• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No problem. Just use ROONs volume control in the ROON-remote.
First of all, that doesn’t work, secondly, it would defeat the dynamic loudness calibration

(Roon->ROPIEEXL—>RME)

Last edited:

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For me, the ADI-2 Pro is the only ready solution for the unique setups I’ve run over the years. At first, it wasn’t. Then, they wisely added the remote control. It is now a superlative tiny, unobtrusive, blinking-lights-free system controller for multiple digital sources and multiple digital outs. I have to run one digital out to an 8-channel outboard speaker crossover, and a separate one to daisy-chained dsp subwoofer plate amps. Other solutions were a pain, with less certain sound quality. You can see my RME unit in the pic below.

Attachments

• IMG_0076.jpeg
    IMG_0076.jpeg
    308.4 KB · Views: 292

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Fk room just get volumio
Roon is great; I run convolution in Roon; that wouldn’t control the RME volume either.

Or was it actually fornicating with my room you are suggesting?

G-rig

Yeah I need to do a roon trial, shame not that cheap anymore. BTW I love the RME and the Vol is max for line in, that's the whole point with a hard volume control and remote.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Love the RME ADI-2. If RME wanted to make it even better they would add a low battery light or have the existing light signal when battery is low. While the RME remote is fantastic, that's only the case when the battery has substantial power. If battery power in the remote is low it won't stop working altogether. Instead, the volume controls will start to be slow to respond while other buttons may work. Unlike some other remotes the RME is a bit of a battery power pig. No matter how much or how little you use the remote EXPECT to change the battery at least every 18 months. I mark it on my calendar as a regular maintenance step. 3V CR2025 batteries do the job and install is pretty easy.

Remote Battery CR2025 directions.jpg

G-rig

Lol 2 bucks every 18 months is the least of the costs, how long do you expect.

palm

Great product. It took me a long time to decide because of cheaper (partial) alternatives (DACs with digital volume control, audio interfaces, …). But in the end, I think it’s one of these (rare) products you don’t regret purchasing because it’s never annoying: it just works and safely.

Easy to match output levels with your equipment, great performance regardless of the input, useful EQ options, variable loudness, balance, visualization of the input signal, …

Of course we’re reaching the limit of what can be achieved without a touch interface, but the new app to control from a computer or tablet (still have to try) is a nice solution.

G-rig

Great product. It took me a long time to decide because of cheaper (partial) alternatives (DACs with digital volume control, audio interfaces, …). But in the end, I think it’s one of these (rare) products you don’t regret purchasing because it’s never annoying: it just works and safely.

Easy to match output levels with your equipment, great performance regardless of the input, useful EQ options, variable loudness, balance, visualization of the input signal, …

Of course we’re reaching the limit of what can be achieved without a touch interface, but the new app to control from a computer or tablet (still have to try) is a nice solution.
Agree, great device and always sounds good. I got a RPI 4 connected via USB. No shortage of settings and haven't bothered with adjusting anything really.

It was an easy decision as I bought it off a mate for A$1k as he wants the Pro version.

Ohh what's the app will have to check it out? Navigation with the knobs/buttons isn't that easy. Cheers.

palm

But it exists for PC and macOS also

G-rig

But it exists for PC and macOS also
Thanks, couldn't see the android one but there are a few generic ones around.

Livnmuskoka

They not care because it works. We render all EQs where it is necessary with double precision and/or oversampling. You won't be able to measure THD on them.
Thanks for the reply. I haven't checked back after the first few days of asking the question, I didn't think I was going to get a reply.
I've owned the AKM version, and was debating on buying a new one. But have since bought a new Wiim pro plus and a used Bryston BHA-1 for the same price. No regrets. I liked the RME, but the Wiim streamer/Graphic EQ/Parametric EQ work well, and it's new AKM dac is very nice.
I still have 14 years of warranty left on the overbuilt Bryston amp. The Wiim and Bryston are now my favourite combo, the RME was a close second, even though the RME would measure better.
I guess what they say can be true, that as long as it measures well enough to be audibly transparent, it's then better to concentrate on build quality, power, and class A probably doesn't hurt.
I am also going to use the Wiim streamer and BHA-1 as pre-amp into some Genelec monitors in the future.

att007

Hi All. I just purchased the AKM version of the ADI 2 DAC. I’m using with KEF R3 speakers. These KEF’s (non-meta) can sound quite closed in the top end. In general - even if these are early days yet - I’m happy with the dac, however without any treble adjustment the high frequencies are sounds brutal flat. To hear them in balance with the rest of the freq’s I have to allow at least +5-6dB on treble. Bass is fine at zero. Is anybody have similar treble setting and it’s just fine because in zero settings they should sound flat or do I have the investigate further? Thanks!

att007

Hi All. I just purchased the AKM version of the ADI 2 DAC. I’m using with KEF R3 speakers. These KEF’s (non-meta) can sound quite closed in the top end. In general - even if these are early days yet - I’m happy with the dac, however without any treble adjustment the high frequencies are sounds brutal flat. To hear them in balance with the rest of the freq’s I have to allow at least +5-6dB on treble. Bass is fine at zero. Is anybody have similar treble setting and it’s just fine because in zero settings they should sound flat or do I have the investigate further? Thanks!
I have to say when the treble is on this level +5-7dB the amount of the details are shockingly good And doesn’t sound artifical or forced at all. I just thought it’s a bit too much.

radix

Major Contributor
I have to say when the treble is on this level +5-7dB the amount of the details are shockingly good And doesn’t sound artifical or forced at all. I just thought it’s a bit too much.

Everyone's room and hearing is different, so it's great to be able to EQ on the RME. I use it for several different headphones plus KH80 speakers. It's great that it remembers the EQ for each output. I also really like the loudness feature.

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In general - even if these are early days yet - I’m happy with the dac, however without any treble adjustment the high frequencies are sounds brutal flat. To hear them in balance with the rest of the freq’s I have to allow at least +5-6dB on treble. Bass is fine at zero. Is anybody have similar treble setting and it’s just fine because in zero settings they should sound flat or do I have the investigate further? Thanks!
I can't imagine someone needing for +5-6dB Treble with KEF R3s. The Frequency Response of the ADI-2 DAC is ruller flat out of the box anyway . Instead, you should check if some EQ is On with somewhat tilted down treble.

radix

Major Contributor
I can't imagine someone needing for +5-6dB Treble with KEF R3s. The Frequency Response of the ADI-2 DAC is ruller flat out of the box anyway . Instead, you should check if some EQ is On with somewhat tilted down treble.

The KEF has those knobs on the back to join the HF and LF binding posts. It's important to make sure they are fully engaged in the right direction.

G-rig

I have the rme ADI 2 fs great DAC. I usually leave it flat (using rpi4 -rme - Yamaha hs80m). Good having those bass and treble buttons if you want to adjust quickly with different sources. Just play around with it and set on whatever you think sounds the best.

The meta would be good if you didn't already have a DAC, speakers or a streamer, but not cheap.

att007

Yeah that was I thought too. I have a Topping E50 and SMSL SU-1 as well. Others doesn't have built-in tone controls so I have used the wiim mini's eq to lift up the treble a bit. Around +3.5dB what I used there. Wiim mini eq is off now. I've always loved the sharp treble, but when it still not to be harsh or fatiguing, so may be it's just my ears. I still can say that the amount of detail and the quality of the details are way better than on the other too but just surprised how "un-listenable" when the setting is on zero. Settings were adjusted here and there, so I've done a factory reset and the current ones are all my adjustments.

Top Bottom