• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

DomieMic65

Flash Tone 1 right?
For windows
1. Remove all the drivers and app (even evaluation version)
2. Reinstall XMOS_TUSBAudio_eval_v4.11.0
-----Run the app ( V1.x --> If you don't see the Tone, that means you have V2.x)
----May need usb driver to see the Tone. I couldn't remember either V1 or V2 needs the usb driver in order to see
3. Must uninstall #2 (everything), then install Thesycon-Stereo-USB-Audio-Driver-V224.rar (if it sees the Tone, it would tell the version)

#2 ---- App can see V1 only
#3 ---- App can see V2 only (may need USB driver to see the Tone)

If you downgrade from V2 to V1, then need to install the app for that version otherwise, it won't see the Tone, however, any compatible usb driver still works without problem. The firmware app is for flashing and they are not compatible between the versions.

After flash, make sure to uninstall any Evaluation version, otherwise, music will stop randomly

V2 is actually better for SACD ISO where it can play very smooth in high bite rate compare to V1.

App and Driver: https://dl.khadas.com/Firmware/ToneBoard/Driver/
Bin Files: https://dl.khadas.com/Firmware/ToneBoard/
thank you very much for your help but still no luck
I did the procedure many times as you describe (and as I did before) but the device is not seen by the driver
I had loaned it to my brother for a while who uses win11 is there any case that those messed something up?
I think he didn't install any drivers on his computer and for sure he didn't do anything with the FWare

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I did the procedure many times as you describe (and as I did before) but the device is not seen by the driver
I had loaned it to my brother for a while who uses win11 is there any case that those messed something up?
I think he didn't install any drivers on his computer and for sure he didn't do anything with the FWare
Is it possible that you accidentally installed the firmware for the Tone2 Pro? I actually made this mistake and thought that I bricked my Tone1, but, fortunately, I was able to install the original Tone1 firmware to get things back going again.

DomieMic65

Is it possible that you accidentally installed the firmware for the Tone2 Pro? I actually made this mistake and thought that I bricked my Tone1, but, fortunately, I was able to install the original Tone1 firmware to get things back going again.
No it it is the fw for v1
Actually I didn't manage to istall any fw now. The driver (evaluation or normal) can't see the device
I do not remember what it is already installed
Do you know any command on linux to check the driver I have?
I returned to Linux and the KTBoard works just fine (it did on win too)

alashikata

That's weird. Maybe the usb has problem.
Using Windows driver or any other compatible drivers shouldn't be any problem. As long as you see Evaluation, then uninstall it in case it would use the Evaluation driver.

I use AlSA in linux (https://www.ap-linux.com/), it works pretty well except doesn't support SACD ISO.

I just looked back and couldn't find this one in instruction: Khadas_Tone_DFU_Tool_V4.86.0_201118.zip
Run this to see if you can see the Tone: Khadas_Tone_DFU.exe

Attachments

• Khadas_Tone_DFU_Tool_V4.86.0_201118.zip
    175.4 KB · Views: 64

DomieMic65

I do not. I ended up using Windows for all of my updates and troubleshooting because there's good visibility of device info there.
Yes you have a point !!

By the way I like your YouTube channe. The VitOS video especially even though I don’t use Roon.
It made me wonder about the results of my OS of choice Gentooplayer.
Sorry for the OT.

DomieMic65

That's weird. Maybe the usb has problem.
Using Windows driver or any other compatible drivers shouldn't be any problem. As long as you see Evaluation, then uninstall it in case it would use the Evaluation driver.

I use AlSA in linux (https://www.ap-linux.com/), it works pretty well except doesn't support SACD ISO.

I just looked back and couldn't find this one in instruction: Khadas_Tone_DFU_Tool_V4.86.0_201118.zip
Run this to see if you can see the Tone: Khadas_Tone_DFU.exe
when trying to run this I get this error:

dfu.png

alashikata

Now you can use Thesycon-Stereo-USB-Audio-Driver-V224 driver, XMOS driver, or Windows driver. Whatever that works for you.
XMOS driver is free and update all the time for experiment and testing. I think they only certify with Thesyson V224 so we no longer get update. So far V224 has no problem.

---This is the way to flash back and forth between V1 and V2
To downgrade V1: use flash V2 app loads bin V1. After flash you need to have flash V1 app to see the Tone
To flash V2: use Flash V1 app to loads bin V2. After flash you need Flash V2 app to see the tone.

DomieMic65

Now you can use Thesycon-Stereo-USB-Audio-Driver-V224 driver, XMOS driver, or Windows driver. Whatever that works for you.
XMOS driver is free and update all the time for experiment and testing. I think they only certify with Thesyson V224 so we no longer get update. So far V224 has no problem.

---This is the way to flash back and forth between V1 and V2
To downgrade V1: use flash V2 app loads bin V1. After flash you need to have flash V1 app to see the Tone
To flash V2: use Flash V1 app to loads bin V2. After flash you need Flash V2 app to see the tone.
I do not understand... the V4.86 driver is not for normal use?

alashikata

I do not understand... the V4.86 driver is not for normal use?
Oh maybe 4.8 for V2 and 224 for V1. I have tested a lot of drivers so can't remember exactly. Don't worry, the drivers don't compatible between V1 and V2 so whatever you have, it would pick up the right one.

DomieMic65

I have V2 so I stick with this.
In any case I mainly use the board with Linux so it doesn't matter anyway!!
Thank you

Madzesterzi

Hello, what format to use in khadas tone board if i`am mostly listening to music on spotify/youtube and playing games(pubg).Also what buffer settings are ok with that DAC?

Veri

Master Contributor
Hello, what format to use in khadas tone board if i`am mostly listening to music on spotify/youtube and playing games(pubg).Also what buffer settings are ok with that DAC?
48kHz 24-bit, for buffer use 128 or 256 kb with safe mode on (lower is better but higher is more stable).

Aldoszx

I think there is a msinderstanding here regarding Tone1 drivers and firmware.
For firmware v2 you must use only v4.86 drivers ! That’s because on fw v2 Khadas changed the VID & PID of Tone1 !
After fw update to v2, xmos generic drivers v2.24 does not work anymore.

DomieMic65

For firmware v2 you must use only v4.86 drivers ! That’s because on fw v2 Khadas changed the VID & PID of Tone1 !
That is exactly what happened to me!!
Thanks!

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The linux updater Khadas posted for the Tone1 was essentially the example one from XMOS with the VID and PID updated, so if that's all that changed it would be easy to fix the linux updater.

Top Bottom