• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
IIUC, filters F1 and F3 should have flat amplitude and phase response up to 20KHz (with differing responses above 20K ofc). The rest of the filters (except for the “dispertion” filter perhaps??) do things to the signal that may be audible.

Amplitude looks more or less same but phase doesn't in a simple loop back test, now below example is not AKM brand but a ESS example and will guess scheme will be the same for AKM if measured. When using pure minimum phase filter that is so steep it looks phase distortion creep in compared to nature of a minimum phase domain showed overlaid in grey color trace.

1000.png

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Amplitude looks more or less same but phase doesn't in a simple loop back test, now below example is not AKM brand but a ESS example and will guess scheme will be the same for AKM if measured. When using pure minimum phase filter that is so steep it looks phase distortion creep in compared to nature of a minimum phase domain showed overlaid in grey color trace.

View attachment 19574

Interesting. Which ESS chip and filters are these?

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Agree its interesting stuff, chips are some relative cheap 9023 and 9018 USB DACs where i can't adjust their filters, benched IR is the point that makes me categorize them as belonging to F-1 / F-3 family of filters.

Exosum

Hello, first time poster here, sorry if this is dumb question but I would rather ask than have something configured wrong.

Does output mode Headphone amp means DAC + amp combo or is it only AMP?

2018-12-29 08_37_43-未命名 -1.png

I use USB cable from my PC to DX3 Pro and then 3.5 output at the front to my headphones, I don't have extra AMP only and would like to make sure that this is the right setup, if my understanding is correct I should have output mode set as "Headphone amp" which means DAC + AMP combo. I don't need RCA output because I don't have any additional AMP.

There is no Power-off button? I just simply unplug adapter from power socket or put it in standby first and then unplug it? I want to prevent any damage because of my poor handling.

Thank you for any answers.

Last edited:
Hello, first time poster here, sorry if this is dumb question but I would rather ask than have something configured wrong.

Does output mode Headphone amp means DAC + amp combo or is it only AMP?

View attachment 19579

I use USB cable from my PC to DX3 Pro and then 3.5 output at the front to my headphones, I don't have extra AMP only and would like to make sure that this is the right setup, if my understanding is correct I should have output mode set as "Headphone amp" which means DAC + AMP combo.

Thank you for any answers.
it's dac+amp, you can't bypass dac so all outputs are including dac

Veri

Master Contributor
i found this measurements, this might be interesting for science ;)

That's REALLY odd. The tweet claims the super-slow-roll-off is an actual NOS filter? Would seem impossible to me, might just be the device he is testing. :/ Odd!

pauze

Usb audio player pro doesn't play nice on android when switching sample rates, that's a software problem though I'll reach out to them to fix it and get the device supported hopefully

What issue are you having? I've been running UAPP on it with no issues no matter what sample rate file I've thrown at it.

Veri

Master Contributor
Have any forum members in the UK purchased a dx3? Where did you buy from?
Audiophonics, to get Eu warranty. When I purchased it was the last in stock though, right now it's another long wait.

ishmeister

Audiophonics, to get Eu warranty. When I purchased it was the last in stock though, right now it's another long wait.
Thanks Veri. I wasn't planning to buy until February but if it's a long wait maybe I'll put my order in sooner.

jimid111

Thanks Veri. I wasn't planning to buy until February but if it's a long wait maybe I'll put my order in sooner.

Hi Ishmeister, I am planning on selling a Dx3 Pro in the UK soon if you're interested, condition is excellent, bought recently, plan to upgrade for a different DSD sound

W2S

Hi

Amazon UK have the Topping DX3 Pro listed for £169.99 with Free delivery

Hope that helps

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi

Amazon UK have the Topping DX3 Pro listed for £169.99 with Free delivery

Hope that helps

Hey, unfortunately it says "Dispatched from China", so basically it's the same as ordering from aliexpress.

bleachershane

Hey, unfortunately it says "Dispatched from China", so basically it's the same as ordering from aliexpress.
That's how I ordered, took around a month from Shenzen Audio and was charged £18 customs charges by DHL.

SiW

Have any forum members in the UK purchased a dx3? Where did you buy from?

I used Aoshida on Aliexpress due 11/11 sales.

Audiofonics are good but postage is expensive and if using PayPal the currency rate is poor.

Veri

Master Contributor
I used Aoshida on Aliexpress due 11/11 sales.

Audiofonics are good but postage is expensive and if using PayPal the currency rate is poor.

Never use PayPal currency exchanger, when paying with card you can turn it off and use your bank's (credit card) rate which is much better.

SiW

Never use PayPal currency exchanger, when paying with card you can turn it off and use your bank's (credit card) rate which is much better.

I have an Amex and they charge an admin fee as well - got stung badly once :(

Atleast with PayPal I knew the final price before buying.

I should get a Clarity card or similar.

Top Bottom