• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Kundroc

The biggest downside to the RME ADI-2 FS for me is it's amazingly complicated, unintuitive menu structure.
Some call it burn-in - here it is the time needed, before the menu structure fully sinks into your mind. Once passed this stage, it works nicely while being unique to a very high degree

Jubijub

I would love to see the RME ADI-2 FS interface be less of a Rubik's Cube and instead an easy to setup device. I'm sure I will eventually learn the awkward menu system but having a computer or TV interface would be a big step in making it user friendly. If they keep the menu system the way it is users may need better video guides/manual and pass a required code breaker test before each purchase. :D
I agree, this is the least intuitive device I have ever had, and I had 2 different AV-receivers :D

dpippel

True, the interface is a bit of a PITA, but I became accustomed to it quickly and it's a non-issue for me now.

DomieMic65

Because mentioned above, I think that the filters have quite an obvious change in sound (doing a critical listening of course) and from all of them the SD-LD the most.
All the above when playing bit perfect 44.1KHz without any upsampling from the computer.
If upsampling (or playing high rez files obviously) the filters have no effect. In the manual is stated that from a point up (don’t remember the exact frequency now) the DAC defaults to a Slow filter.

JoostE

Question: Can you switch in the menus between the RCA and XLR outputs? (Can I hook them up to a speaker amp via RCA and headphone amp via XLR?)

Are they line level or pre-amp?

DomieMic65

Question: Can you switch in the menus between the RCA and XLR outputs? (Can I hook them up to a speaker amp via RCA and headphone amp via XLR?)

Are they line level or pre-amp?
Yes you can hook them up but work simultaneously. You can't switch off one of them.
If you use the potentiometer you control the volume it you have it locked it's in "line" level

JoostE

Yes you can hook them up but work simultaneously. You can't switch off one of them.
If you use the potentiometer you control the volume it you have it locked it's in "line" level

That is fine honestly, I can turn on/off the seperate amps. Thnx!

Good to know it works both as pre amp and line out. Thnx!

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Looks like the interface was a big hit, just can’t figure out what the final rating means.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like the interface was a big hit, just can’t figure out what the final rating means.

This review is idiotic. I can't imagine why anyone would listen to this guy. Whatever he says do the exact opposite and you will do fine. :facepalm:

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
This review is idiotic. I can't imagine why anyone would listen to this guy. Whatever he says do the exact opposite and you will do fine. :facepalm:
So don’t buy an RME ADI-2 DAC. Thanks.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So don’t buy an RME ADI-2 DAC. Thanks.

You are missing the point. The RME ADI-2 FS is a great tool. The reviewer telling listener's they need to spend 3x the money on a USB cable as the DAC to get a decent sound is crazy. In addition, telling people the only good feature is EQ because you can't easily figure it out and once you do you won't remember later - is also garbage. It appears he is trying to be funny - but some poor fool will actually think he's serious. I don't think this type of review helps anyone.

Grotti

Forum Donor
What the heck was that "spend 3 times on cable than equipment" "sound so bad" "garbage usb cable" etc
Thank you for quoting so I don't have to waste time watching the video. In fact I run my Adi-2 pro with some stock cables from Amazon and everything sounds on the point.

Don't waste money on snake oil: spend it on music....

Grotti

Forum Donor
You guys do realize that each and every "My Animo" video that Simple Theatre produces is hilariously and unequivocally satire?? IMHO, they are brilliant!
OK, will give it a try....But first I will prepare dinner before enjoying football :p

RPG

Forum Donor
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the NFL football season doesn't start until September. Oh, wait....you must be from one of those places that play something the rest of us call soccer. ;);)

Grotti

Forum Donor
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the NFL football season doesn't start until September. Oh, wait....you must be from one of those places that play something the rest of us call soccer. ;);)
I hate to be outed this way :D..... You are right: living in Germany and enjoying European Championships. But I have to admit, that it feels strange to look at thousands of fans in the stadium not wearing masks and ignoring the distancing rules.

Sorry for being OT....

Top Bottom