• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX7s DAC and Headphone Amp

chi2

Forum Donor
Have ordered a new cable as the current ones may be the most probable cause.
BTW my first DX7s purchased from Massdrop arrived defective. It had pretty strong static-like noises in he left channel of the headphone out - independent of the level setting. Massdrop handled the exchange very well. They replied on a Sunday and a new DX7s was sent out within 36 hours. No need to send the defective one back before. Thanks to the precise customs declaration I didn’t have to pay the Swiss customs fees a second time. The replacement works perfectly. I love its flexibility.

Mimizone

Hi everyone. Only recently discovered this forum when googling for more technical details on the DX7s. So thanks all for providing so much details in here!
This Amp/DAC looks very attractive to me but I wonder how it would sound on my Audeze LCD-XC. Those are 27 ohms or so I believe. But has planars, that may be less of an issue?
since I don't understand all the technicality of the impedance mismatch and planars, Is there anyone that tried that combo and could give me an opinion?
So far I only use a portable Oppo HA-2 SE as my amp for the Audeze and I am looking for a DAC supporting DSD256, a bigger amp that would stay on my desk and balanced outputs to try what it is about and in the future drive maybe active monitors. Sound like the topping could be matching all those characteristics if the headphone amp is good on the LCD-XC...
Thanks for any information or opinion.

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi everyone. Only recently discovered this forum when googling for more technical details on the DX7s. So thanks all for providing so much details in here!
This Amp/DAC looks very attractive to me but I wonder how it would sound on my Audeze LCD-XC. Those are 27 ohms or so I believe. But has planars, that may be less of an issue?
since I don't understand all the technicality of the impedance mismatch and planars, Is there anyone that tried that combo and could give me an opinion?
So far I only use a portable Oppo HA-2 SE as my amp for the Audeze and I am looking for a DAC supporting DSD256, a bigger amp that would stay on my desk and balanced outputs to try what it is about and in the future drive maybe active monitors. Sound like the topping could be matching all those characteristics if the headphone amp is good on the LCD-XC...
Thanks for any information or opinion.
Most planars have a flat impedance curve, which is the curve that displays frequency response changes according to impedance output of what you're listening to. I believe the DX7 will be fine.

J.I.T

@amirm
hello, I have a question about choosing dx7/dx7s.

personally, I owned dx7/dx7s both. usb to dx7s, coax out from dx7s to dx7. both line out connect to thx aaa 789 amp.
but I add adi 2 pro fs as main dac/amp and I bought one more thx aaa 789 amp that will be arrived weeks later.

I could connect both dx7/dx7s from adi 2 pro fs through coax/toslink. but I don't have space to stack more devices.
so, I need to choose to rid of 1 dac. dx7 or dx7s.

for both headphone & line out. which one is better option? just newer dx7s?

graz_lag

Major Contributor
I am going to receive my Topping DX7s this Saturday ...
My goal is to replace with it the on-board DAC within my Harman Kardon HK990 integrated amplifier, which is currently S/PDIF fed via the Weiss INT204 interface.

I am looking to any comment abt. the gains (theoretically audible if any) I may expecting to get with the DX7s over the on-board DAC ... :)
I copy paste the Stereophile John Atkinson's measurement link for the HK990.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/harman-kardon-hk-990-integrated-amplifier-measurements

- The resolution increasing capability from the 96kHz covered by the HK990 is obvious and that was one of the reason for which I decided to go for this upgrade
- The level mismatch between the two channels might be - or not, limited to the unit Mr. Atkinson tested

The DX7s will be linked to the HTPC via USB.
The connection between the DX7s and HK990 will be via the balanced XLRs.

Thank you ! ;)

priamXus

Do you think his would be a make a good pairing with my Hd6xx instead of the Schiity Valhalla 2? Out of everything kinda like this, a lot... wondering about subjective impressions.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Do you think his would be a make a good pairing with my Hd6xx instead of the Schiity Valhalla 2? Out of everything kinda like this, a lot... wondering about subjective impressions.

