• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME DACs & Internal DAC Bypass?

ethanhallbeyer

My new amps will have 12v trigger. Can any DAC in the RME lineup do internal DAC pass-through?

I want to be able to use my Denafrips ARES II as the DAc and use the RME as a preamp, equalizer, headphone amp, and sometimes use its internal DAC instead of the Denafrips.

Is this possible on any RME DAC or only certain ones like Black or 2/4 Special Editions?

Also, speaking of 12v triggers, only the 2/4 SE has a trigger, so with the Denafrips or other RME DACs, I would need to press power on both DAC amd preamp to trigger on the amps, right?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The fact that you want an equalizer means that you need the sound to go though the RME DAC. They are not meant to be just a pre-amp.

OP
E

ethanhallbeyer

The fact that you want an equalizer means that you need the sound to go though the RME DAC. They are not meant to be just a pre-amp.
I don't need an equalizer, should have said it is a nice bonus bit that is it.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty sure the analog inputs on the Pro and 2/4 are digitised which means you are using the RME DAC in all situations anyway. I dont think you can send the analog signal from the Ares and have it simply amplified by the RME.

OP
E

ethanhallbeyer

Pretty sure the analog inputs on the Pro and 2/4 are digitised which means you are using the RME DAC in all situations anyway. I dont think you can send the analog signal from the Ares and have it simply amplified by the RME.

Interesting. I thought at least one model in their line-up would have a digital passthrough.

unpluggged

unpluggged

I believe the ADI Pro's have digital outputs as well as inputs
No need to believe when it actually does.

I wonder if the EQ functions work on the digital out as well.
All DSP functions can work with digital outputs, including volume control, EQ, dynamic loudness, volume ramp-up on output switch, digital DC protection, and so on.

OP
E

ethanhallbeyer

No need to believe when it actually does.

All DSP functions can work with digital outputs, including volume control, EQ, dynamic loudness, volume ramp-up on output switch, digital DC protection, and so on.

Thanks for confirming.

Esprit

Forum Donor
I'm trying an ADI-2/4 Pro, Toslink input, AES/EBU output.
Probably I'm doing it wrong as I can't find a way to control the volume on the RME.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
there's a difference between "want to be able to use" and "need". i don't need one, but it would be a nice to have. Simple.
Simple would be to sell the Denafrips ARES II. You have a awesome fully transparent DAC DSP with the RME.

Just saying.

unpluggged

Probably I'm doing it wrong as I can't find a way to control the volume on the RME.
It's all in the manual. Look for the "Dig. Out Source" setting.

Esprit

Forum Donor
Thanks, I'm returning it, I'll read the manual better for the future in case I decide to buy it.
Not using it as a DAC, I have to figure out if I really need it.
They sent it to me to test the Genelecs connected via AES/EBU.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Esprit

Forum Donor
I'm in Digital Through Mode and adjusting the volume on the Genelecs.
By the way I'm unlucky because the remote control doesn't work (We heard RME for the remote control because despite the procedure the LED does not change in order to use it with the RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE).

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You have paired the remote to your particular device?
Keith

Esprit

Forum Donor
As I wrote it does not commute to ADI-2/4.
I have done the procedure several times and I have done it several times also connected on video with the distributor.
No way.
According to RME it "may" be malfunctioning.

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's all in the manual. Look for the "Dig. Out Source" setting.
thanks for making that known to @Esprit... I was curious if the RME 2/4 did this... it's one of the best/most usable features of benchmark's 2&3 dacs -> the ability to pass thru any of the other 4 digital inputs to a 'soft-remapped digital input5 - as an output'... it pays to pay attention when reading up here... thanks again...

Last edited:
Top Bottom