• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

kprog

with DX3 Pro will I have enough power to move my dt990 pro 250ohm to the maximum?
I would like to get the most out of them.

Now I have Monoprice Desktop Headphone Amplifier and it does not have enough power.

According to the specifications ..
The dt990pro 250 .. hold a maximum power of 100mv

The Monoprice Desktop Headphone Amplifier. supposedly it has ≥ 150mW (300Ω loaded) ... (but it is not able to move to the maximum my dt990)

DX3 pro, according to specifications ... is less powerful than monoprice .. 125mW (300Ω loaded)

Something is wrong ... the monoprice specifications are false?

freaksamael

with DX3 Pro will I have enough power to move my dt990 pro 250ohm to the maximum?

Now I have Monoprice Desktop Headphone Amplifier and it does not have enough power.

The Monoprice Desktop Headphone Amplifier. supposedly it has ≥ 150mW (300Ω loaded) ... (but it is not able to move to the maximum my dt990)

DX3 pro, according to specifications ... is less powerful than monoprice .. 125mW (300Ω loaded)

That‘s why I have bought an JDS Atom Amp (not yet delivered)....intend to use DX3 Pro in pure DAC, with a Schiit Loki to the Atom. For a Beyer DT990 Pro 250 ohms.

Last edited:

gypsygib

It drives my DT1990 very well on low gain. 99% of the time I'm under -10dB. For games, netflix and youtube I'm at -15 to -20db. For music, depending on the app, I'm normally -10, some songs get me to -6.5 (all the low gain). Be aware though that even on high gain it won't get loud enough to blow your headphones like other amps, but I've never encountered a situation where volume couldn't get loud enough to be painful to listen to.

If you want an amp with tonnes of power to spare and ear flapping/driver bustin juice, I'd suggest getting something else like the atom and a cheap but transparent dac.

kprog

that's why I was thinking about. monoprice liquid spark + topping D10.
but on the other hand, I wanted to know if DX3 was powerful enough to get the most ...
Actually in papers, it seems sufficiently powerful, but in reality I do not know.

I am also attracted to monoprice quality, as I read it has a higher sound quality?

Sorry for the rookie question, but what's the benefit of two chips in a non-balanced dac?

If the outputs of the each AK4493 are in parallel mode, than the chip output impedance is smaller and that is better.

Varenyk

After having the unit for nearly two months it started shutting down on it's own.

I am feeding it optical and today during Overwatch game play it would just turn off completely for no reason about one hour into the game session.

The unit doesn't feel hot so I don't think it's overheating.

simonchretien

It's running my DT880 250 at -15 db, whats all this about power? Wanna use the headphones as speakers? :)

gypsygib

After having the unit for nearly two months it started shutting down on it's own.

I am feeding it optical and today during Overwatch game play it would just turn off completely for no reason about one hour into the game session.

Sorry to hear that...approx how many hours of use? Have you tried a different power adapter?

Bliman

With so many people complaining about build quality. Wouldn't it be wise to lower the recommendation? It feels like there are so many broken units. And it is not like they would sell so much that it would be a minor percentage.

chrisliuboy

Yep, I had once with the auto-off while youtube, after that I connected the DAC directly to the USB 3.1 port on the MB instead of using the 3.0 extension hub and replaced the PS adapter at the same time. I don't want to Mojo myself, but so far, I didn't get the auto-off again.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
With so many people complaining about build quality. Wouldn't it be wise to lower the recommendation? It feels like there are so many broken units. And it is not like they would sell so much that it would be a minor percentage.

I'm mid dispute with Ali Express on mine. Distortion through the headphone jack. The seller Specialized Speaker Store hasn't even had the decency to offer replacement if I send back the unit, Ali Express "intervention" has yet to result in an offer. Not impressed with any of this.

Bliman

I said it because many people will just read the review (like I did first) and also see the great measurements and encounter these problems. There are way to much problems with it, if you look in this thread alone already.

Toku

Major Contributor
Hello everyone

I use two DX3 Pro connected to individual PC.
I experienced suddenly the sleep mode symptoms several times.
But I discovered that it always occurs on certain PCs.
So I think there is some cause for USB setting of PC.
Anyway, if you find a problem, you should attach detailed information and report it to Topping.
Topping listens to our complaint very gentlemanly.

The following is a question from me to everyone.
I installed and used the AUDIRVANA PLUS FOR WINDOWS 10 which is reputed for sound to PC which connects to DX3 Pro.
However, when switching between PCM and DSD, big pop noise came out from the speaker.
I think the cause is in AUDIRVANA, but are the same symptoms for everyone else?
Such a symptom does not appear in combination with TuneBrowser & Foober2000.
The driver is connected with ASIO (Native mode) at V4.47.0.
(I'm sorry, my English skill is poor, the sentences may be wrong)

Stein

Hello everyone

I use two DX3 Pro connected to individual PC.
I experienced suddenly the sleep mode symptoms several times.
But I discovered that it always occurs on certain PCs.
So I think there is some cause for USB setting of PC.
Anyway, if you find a problem, you should attach detailed information and report it to Topping.
Topping listens to our complaint very gentlemanly.

The following is a question from me to everyone.
I installed and used the AUDIRVANA PLUS FOR WINDOWS 10 which is reputed for sound to PC which connects to DX3 Pro.
However, when switching between PCM and DSD, big pop noise came out from the speaker.
I think the cause is in AUDIRVANA, but are the same symptoms for everyone else?
Such a symptom does not appear in combination with TuneBrowser & Foober2000.
The driver is connected with ASIO (Native mode) at V4.47.0.
(I'm sorry, my English skill is poor, the sentences may be wrong)

Those were my initial thoughts as well. I've tested my malfuctioned Topping unit on two computers: My pc and laptop.
Both were running the latest version of windows and had shown no improvement.

Klenfo

My device went into standby mode (or sleep mode, a dot on display) several times in win10 via USB. Right during playback in browser and in foobar2000. I think it's a DAC issue not PC

Top Bottom