I have got my DX7s one week ago, listening since in parallel back & forth with my other DAC, the NAD M51 ... Well, I would buy three DX7s for the price of one NAD M51 on my next life ... Ohh ... the NAD brand on the case is surely nicer and shiner than Topping, as well as the case overall finish, but who cares ?
As headphones, I am with the AKG K701, harder to drive than the HD6xx.
I am so happy this forum let me discover this Topping brand ... ;) hoping they can keep up with the good reputation they are getting right now and growing into a larger business.
That will be of benefit to all audiophiles.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I could connect both dx7/dx7s from adi 2 pro fs through coax/toslink. but I don't have space to stack more devices.
so, I need to choose to rid of 1 dac. dx7 or dx7s.
I liked my DX7 more than DX7s and was sad to see it leave (someone wanted to buy it). That would be the one I would keep since it also has a very nice metal remote control. It also doesn't have the ESS hump which the DX7s has.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
I liked my DX7 more than DX7s and was sad to see it leave (someone wanted to buy it). That would be the one I would keep since it also has a very nice metal remote control. It also doesn't have the ESS hump which the DX7s has.

Although I just got my DX7s last week, I am negotiating a "true DX7" from a fellow who bought it 2 months ago but does not like it.
I could then sell my DX7s ...
The only downside is the silver finish for the DX7 over the black one of my DX7s.
Did you find the reason for the ESS hump BTW ?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Did you find the reason for the ESS hump BTW ?
No, I think collectively we are all still lost in the woods. :) We got close to some theories in the ESS hump thread but other data negated that (I think). At this point given lack of care/response from ESS, I think it is best that we all move on to AKM parts without this issue...

vaho83

Hello. Sorry for my bad english.
I have this DAC. Recently bought headphones Onkyo A800. But the sound of this DAC with headphones is very bad! Flat sound, narrow stage, inconspicuous bass... What is the problem?! I also have Cowon X9, with this player, the sound of the headphones is much better! The DAC is connected to the computer, the OS win 10, output ASIO, drivers from Topping site

Last edited:

graz_lag

Major Contributor
... I have this DAC. Recently bought headphones Onkyo A800. But the sound of this DAC with headphones is very bad! Flat sound, narrow stage, inconspicuous bass... What is the problem?! I also have Cowon X9, with this player, the sound of the headphones is much better! The DAC is connected to the computer, the OS win 10, output ASIO, drivers from Topping site

Hmm ... I am testing this same DAC since one week as well as with my AKG K701, I am very pleased with the sound.
What type of player are you using ? Foobar2K is certainly the way to go, the ASIO output is there to assure you are with the bit-perfect transfer from the PC to the DX7s.

vaho83

Hmm ... I am testing this same DAC since one week as well as with my AKG K701, I am very pleased with the sound.
What type of player are you using ? Foobar2K is certainly the way to go, the ASIO output is there to assure you are with the bit-perfect transfer from the PC to the DX7s.
Yes, Foobar2K .
Using other players does not change anything.

gvl

Major Contributor
I have got my DX7s one week ago, listening since in parallel back & forth with my other DAC, the NAD M51 ... Well, I would buy three DX7s for the price of one NAD M51 on my next life ... Ohh ... the NAD brand on the case is surely nicer and shiner than Topping, as well as the case overall finish, but who cares ?
As headphones, I am with the AKG K701, harder to drive than the HD6xx.
I am so happy this forum let me discover this Topping brand ... ;) hoping they can keep up with the good reputation they are getting right now and growing into a larger business.
That will be of benefit to all audiophiles.

JA of Stereophile found the M51 to be "almost beyond reproach", is DX7s really that much better?

JA of Stereophile found the M51 to be "almost beyond reproach", is DX7s really that much better?

NAD M51 has 0.0004% thd at 1khz only for 0dB. If you get down the volume at -25dB, the thd rise up to a 0.015% ! Under the same conditions Asus Xonar DX had 0.001% ! I measured them with QA401 last month.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
JA of Stereophile found the M51 to be "almost beyond reproach", is DX7s really that much better

No, I cannot say the DX7s is any better than the M51, just a bit less analytical (subjective comment !)
My point was in terms of ROI : $1,500 for the M51 offers a much lower ROI compared to the $450 for the DX7s.
The question is whether it is worth the M51 resampling-converting process to PWM technology when it is clear now - based on @amirm several measurements that "low to very low jitter" values have little impact - if any at all, on the DAC output.

PS After purchasing it in 2015, I rolled it back to the firmware v1.39 as JA suggested in his review.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NAD M51 has 0.0004% thd at 1khz only for 0dB. If you get down the volume at -25dB, the thd rise up to a 0.015% ! Under the same conditions Asus Xonar DX had 0.001% ! I measured them with QA401 last month.
THD or THD+N? Your percentages translate to a little better than -100dB & almost -80dB, relative to the fundamental. Isn't that consistent with the 25dB reduction in level when noise is included?

What are the QA's limits?

Top Bottom