• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX7s DAC and Headphone Amp

derp1n

This flaw wouldn't be observed unless the unit was taken apart and heatsinks removed. Not something commonly done. I wouldn't have removed them if it hadn't been installed lopsided in the first place.

I'm thankful no damage was done, but my DX7S is relatively new and I have not been using the headamp section - just DAC only mode. I've never seen a heatsink used without TIM before Topping.

A heatsink will work without a special TIM, it's just less efficient. TIM is not always used or needed.

Both of the packages are also sinking heat into the PCB via the metal tabs on the voltage regulators and pads below the op amps. So the top heat sinks are nice, but perhaps not essential. Other devices using those parts have been manufactured without additional heatsinks attached.

The chance of damage is basically zero. You seem to be overstating a pretty minor thing based on misunderstanding.

Pillars

So the top heat sinks are nice, but perhaps not essential. Other devices using those parts have been manufactured without additional heatsinks attached. ---- You seem to be overstating a pretty minor thing based on misunderstanding.

You lost me there... I assume a manufacturer would heatsink something as it has been deemed to run hot enough to require one. To take this extra step at a manufacturing cost one would probably want to make sure the heatsink is used effectively which was not done. I know this is a low cost device so surely it is there for a reason. Lets be real here, it was mounted shifty with no TIM or pad. Chance of damage is definitely not 'basically zero'.

As far as USB goes there was popping at windows start and a light static noise upon bitrate change. After updating the firmware this has gone away for me except for a VERY faint noise upon bitrate change that I can't reliably replicate. I'm only using 48/44 but I did use windows to bump that up to 192/32 and experienced no problems.

Last edited:

derp1n

You lost me there... I assume a manufacturer would heatsink something as it has been deemed to run hot enough to require one. To take this extra step at a manufacturing cost one would probably want to make sure the heatsink is used effectively which was not done. I know this is a low cost device so surely it is there for a reason. Lets be real here, it was mounted shifty with no TIM or pad. Chance of damage is definitely not 'basically zero'.

Your problem is exactly that all your claims are simply assumptions. Blindly replacing capacitors, too. Best leave it to the experts, buddy.

Pillars

Sorry, where did I say I was replacing caps for no reason? As posted before my unit was obtained NF and I had to replace a cap to get it working. Upon trying to find a suitable replacement I came across a deal for nice caps. I am handy with an iron and am spending $20 to recap the entire thing with Nich KZ and ELNA SILMIC II. What would you do? I'm sorry, isn't what you are doing assuming? If you've nothing to contribute please - don't.

derp1n

Sorry, where did I say I was replacing caps for no reason? As posted before my unit was obtained NF and I had to replace a cap to get it working. Upon trying to find a suitable replacement I came across a deal for nice caps. I am handy with an iron and am spending $20 to recap the entire thing with Nich KZ and ELNA SILMIC II. What would you do? I'm sorry, isn't what you are doing assuming? If you've nothing to contribute please - don't.

If you are handy, the caps are all trash.

And you're judging the build quality of the device based on a single sample that your purchased second hand and in a non-functional state? Great contribution, thanks.

It's clear you don't know what you're talking about regarding the heatsink issue, so please keep a lid on it.

Pillars

Look up some spec sheets on SMD Polys. The caps I've chosen to replace them with are solid. What the heck is wrong with you dude? The heatsinks were not altered and I received info on why the cap was missing. It is clear you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. No wait.. I'm convinced Topping added heatsinks to these components for 'no reason'. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

- I really enjoy the DX7S. To the point that I'd like to squeeze anything else out of it I can for minimal investment and ensure that it is a reliable unit. That is my motive and my decision. Thanks.

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
No need to argue about experience, we can all use from everyone.

I'm sorry if I cannot find them but where are the two ESS Sabre DACs?

bambadoo

After updating the firmware, new noise will occur!

When using in USB mode, large pop noise that had never before occurred to occur after updating the firmware.
When you shut down the PC, the DX7s is set to auto power off (Sleep mode). When PC is started up again, DX7s also starts up automatically. After that, it will emit a big pop noise at the beginning of the music to be played first.
It is a troubling problem.

I guess this is also some of what I experience. Is it a windows only issue? Havent tested with mac or rpi yet.

bambadoo

Sent email to topping service regarding the issue. They are working on a fix.
Thank you for contacting TOPPING support. We are happy to assist.

You are the second user who report this problem to us. We already found this problem, it happens when changing the sampling rates and it will keep for a few seconds. Is it right?

We are already working on it, we will send out new firmware when we finish.

Best Regards!
----------------------------------
TOPPING service

So if anyone else experiences issues. It is wise to email their service departement so more people adresses the issue.

cheungtsw

Sent email to topping service regarding the issue. They are working on a fix.

So if anyone else experiences issues. It is wise to email their service departement so more people adresses the issue.

I dont have this issue.
I used in the following way:
spdif: xbox 1s
coaxial: to Win NUC via iFi iOne to convert USB to coaxial
USB: iodata soundgenic

Toku

Major Contributor
I guess this is also some of what I experience. Is it a windows only issue? Havent tested with mac or rpi yet.
I report the detailed situation to Topping about the troubles that occurred every time. Engineers at Topping will respond to the report properly.

bambadoo

Did a fresh install of linux (ubuntu) on the same machine. It is much better now. Only pops when changing to 384 khz material. Otherwise much better.

NorthSky

Major Contributor

I need a magnifying glass but.. I believe I can make out the ESS logo on there. Incredibly small.

The ESS 9038 Sabre DAC is a 64-pin DAC. It is square in shape, and relatively large.

UDP-205-internal-hr.jpg

Here in the Oppo 205 above they are both covered by a white ceramic heatsink.

derp1n

The ESS 9038 Sabre DAC is a 64-pin DAC. It is square in shape, and relatively large.

UDP-205-internal-hr.jpg

Here in the Oppo 205 above they are both covered by a white ceramic heatsink.
That's the ES9038Pro.

The ES9038Q2M is packaged as a 3x5mm 30-pin QFN.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Last edited:
Top Bottom