• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

W1ll1eTheP1mp

What is the reason for such an item in front of an Earmen Sparror dongle or similar pls? KTB 2 is senseless to me.
Well, its not a must, but its nice to have DSD512 instead of DSD128 as of Earmen when using Roon. KTB 2 has volume control also. Im not gonna use it with a phone. I got LG V40.

what're the benefits from upgrading the firmware on the tb1? i only play 44.1khz flac and .wav files via fb2k wasapi, is there any point in bothering?

alashikata

1. No benefit, however you can keep up with the new driver if there is one. If it works, then don't touch until it fails on new pc/lt, windows or something.
2. Benefit: to play files with higher khz and stable with SACD ISO.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's typical of some of the ESS9038Q2M filters, most noticeably the Apodizing one. SBAF has a highly zoomed comparison, VS the Matrix ESS9038Pro

Khadas TB Frequency Response y-axis highly zoomed
index.php

Matrix XSP Frequency Response y-axis highly zoomed
index.php

We're talking in the range of 0.1db movements though. I don't think this is an audible phenomenon, not really.

I have just placed an order for the tone board. Is the filter user selectable? I get the impression it is not.

Veri

Master Contributor
I have just placed an order for the tone board. Is the filter user selectable? I get the impression it is not.

Nope. But it is not really an audible issue. If you are concerned use 88/96kHz sampling rate and you get a flat line.

kchap

Forum Donor
Nope. But it is not really an audible issue. If you are concerned use 88/96kHz sampling rate and you get a flat line.
Thanks for the confirmation. I thought it was the case that that the filter was fixed so I'm not concerned.

schmalgausen

Is the Tone Board still actual? I use Objective DAC many years and not sure if it will be audible upgrade.

schmalgausen

I found tone1 by accident and I'm not sure if it is the best at the moment because I am not a big fan to research all the news.

phoenixsong

I found tone1 by accident and I'm not sure if it is the best at the moment because I am not a big fan to research all the news.
It is quite far from the best, but whether you will hear any difference is dependent on its own set of factors

dsnyder0cnn

I have the Tone1. It sounds pretty good. Uses the Apodizing filter in the ESS DAC (not changeable). Here's the frequency and step response that I've measured (1 dB scale, so variations are not audible):

KTB Resp.png

KTB Step.png

Some pre-ringing, but not horrible for a $99 (now $79) DAC. The Tone2 Pro has selectable filters, some of which have significantly better time-domain response. (I'll look around to see if I can find my test results. If so, I'll edit this post.)

As others have suggested, the Tone1 is far from the best these days for DACs under $200.
Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 8.27.40 AM.png

Note: The Topping D30 Pro really should not be on this list as it's $399. I guess it's just missing price information in this database.

The Tone2 Pro is in fact, by a fair margin, the best Amir has measured under $200. This is due, in part, to the availability of the novel balanced RCA outputs (balanced outputs are uncommon in DACs under $200). However, using them requires an additional expense of $49 - $79 for balanced RCA to XLR cables (I have both lengths…nicely built and worth the cost, IMHO).

I find the internal headphone amp to be adequate but not great (better, if you use the I2S input for power). What is great is the sound of the Tone2 Pro via balanced connection into a suitable external amp or preamp. I find that the HYBRID FAST filter has the best sound. Although you can buy the Tone1 + case + suitable interconnects for under $125, if you have a resolving system downstream, I think you'll find that the Tone2 Pro + balanced RCA cables ($250) is at least twice as nice.

E-MU Teak + THX AAA + ZEN Stream.jpeg

Last edited:

kchap

Forum Donor
I also have a tone 1 DAC. I would have preferred a linear phase sharp cutoff filter but I doubt I can hear the difference. The DAC is powered via the USB cable so I get a large pop in my speakers when the streamer is switched on and again when it is switched off. I'm looking into solutions for that issue but apart from that issue I'm happy.

Top Bottom