• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

REW measurements and 0dbfs level

snowbl1nd

Hello everyone,
I’m trying to measure the TempoTec Sonata HD Pro in REW as an example, as I would like to measure some other equipment in the future.
System: RPi4, Raspberry Pi OS (Bullseye), REW (Java), EMU 0404 USB.
The output level is set to maximum, 1kHz tone 0dbfs.
The input level is -6 dbfs according to the technical characteristics, but the REW shows -5.6 dbfs.
sonataHDpro.jpg

Looks good, I think)

At -3dbfs input everything is fine too. Sorry, I didn't take a screenshot.

At -1dbfs the third harmonic part increases,
sonataHdpro_-1dbfs.jpg

so at a level between -0.5 and up to -1dbfs the second and third harmonics begin to "jump". Thus it is impossible to make relatively accurate measurements.

Approaching 0 dBFS worsens the performance, and 0 dBFS shows only distortion and a huge increase in noise.

I see that others rarely measure at 0dbfs, but I would like to understand the logic of this behavior.

Thanks!

P.S.
Recording through Audacity gives the same results.

And sorry for re-posting, because Newbie-forum doesn't seem as "responsive", but I don't want to blame anyone)

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
0dBFS is a digital level and there's no automatic calibration with analog levels. If you're doing what I think you're doing the dBFS level will change when you adjust the knobs on the EMU interface.

Sokel

Master Contributor
0dBFS is a digital level and there's no automatic calibration with analog levels. If you're doing what I think you're doing the dBFS level will change when you adjust the knobs on the EMU interface.
Yep.
On top of that,Emu's sweet spot is at about 1-1.5V on it's inputs,it needs a voltage divider to get nice measurements for more.
There are some nice schemes in diyaudio,for making it usable.

Top Bottom