• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

gypsygib

@TP-Wong Hi, can you send a LDAC/V2 version of DX3 Pro for @amirm to review? The changes to the headphone amp need to be looked at, since there is a big jump in output impedance (from <1 to 10ohms), which affects its usability with low impedance headphone/IEMs

I think we should all just join patreon and pitch in a few bucks to buy one for him to review, assuming Amir would be so kind to do it.

dcolak

He is saying, that if your device or OS is outputting 16 bits, 24 bits or 32 bits, this will affect the digital volume control final volume.
Depending on people's phones, computer or other devices, one person's "-6dB" is different from another's "-6dB" on DX3.

Exactly this, you can try it. I couldn't figure out why it sounded so different by simply changing from 16bit to 24 and 32bit.

dcolak

That's interesting, dcolak, and welcome to ASR!
I was an early adopter of this unit and was not impressed with the loudness, wheras others said it blew their ears off at lower volume settings than I was using (def was on high gain) with similar cans.
What should this bitrate be set for under which conditions? Is it a max bitrate setting?

It is loudest with 16bit.

I use Mac, but it's same on PC, set up your output to bit depth 16bits to get most volume out of DX3Pro.

No idea why is it like that, probably a bug in design of DX3Pro.

I have v1 of DX3Pro.

athew21

I think that only @2ko is the other one who has the same "complaint" as me. He thinks that he's not loud enough either.

Thank you for sharing, it gives me a better perspective.

So, at the moment, I'm using it around -10 or -5dB. If I play with the equalizer a bit, like decreasing the pre-amp (by about 6-8 dB) and increasing the lower frequencies, it won't get loud enough even at -0dB.

I also find that going into high gain changes the sound signature. The smoothness that you find in the low gain is not present anymore. So, I will avoid high gain where possible.

Even my LG V30 manages similar output compared to the DX3 Pro. So, I think that I might return it and go for a standalone DAC and AMP.

I'm also facing similar issues and just wanted to chime in. Listening on my LCD-2 Classic, without EQ, I found myself at around -20 to -10dB depending on the song. (This is with +9 dB gain because I could not discern enough of a difference in the sound to make a difference and something about seeing the volume at close to 0 dB bothered me). However, once I began using EQ, thus having to lower the sound on my source, I quickly ended up with the DX3 Pro at -6 to 0 dB (again with +9 dB gain).

The 2 Classics are around 101db/mW SPL, while the HD-25's are much, much louder at 109db/mW SPL, so that explains why @Gray find the HD-25's comfortable at a much lower volume. However the HD 558's are almost 10db less sensitive at 99db/mW SPL, so I am completely baffled at how he manages to find them sounding similar at the same volume he is using for the HD-25. If it was a unit difference in that his unit is louder, this still physically wouldn't make sense, and although he stated his hearing is damaged, he seems perfectly capable of discerning between quiet and loud, so I'm still very perplexed.

Maybe someone else can chime in on this?

dcolak

The 2 Classics are around 101db/mW SPL, while the HD-25's are much, much louder at 109db/mW SPL, so that explains why @Gray find the HD-25's comfortable at a much lower volume. However the HD 558's are almost 10db less sensitive at 99db/mW SPL, so I am completely baffled at how he manages to find them sounding similar at the same volume he is using for the HD-25. If it was a unit difference in that his unit is louder, this still physically wouldn't make sense, and although he stated his hearing is damaged, he seems perfectly capable of discerning between quiet and loud, so I'm still very perplexed.

What is the sound output bit depth setting you use on your PC/MAC?

Is it 16, 24 or 32bit?

Silvera

If someone could help me get this thing in Bluetooth pair mode I'd really appreciate it. :)

Gray

I wanted to say the HD558 needed more, I already typed it, but after testing them both, one after the other, it didn't made a lot of difference. Maybe because the one is closed and the other one is open?

EarlZ

I just got my DX3 Pro LDAC with S/N 1905 and I've been trying to figure out how to switch to line out mode, pressing the line-out button on the remote only switches it to DAC mode and I still get the volume control. Double tapping the multi-function button only switches to DAC, headphone and headphone + DAC.

