• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping NX4 DSD Dac and Portable Headphone Amplifier

Jimster480

Major Contributor
At a similar price point, you could consider a look at the Breeze Audio's (so called) HA5000 based headphone amplifier.
Its a discrete amp, and plenty of power. Very low, sub-1 Ohm output impedance value too.

But to be upfront, I have not heard it myself, just some anecdotal reviews and the specs sheet.
Honestly I use the A30 all the time and its a great Amp! Used with my Aeons there seems to be no difference from my O2 with volume matching.
I've used it with quite a few headphones and overall its a great amp!

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Yes, if my memory is correct. That was a while ago.

Did they come up with “S” version? Or was that the current DSD version.

Bhargu

Hi Amir,

Thank you for a great review. I have been looking for such a portable amp/DAC for a while, so this review is timely. Definitely on my to-buy list.

The thread over at HF mentioned a new more expensive version to come out (NX4S ?) so perhaps it’s a good time to get one of these NX4. I’m always weary when audio companies try to “improve” things with an “S” version :)

Aren't they talking about this model?

Bhargu

The only upcoming Topping device that was confirmed seems to be A50. I am personally hoping for something as good looking as D50.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
The only upcoming Topping device that was confirmed seems to be A50. I am personally hoping for something as good looking as D50.
They told me that they are going for a low impedance this time to match with their mobile products. Lets see what they come out with!

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Is it just coincidence that NX4 DSD is measured by ASR and then suddenly there is a drop at MassDrop? ;)

Same thing seems to have occurred with the D50.

If so, then this is good development :cool:

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sometimes I hate Massdrop, always tempting me, and today is no different, lol.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is it just coincidence that NX4 DSD is measured by ASR and then suddenly there is a drop at MassDrop? ;)

Same thing seems to have occurred with the D50.

If so, then this is good development :cool:
:)

It is as you say. People have asked me to organize such buys butI don't like the conflict of interest that can create. So seeing a third-party do it, serves the community without getting me getting involved.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sometimes I hate Massdrop, always tempting me, and today is no different, lol.
I am the same way. Every time I go there I want to buy four or five things they are offering.....

mi-fu

Forum Donor
I think Massdrop would start a new drop of Topping once the previous drop started to ship. I just got an email from Massdrop this morning that my D50 is shipping today, then I see the new NX4 drop.

Oh. Im tempted to get the NX4 too. But I have the DX7s and D50 now. I need a good reason to convince myself! :rolleyes:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I think Massdrop would start a new drop of Topping once the previous drop started to ship. I just got an email from Massdrop this morning that my D50 is shipping today, then I see the new NX4 drop.

Oh. Im tempted to get the NX4 too. But I have the DX7s and D50 now. I need a good reason to convince myself! :rolleyes:
But its also based on people requesting it. I think that people read reviews here and then request on massdrop and this is what ends up happening.

Bhargu

Outside US, getting it from AliExpress seems to be a better option.

manoy385

Is there anything the D50 does better than this to justify the $90 price difference? They seem to measure the same but I'm bad at reading graphs. I'm planning to use it as a desktop DAC for my speakers but the portability of the NX4 is nice bonus.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Forum Donor
Massdrop doesn't ship until August. And then takes 3 weeks to get to me in Australia via germany (that's what happened when I bought my D10).

Hardly seems worth the $20 saving

Bhargu

Amazon US has this fulfilled by Amazon itself. I think for Australia, it is still coming from China. How long will it take from China to Australia?

Top Bottom