• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

Carlo2AC

Carlo2AC

Okay it is definetly something they added this firmware and Peace APO,

when i go to the Device Manager - Properties - and un-check and re-check Enable audio enhancements i go back to getting sound..

* How would i go about downgrading the Firmware?

I uninstalled the new Khadas Audio Dashboard (which is basically a skin for the old ASIO driver), installed the [Only for some OS Upgrade XMOS]-XMOS-TUSBAudio-EVAL-V4.11.0-Setup and tried the old way of flashing the Khadas_Tone_Board_dfu_2019_0409-Upgrade-Firmware (v1.04) and nothing...

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Hi all KTB owners,

I always thought KTB with old firmware (I got mine from Amazon and don't recall the firmware version that comes with it) sounded very sharp. However, after I updated firmware to version 2, I found that it is not that harsh anymore. I wish to confirm if that was just my imagination or indeed this is something measurabled.

My own measurements found that with version 2 firmware, KTB has less voltages output from 6KHz and up, in comparison to Topping E30 that is voltage matched at 120Hz.
See my table at
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...topping-e30-listening-tests.17988/post-609611
See green highlighted row vs blue highlighted row.

If you still have old firmware and have similar low cost multimeter, would you be so kind help do 11 measurements with your meter and share your result?

I used REW (at -16 dBFS) to output wav quality tones to KTB via USB.

Thank you!

Last edited:

alashikata

I didn't test as the way you did. However, I like the new FW, especially the SACD IOS works pretty well without any problem. I am running on Win10 64bit and Foobar2000

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anyone knows how to install this within a pc case? My friend's using a Lancool Mesh II RGB with an Asus Z490-F motherboard

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Anyone knows how to install this within a pc case? My friend's using a Lancool Mesh II RGB with an Asus Z490-F motherboard
From what I remember you can drill holes for the RCAs in a spare card slot cover, and modify a cable to go from an internal USB header to the GPIO pins for 5V, 0V and the USB d+ and d-. You'll need to check the khadas docs which are now under https://dl.khadas.com/Hardware/Tone1/ - the schematic has the pin details, and there's a mechanical drawing (dxf?) with the connector details.

Devilindy

Hello Guys.
Thanks to the review and sharing on this forum that help me make the decision to buy this wonderful KTB board.

Seeing from the current trend of the upcoming Tone-2, I believe that there are many of you guys here who want to get a Tone-2 vibe on your Tone-1. So here. Let me share you the experience on how I get this space ship. :D A case for Tone-1 with DNA of Tone-2.

https://forum.khadas.com/t/3d-printed-case-for-tone-board-v1/8483

Many thanks to @Gouwa and his colleague to grant my request for 3D model of this case.
For those who also want to follow me, please check the link above. Enjoy!!!

20210109_202419.jpg
20210109_202734.jpg
20210109_203105.jpg
20210109_201451.jpg
20210109_201531.jpg
20210109_202057.jpg

Last edited:

alashikata

Have fun. The main reason I am back out is the new XLR connector. I refer the standard XLR since my gears are all standard XLR. Other reasons too such as chipset. I own 2 TB1 so there is no reason to get this Tone 2. I guess I am done with it unless it comes out with new design. Topping D90 is probably my next DAC for this year.

DomieMic65

After upgrading to FW V2 (successfully as the upgrade tool showed) the 2.24 driver does not ”see” the TB.
I did the procedure several times but my computer only sees the device from the Win generic driver. No ASIO.
Ok it’s not a big thing because I use KTB with my RPi and it works so it’s not bricked, but it’s an issue.
Has anyone had the same problem?

EDIT: issue solved.. it's a different version of the driver that must be installed after upgrading to the FW V2, (not Driver v2.24) witch is not in the Files/Firmware/Toneboard directory but only in the Files/Products/Tone1 directory...
I don't understand why they have it like this because it is very confusing ... but anyway problem solved! :)

Last edited:

Haze

Just a quick question. I've been doing some RMAA testing for fun and does anyone have any idea what that ripple is with the tone board that comes at around 10k? It is present with both the Atom and ifi Zen Can handling the amplification

Attachments

• fr.png
    fr.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 574

Veri

Master Contributor
Just a quick question. I've been doing some RMAA testing for fun and does anyone have any idea what that ripple is with the tone board that comes at around 10k? It is present with both the Atom and ifi Zen Can handling the amplification
It's typical of some of the ESS9038Q2M filters, most noticeably the Apodizing one. SBAF has a highly zoomed comparison, VS the Matrix ESS9038Pro

Khadas TB Frequency Response y-axis highly zoomed
index.php

Matrix XSP Frequency Response y-axis highly zoomed
index.php

We're talking in the range of 0.1db movements though. I don't think this is an audible phenomenon, not really.

Haze

It's typical of some of the ESS9038Q2M filters, most noticeably the Apodizing one. SBAF has a highly zoomed comparison, VS the Matrix ESS9038Pro

Khadas TB Frequency Response y-axis highly zoomed
index.php

Matrix XSP Frequency Response y-axis highly zoomed
index.php

We're talking in the range of 0.1db movements though. I don't think this is an audible phenomenon, not really.

Cheers

shogo

Have Tone1, v2 firmware. Is it possible to combine asio/wasapi with eq apo filters? Wasapi worked with 1.04firmware.

Last edited:

alashikata

I am not sure but make sure you install the new driver for v2 otherwise it won't work. The new drivers work for all plug-in in windows while older driver doesn't.

W1ll1eTheP1mp

Hey. Have anyone here tried the Khadas 2 pro? I wonder why it states 117 db crosstalk in balanced 4.4 mm and 69db in se 3.5 mm? The previous tone board measured here to approx 127 db?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Tone 1 just had line level outputs. You're looking at the Tone 2 after the headphone amp. The shared ground connection on the 3.5mm output compromises the crosstalk measurement, although in practice it's still plenty good enough.

Top Bottom