• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ROKSAN K3

I just moved into my new house and the owner left behind this 15kg/33 pound MONSTER of an Amplifier- said he didnt want it anymore :)

It has bluetooth but was wondering what would be a great cheap (ish) DAC i can pair with it. As it doesnt have a built in DAC to just use an optical out pass through, the onboard DAC needs to be pretty decent I suppose.

I do have an old google chromecast audio lying about, but never used its actual analogue output. I have an IOTAVX SA3 / Monitor Audio Bronze 100 combo (fantastic amp btw) paired with it using optical out, so ideally i dont want to keep swapping it around etc ...

Also any good speaker pairings? the amp is rated @ 140w / 8 ohms and 220w /4 ohms - so its also a power beast !!!

Thanksamuchly

DanielT

Major Contributor
Hello welcome here!:)

*Budget for the speakers?
*What does your listening room look like?
*DAC, with or without volume control / pre amp? Combined DAC + Streamer?

Your ROKSAN K3 seems to have remote control. Cheap good DAC:

DAC / Streamer:
(With Linux)

Edit:
Monitor Audio you say. Do you have the wallet and the place for them, I had examined these::)

Less money, one of the most common recommended speakers here at ASR is:

But maybe you have completely different requirements, wishes?

Last edited:
OP
E
As an interim measure i purchased THIS cheap £20 bluetooth dac and connected a cheap amazon echo dot to it via bluetooth for streaming and it sounds startlingly good! unfortunately and rather annoyingly, roksan no longer ship any K3's built after 2021 with bluetooth due to chip shortages !!!! so the 5.0 bluetooth in this tiny DAC was very handy, plus it has coaxial and optical inputs. have no idea what dac it is but it doesnt sound fatiguing nor have that harsh shrill sound of cheap dacs.

for a dac i would like a 192/24 bit affair (for amazon hd streaming i do not need DSD or lossless etc) with built in aptx hd bluetooth and chromecast and airplay streaming. I do think i need tone controls as i do like to turn up the bass and treble slightly - not a v curve level but just a slight tweak.

budget for speakers prob no more than £850. roksan are owned by Monitor Audio so maybe a bronze 500?

Last edited:
Top Bottom