• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX7s DAC and Headphone Amp

Toku

Major Contributor
How to prevent USB connection error with DX7s & D50
Do not disconnect the USB cable while it is connected to the PC and the DX 7s is running.
However, there is no problem with D10.

Processing when connection between PC and DX 7s is broken. I am recovering by taking the following measures.
I am not confident that this recovery procedure is correct.

1. Shut down the PC.
2.Unplug the USB cable.
3.Turn off the power switch on the rear panel.
4.Unplug the AC cord.
5.Leave it for over 30 seconds.
6.Plug in the AC cord.
7. Turn on the rear panel power switch while pushing and holding the main knob.
8. Turn the main knob to select Factory Reset and execute it.
9.Connect USB cable to PC.
10.Turn on PC power switch.

When disconnecting / unplugging the USB cable, if you always shut down the PC, the error no longer appears

*The DX7s in box USB cable is the same product as the D10 and D50 in box USB cable.
*The USB cable I am using was purchased from Amazon.jp with 6$

Toku

Major Contributor
I am using three Topping DACs D10, D50, DX7s.
I think there are two factors in this cause of trouble occurring in D50 and DX 7s.
The first is the quality of the USB cable.
The second is to switch and connect several Topping DACs that use the same driver for one PC.
For example, if you use D10 and change the connection to DX 7s, I think that a connection error will occur.
I think that users who use only one kind of Topping's DAC will probably not issue this trouble.
This is my imagination from my experience.

Talisker

Hi,
Is it possible to use the DX7 as a pre-amplifier ? If I use a power amplifier, can I change the volume trough the DX7 (bouton or remote command) ?

derp1n

Hi,
Is it possible to use the DX7 as a pre-amplifier ? If I use a power amplifier, can I change the volume trough the DX7 (bouton or remote command) ?
Yes, that works.

However, the volume control for the line-out only works in headphone + line-out mode (and headphone only mode, of course). In pure line-out mode, there is no volume control.

Talisker

Yes, that works.

However, the volume control for the line-out only works in headphone + line-out mode (and headphone only mode, of course). In pure line-out mode, there is no volume control.
Thanks, So I need to control the volume with the source ... do you know an another DAC with volume control ? well quoted by Amir of course :)

Last edited:

derp1n

Thanks, So I need to control the volume with the source ... do you know an another DAC with volume control ? well quoted by Amir of course :)
No you can control via the DAC, it's just that it adjusts the HP and line-out volume together, so you have to turn it up/down as appropriate when you plug in headphones or switch to speakers.

yue

amirm I'm still waiting for the Frequency response under "linear phase fast roll off" or "minimum phase fast" to see if they are ruler straight between 20-20khz. the official spec of +-0.35db sounds too big compared to the 9038 chip spec.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
amirm I'm still waiting for the Frequency response under "linear phase fast roll off" or "minimum phase fast" to see if they are ruler straight between 20-20khz. the official spec of +-0.35db sounds too big compared to the 9038 chip spec.
I am leaving town for a couple of days unfortunately so remind me if I don't post it by the weekend.

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi all,
I have reported the problems that occur in DX7s. And Topping took place on July 24th update of the firmware as promised. As a result, most of the problems that occurred in DX 7s I reported were resolved.
If your DX 7s has problems with some behavior, you should update your firmware immediately.

Toku

Major Contributor
After updating the firmware, new noise will occur!

When using in USB mode, large pop noise that had never before occurred to occur after updating the firmware.
When you shut down the PC, the DX7s is set to auto power off (Sleep mode). When PC is started up again, DX7s also starts up automatically. After that, it will emit a big pop noise at the beginning of the music to be played first.
It is a troubling problem.

yue

After updating the firmware, new noise will occur!

When using in USB mode, large pop noise that had never before occurred to occur after updating the firmware.
When you shut down the PC, the DX7s is set to auto power off (Sleep mode). When PC is started up again, DX7s also starts up automatically. After that, it will emit a big pop noise at the beginning of the music to be played first.
It is a troubling problem.

you can shot them an email and ask them to look into this issue.

Last edited:

vato3001

Under Windows 7 x64 Ultimate i can just choose 32 bit 44100HZ.

Grave

I am tempted to buy one for the DAC performance, but I do not want to spend all that money on a balanced DAC/amp, which is pointless.

Last edited:

Talisker

I'm wondering what append usually when you using a DAC like this one (DX7s) and you watch a film on your computer. What's stream is send from the spdif output ? For exemple, we are wathing a Video encoding with DD5.1. The DAC is used as the sound card, question : Is the output spdif will deliver a DD5.1 signal to be send to AV amplifier or only deliver a 2.0 PCM stream, or nothing because the stream is encoded ?

Veri

Master Contributor
I'm wondering what append usually when you using a DAC like this one (DX7s) and you watch a film on your computer. What's stream is send from the spdif output ? For exemple, we are wathing a Video encoding with DD5.1. The DAC is used as the sound card, question : Is the output spdif will deliver a DD5.1 signal to be send to AV amplifier or only deliver a 2.0 PCM stream, or nothing because the stream is encoded ?
This depends entirely on the player, but you can send the DD5.1 stream through SPDIF if your player (VLC, mpc-hc etc) has the surround track selected and the audio output device properly set-up as multi-channel out.

Talisker

So you think/confirm that a DTS5.1 stream can going through a DAC from USB port to SPDIF output ... I never could be able to test this because my DAC do not have an SPDIF ouput ... I will be very interested if someone have tested this type of settings

Last edited:
Top Bottom