Any help would be appreciated.

Toku

Major Contributor
I just got my DX3 Pro LDAC with S/N 1905 and I've been trying to figure out how to switch to line out mode, pressing the line-out button on the remote only switches it to DAC mode and I still get the volume control. Double tapping the multi-function button only switches to DAC, headphone and headphone + DAC.

Any help would be appreciated.
There is no line out mode name on the DX3 Pro display.
DAC = line out mode.

However, DAC has two modes.
DAC (fixed output)
DAC (variable output)
With the new DX3 Pro LDAC model, it is no longer possible to switch from the LIne Out button on the remote control to DAC (fixed output) to prevent accidents.
Is the switching operation of DAC (variable output) <> DAC (fixed output) described in the attached manual?
The operation method was also introduced in this forum.

Display at DAC (fixed output) DAC + sampling rate
Display at DAC (variable output) DAC + volume level (db)

Last edited:

EarlZ

There is no line out mode name on the DX3 Pro display.
DAC = line out mode.

However, DAC has two modes.
DAC (fixed output)
DAC (variable output)
With the new DX3 Pro LDAC model, it is no longer possible to switch from the LIne Out button on the remote control to DAC (fixed output) to prevent accidents.
Is the switching operation of DAC (variable output) <> DAC (fixed output) described in the attached manual?
The operation method was also introduced in this forum.

Display at DAC (fixed output) DAC + sampling rate
Display at DAC (variable output) DAC + volume level (db)

I believe the manual I have is still for the non LDAC version as it only states to press the line out button to cycle between DAC or Line-out.

How do I switch to DAC fixed output ?

EDIT:
NVM found an online copy of the V2 manual.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor

heyagod

I believe the manual I have is still for the non LDAC version as it only states to press the line out button to cycle between DAC or Line-out.

How do I switch to DAC fixed output ?

EDIT:
NVM found an online copy of the V2 manual.
Hello where did you find the online copy, could you please provide us a link? Thanks!

ricmuz_

Just bought a (presumed) V1 from Amazon Italy. They told me I can return it to them within a year if it breaks, so that gives me a little peace of mind.

Any suggestions on how I can stress-test it once it arrives?

DouglasteR

Just bought a (presumed) V1 from Amazon Italy. They told me I can return it to them within a year if it breaks, so that gives me a little peace of mind.

Any suggestions on how I can stress-test it once it arrives?

Just use it normally.

Mine just reach 2 whole months without a problem.

I always turn it off after use (and it power on automatically when i turn my PC on).

Tks

Major Contributor
Just use it normally.

Mine just reach 2 whole months without a problem.

I always turn it off after use (and it power on automatically when i turn my PC on).

I’ve had mine for half a year now, mine also shuts off on its own when there is no source connection detected (like a sleeping computer or one that’s off).

Love this little thing. Still wondering what’s taking companies so long to start making Bluetooth input a standard feature.

Toku

Major Contributor
I connected DX3Pro via USB after some effort, and have some questions:

2a) Using ASIO (DX3 Pro driver) in Musicbee doesn't seem to work to give it exclusive control (if I play something on Firefox it will mix the 2 sound sources), why is that so and how do I fix it?
On a sidenote, does DX3 Pro do the mixing now, or does Windows?
WASAPI and ASIO
WASAPI (Windows Audio Session API) and ASIO (Audio Stream Input Output) are both audio interfaces, and using WASAPI exclusive mode or ASIO skips the processing normally performed by Windows and allows applications to directly read and write files. As a result, output in a state closer to the original sound becomes possible.
The reason why an error sound is heard while playing music on a PC or another application makes a sound is because the error sound and other sounds are mixed with the music being played on the Windows side. By avoiding this mixing, it is possible to reproduce with higher sound quality than usual.

MusicBee has “WASAPI sharing mode” as the default setting, so it can be changed depending on the playback environment of the music card being used.

To use WASAPI exclusive mode or ASIO, select from the “Output” drop-down list in “Settings” → “Player”.
WASAPI (Exclusive) is an exclusive mode, and the default (Share) is a mode in which mixing is performed on Windows.

Top Bottom