• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
The Swissonic is under £30, so it's not not a huge outlay just to try it out. Shame there are no technical specifications for either of them that might give you some clue as to how they perform or which is better.

I wonder if Amir would be interested in measuring one.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the suggestions, yes I do accept that I would be converting from analogue to digital then back to analogue again. Vinyl is very much a vanity source for me, all about the theatre of putting a record on, I play music from vinyl around 1% of the time. Also, my turntable is 35 years old and is not state of the art.

@Count Arthur, You have got me thinking about external converters, whether it would be worth looking for one with a phono cartridge input/RIAA equalisation/ digital out unit? I assumed that such things were for connecting to a PC to allow ripping of vinyl to HDD?

What do you think, would this be possible? In fact, could the RIAA be done in DSP? Perhaps this would be overkill for me in my system.

Massive overkill but interesting for what can be done- I note one with a digital out is available for extra https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../parks-audio-puffin-review-phono-stage.19795/

roog

Forum Donor
Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed @Jimbob54 , that looks like it would do it, but as you suggest at a cost. Nice though.

I think the Line level ADC may be the way to go. @Count Arthur the Swissonic looks like a good option for the outlay.
My first measurements were from the Swissonic DAC. Its performance is not stellar, but I think if the ADC offers similar SQ it should be good enough for vinyl rips.

roog

Forum Donor
My first measurements were from the Swissonic DAC. Its performance is not stellar, but I think if the ADC offers similar SQ it should be good enough for vinyl rips.
Hi LTig, I spotted your post thanks and was about to quote it when I realised that you were talking about the DAC and not the ADC.

im not in a rush as my poor turntable has only been left high and dry for a month or so, but it might be nice to connect it up again.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Swissonic is under £30, so it's not not a huge outlay just to try it out. Shame there are no technical specifications for either of them that might give you some clue as to how they perform or which is better.
I checked the reviews at Thomann. Samplerate is fix at 192/24 and max input voltage is 1.1 V, probably high enough for phono. L and R are switched, just reverse the cable.
I wonder if Amir would be interested in measuring one.
If someone in the EU wants to buy one he/she could drop ship it to me. The RME ADI-2 PRO fs is good enough to measure it.

Jonlereux

They sound the same as any good DAC from RME should. Second DAC chip doesn't improve anything these days.;)
I was under the impression the Pro was a balanced design and the non Pro was not, hence the reason for dual Dacs. Don't quote me as I have no idea why I had that thought in my head.

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@MC_RME

Can you tell me why I can measure a relatively high AC voltage of approx. 90 volts between ground on the housing of the device, and PE on the supply system?
Turning the power plug does not change anything

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Fully normal with ungrounded switching power supplies. Connect the DAC to earth/ground and it will be gone. This usually happens automatically when you connect the DAC to computer or power amp, provided your house electric system does have proper earth connection for the third prong.

Bow_Wazoo

I run my RME with a smartphone, headphones, and the Furman ac-210. would it be advantageous to connect the housings of both devices?

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
As long as you don't have a real problem - no. But you could do so if you want.

Bow_Wazoo

Ok,
will do it.
Because the electrostatic charge is unusually noticeable...

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
That's not unusually at all. Google for it...

ninetylol

Am I wrong or does Amirs Filter measurement doesnt match that from the manual? Looks like the filters in the manual drop much faster before 22kHz and Amirs measurement drop at 24kHz.

skypablo

just to be sure every sound works as intended I have built a few dac/amp chains. The default filter of adi dac is sd sharp... comparing to the couple a90 (non mqa... I use qobuz and flacs)+a90... the chinese couple wins... but using the SD LD filter on the deutch dac against the mode6 of the d90 the game is very tight ... difficult to find a winner. I think the chinese couple wins by a little margin ... using d9200, and a few iems...

Attachments

• photo_2021-02-12_11-25-10.jpg
    photo_2021-02-12_11-25-10.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 172
  • photo_2021-02-12_11-25-15.jpg
    photo_2021-02-12_11-25-15.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 178
  • photo_2021-02-12_11-37-17.jpg
    photo_2021-02-12_11-37-17.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 182
  • photo_2021-02-18_13-14-28.jpg
    photo_2021-02-18_13-14-28.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 178
  • photo_2021-02-18_14-40-54.jpg
    photo_2021-02-18_14-40-54.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 159

Grotti

Forum Donor
just to be sure every sound works as intended I have built a few dac/amp chains. The default filter of adi dac is sd sharp... comparing to the couple a90 (non mqa... I use qobuz and flacs)+a90... the chinese couple wins... but using the SD LD filter on the deutch dac against the mode6 of the d90 the game is very tight ... difficult to find a winner. I think the chinese couple wins by a little margin ... using d9200, and a few iems...
Since I couldn't detect any difference between my ADI-2 pro fs and the internal DAC of my Volumio Primo: did you match the levels? And was it blind testing?

skypablo

Since I couldn't detect any difference between my ADI-2 pro fs and the internal DAC of my Volumio Primo: did you match the levels? And was it blind testing?
levels very well matched... it is the first thing I do every time I do a test.. it si quite time comsuming but it is essential

JIW

Am I wrong or does Amirs Filter measurement doesnt match that from the manual? Looks like the filters in the manual drop much faster before 22kHz and Amirs measurement drop at 24kHz.

The amplitude axis in the manual goes from -18 dB to 2 dB giving a range of 20 dB, while the amplitude axis in Amir's measurement goes from -100 dB to 10 dB giving a range of 110 dB. Taking that into account, the measurements match quite well.

Bow_Wazoo

Fully normal with ungrounded switching power supplies. Connect the DAC to earth/ground and it will be gone. This usually happens automatically when you connect the DAC to computer or power amp, provided your house electric system does have proper earth connection for the third prong.

In the meantime, I also had contact with the German RME support, and they told me that 90 volts is not possible because the Adi has a 12 volt power supply.
But, as I said, only a smartphone and headphones are connected.

Top Bottom