• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review: Audio Development W800NEO Drive Unit (car audio brand)

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Not sure how you guys feel about raw drive unit tests but since I am back doing those again with the Klippel I am going to share them until the consensus tells me to stop sharing them here. ;)

This is from a car audio brand called Audio Development. $800 for this. By conventional standards it's nothing great but the very shallow mounting depth might be worth it to some.

I have more tools at my disposal than most people in the industry. :D

Full review here:
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/driveunits/audio_development_w800neo/

DSC06360 - Copy.png

Audio Development W800NEO Horizontal FR.png

Audio Development W800NEO FR linearity.png

AD W800NEO Klippel.png

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
wow - costs like a medium-high end Focal

(I just have the medium-rare Focals in my car)

briskly

BL droop will tend to dominate the increase in Qts with excursion rather than stiffness. This particular woofer had little change in Fs, which should be the telltale sign.
I'm inclined to think the ~90Hz bass dip is an acoustical or structural resonance coupling to the cone, one that isn't inherent to the driver.
As far as Klippel's inductance model shows, it looks like it could have used conductors beneath the gap to target induced flux at that frequency, rather than adjust just one ring.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
BL droop will tend to dominate the increase in Qts with excursion rather than stiffness. This particular woofer had little change in Fs, which should be the telltale sign.
I'm inclined to think the ~90Hz bass dip is an acoustical or structural resonance coupling to the cone, one that isn't inherent to the driver.
As far as Klippel's inductance model shows, it looks like it could have used conductors beneath the gap to target induced flux at that frequency, rather than adjust just one ring.

Re: the 90Hz dip. It shows up in impedance both on the Klippel pro stand (clamped down) as well as on my IB wall (driver affixed to a 14.5x16 inch baffle blank, which is then affixed to a 20-something x 10 foot wall.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
nooooooo. It's not a subwoofer. Not intended to be used as one. It's purpose is to be used as a midbass.

OH gotcha.

BTW if you're reviewing car audio, not sure if you considered it, but the stuff from Audio Frog you may know is developed by Andy W, who used to work at Harman (JBL). Might be of particular interest to folks here, given the # of Harman fans.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
OH gotcha.

BTW if you're reviewing car audio, not sure if you considered it, but the stuff from Audio Frog you may know is developed by Andy W, who used to work at Harman (JBL). Might be of particular interest to folks here, given the # of Harman fans.

Yep. I’ve known Andy for some time. I’ve already reviewed a few of his drivers.
And currently am writing up the review for the GB60 along with a few other drive units...

Left to Right: Purifi 6.5, AudioFrog GB60, Dyn Audio MW182

214A2041-323B-45D0-88E7-157B2A7B6564.jpeg

0A9E962C-8433-4F78-BBCA-2C8427265EE3.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Yup. Copy/paste. I'll fix it later. Thanks for the heads up.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep. I’ve known Andy for some time. I’ve already reviewed a few of his drivers.
And currently am writing up the review for the GB60 along with a few other drive units...

Left to Right: Purifi 6.5, AudioFrog GB60, Dyn Audio MW182

Fantastic, I'll check out your site. Very curious about Andy's stuff. I was able to achieve remarkable results by following his tuning guide (albeit not with Audio Frog speakers).

Top Bottom