 Aux In? (* - this is the connector I'm not sure of ... It is lightning and not USB C, right?)

You should get the Apple USB C headphone dongle and the USB C to A converter mentioned earlier in the post. You can not adapt the lightning version to USB for the Raspberry Pi.

OP
L

lirsch

Just to make sure I got you @Iglo , you refer to the connection using the RPI USB Port, right?
Can't I use the audio cables I have somehow?

m_g_s_g

Forum Donor
Apple has two different headphone dongles: one with lightning connector and another one with Usb-c connector. Make sure to get the usb-c one (same price). You will need a USB-A to USB-c adapter to connect it to the pi.

OP
L

lirsch

Yes, I understand it ... but can't I somehow connect a normal audio cables like these in order to transfer the audio to the speakers from the Aiyama A07?
Also, the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm jack have to be an Apple adapter? any good reason or it can be any similar adapter like this one -

https://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Ad...keywords=USB-c+to+3.5mm&qid=1616365394&sr=8-3

Or this one?

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Headp...eywords=USB-c+to+3.5mm&qid=1616365394&sr=8-15

BTW - the one that was offered to me is Lightning to 3.5mm and not USB-C to 3.5mm, that what caused my confusion I guess ...

Last edited:

Iglo

Forum Donor
The Apple USB-C dongle provides very good audio quality (for its price, but even compared to much more expensive DAC's it still holds up very well).

Potentially the other USB-C dongles like the ones you linked to are also decent but keep in mind that most dongles are not that good (or even bad).
Also no guarantee if these dongles will work on the Raspberry Pi and they are a little more expensive. So it's a bit of a guess if they work and regarding audio quality (as these dongles are not tested by ASR).

Personally, I would just get the Apple one.

To hook up the speakers to the Aiyama A07 Amp you indeed need some speaker wire, the one you linked to in your post will work fine.

So you should end up with: Rapsberry Pi -> USB-A to USB-C + Apple Dongle -> 3.5mm to RCA Splitter Cable -> Aiyama A07 -> Speaker wire -> Speakers

OP
L

lirsch

@Iglo thanks a lot!
Bought it ...
Now as for the OS/Software - does the moOde is the recommended one or are there any other better for my purpose?

Iglo

Forum Donor
There are more options like Volumio (subscription model for some features), piCorePlayer and many others. I personally chose MoOde as it offers what I want (good audio quality, stable, Parametric EQ, Spotify Connect, Airplay) but if you search the forum you will find some insights into the experience of others.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Get a few uSD cards and swap between the software options until you find the one you like best. They each have slightly different strengths, weaknesses and ways of working, so it's largely a matter of personal preference and requirements.

Top Bottom