• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX7s DAC and Headphone Amp

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
When you take pictures with some phones and you download them they sometime turn upside down. That's why I asked, not because of the name. And I posted his cat correctly so that he can use that picture for his avatar, if he wishes.
If he needs instructions we can help. But maybe that's the way his avatar was intended?
I don't know.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Look at his name.. I'm assuming he's rippin' on him.
I don't think Bob knows the backstory.

Bob, someone on another forum has that avatar right side up. He is making a play on him by using his avatar wrong way up.

Pillars

Aah, purr1n is the owner of the other forum hence the other gents name and he has his avatar flipped. Purr1n's a rather respected guy when it comes to the subjective side of audio listenings. If you've got a pair of HD650's it's a good place to visit.

bambadoo

Got the remote the other day. Nice and compact. The reception is not that good I feel. Have to have clear sight and not to far distance to the dx7s for it to work. New battery.
Can live with that. However: what is the purpose of the M button. Have read the manual but is unable to find a function for this..

Btw: the problems I had with my MS server 2012 music server is gone with Linux on the same machine...

cheungtsw

Got the remote the other day. Nice and compact. The reception is not that good I feel. Have to have clear sight and not to far distance to the dx7s for it to work. New battery.
Can live with that. However: what is the purpose of the M button. Have read the manual but is unable to find a function for this..

Btw: the problems I had with my MS server 2012 music server is gone with Linux on the same machine...

The M button has no function per the manual.

giankam

Hi, I've just received my DX7s. I connected it using the AES in and the XLR outs. I don't understand why the calibration of the analog outs is -5db compared to the dbfs I feed into the DAC. I set it to DAC mode but compared to my other DAC units this the signal is -5dbs.
Please can anyone help me? thanks

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I've just received my DX7s. I connected it using the AES in and the XLR outs. I don't understand why the calibration of the analog outs is -5db compared to the dbfs I feed into the DAC. I set it to DAC mode but compared to my other DAC units this the signal is -5dbs.
Please can anyone help me? thanks

How are you measuring the dB level out?

The DX7s should output 4V via the XLR outputs. Perhaps you're comparing it to DACs that output a higher voltage? What are the other DACs you're comparing it to?

Or does it output 5dB less in DAC mode it does than when the volume control is enabled and you run it at full volume?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
I don't think Bob knows the backstory.

Bob, someone on another forum has that avatar right side up. He is making a play on him by using his avatar wrong way up.

Oh. Of course I just wanted to help, now I know. :cool:

giankam

I also have Prism and Mytek Dacs.
I've found out that the DX7S works at +4db while the other 2 have a High Gain output. Is there a way to set the DX7s to High Gain? Please is there Hi gain switch on the DX7s?
Thx

How are you measuring the dB level out?

The DX7s should output 4V via the XLR outputs. Perhaps you're comparing it to DACs that output a higher voltage? What are the other DACs you're comparing it to?

Or does it output 5dB less in DAC mode it does than when the volume control is enabled and you run it at full volume?

bambadoo

Anyone got the autopower off/on working? I am not one of them. If it is on - it stays on. If it is off it stays off. Does not matter what the setting is.

cheungtsw

Anyone got the autopower off/on working? I am not one of them. If it is on - it stays on. If it is off it stays off. Does not matter what the setting is.

As I know, it is not auto standby as what we used to.

My experience is:
DX7s will "power off" if the equipment connected to it (e.g., PC) is powered off.
DX7s will "power on" again if the equipment connected to it is powered on (again/next time).

For example, the DX7s turns on when I turn on my PC. When I turn off my PC, the DX7s turns off within 2min until I turn on my PC again.

Last edited:

cheungtsw

While it is good to provide freq firmware upgrade, I dont really like the idea that it requires the installation of the win drivers.

ps. I connect an Io-data soundgenic to the USB port of the DX7s.

Grave

Is the output impedance of both the single ended headphone output and the balanced headphone output 10 ohms? (hopefully not 30 ohms like the small headphone output of the A30).

I might have to buy one since it is reasonably priced on Massdrop.

Dana reed

It's 10 Ohms on the single ended and 20 on the balanced per the manual. I have not measured it myself.

Top Bottom