• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

bleachershane

It doesn't help with these devices that let you change the FR filter with basically exact same response up to 20/22Khz give or take :) people will look for the difference lol
I think half of the difference I heard switching between F-6 and F-1 was probably psychological... and perhaps because my headphone jack may not have been plugged all the way in (it's a tough beast that headphone jack!)

Anyway, new features tried out today, optical in (Sony KD-49XE9005 TV to input, works perfectly with minimal delay between TV and DAC output).
Just paired my phone up with Bluetooth, achieving aptX HD playing back 192kbps AAC files, so far only tried 44.1kHz files. Switching between USB and Bluetooth (USB playing the same track synced up at lossless 44.1kHz) shows very little audible difference and the Bluetooth input with AAC files is certainly passable, volume is matched almost perfectly. Didn't think I'd make use of the Bluetooth feature but it may come in handy for listening if I'm away from my PC and want to control tracks with my phone.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IIUC, filters F1 and F3 should have flat amplitude and phase response up to 20KHz (with differing responses above 20K ofc). The rest of the filters (except for the “dispertion” filter perhaps??) do things to the signal that may be audible.

Wolven

F1 doesn’t elevate the treble. What you’re hearing is something else ;)

This probably should have been a response to Veri comment not yours.

I'm not looking to find differences. I'm not an audiophile, who thinks his hearing and/or training gives him an edge in distinguishing tiny differences in sound.

When switching between filters, I can tell the difference each time it goes to F1. It doesn't matter what material is playing, the stage becomes different. I'm not saying if I was to enter the room, I would tell you, Ohh this is filter F1, no way. It is that the moment filter switches to F1 there is a difference.

Now, you can think it is just imaginary, but I hear it.

I can also tell difference between my old dac and dx3pro, and a 20 year old CD player. Is that imaginary too?

It's like 30 years ago, we could tell the difference everytime a tape would switch to dbx, if you know what it is. ... And that's the type of effect F1 reminds me.

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This probably should have been a response to Veri comment not yours.

I'm not looking to find differences. I'm not an audiophile, who thinks his hearing and/or training gives him an edge in distinguishing tiny differences in sound.

When switching between filters, I can tell the difference each time it goes to F1. It doesn't matter what material is playing, the stage becomes different. I'm not saying if I was to enter the room, I would tell you, Ohh this is filter F1, no way. It is that the moment filter switches to F1 there is a difference.

Now, you can think it is just imaginary, but I hear it.

I can also tell difference between my old dac and dx3pro, and a 20 year old CD player. Is that imaginary too?

It's like 30 years ago, we could tell the difference everytime a tape would switch to dbx, if you know what it is. ... And that's the type of effect F1 reminds me.

Really. I wasn’t trying to argue that you couldn’t hear a difference. Just letting you know that that particular filter doesn’t effect the amplitude response in that way.

Wolven

Really. I wasn’t trying to argue that you couldn’t hear a difference. Just letting you know that that particular filter doesn’t effect the amplitude response in that way.

Sorry, about that. After I wrote this I noticed your next post, and figured that was the case. That's why I added, that this probably should be addressed to Veri.

bennetng

Major Contributor
index.php

Could @amirm measure the filters to see if the labeling are correct? Thanks.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Could @amirm measure the filters to see if the labeling are correct? Thanks.
Do I have to??? :) I have so much to test and DX3Pro is my music listening DAC so I hate to put it to test right now....

nirschl

Mine finally arrived yesterday. So far, I’m pleased with it. Does have the clicking sound folks have mentioned. I have not done the firmware upadate yet. Not even sure if I can with a Mac?

A questions for those more adavanced. I get sound using the BT feature from my iPhone and iPad no problem. Also, playing files off my hard drive via USB to my Mac and using Line Out from the Headphone jack to my active monitors. However, I can’t get any sound when trying to play NFL Gamepass or Netflix? Went to System Preferences, Sound and selected DX3 Pro...etc Still only sound when I play music files off the hard drive. Nothing else. I’m using Chrome for my browser. Couldn’t get it to work in Safari either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I tried running it with my HD600 cans and preferred high gain to power them. Still filling around though. Going to take me a bit to get used to it as this is my first desktop DAC.

Last edited:

Rollingsound514

Forum Donor
Ok I just got mine setup, sounds great, which setting from F1 to F5 is most hifi? the most transparent. Also is there a way to see the sample rate on the screen by default in headphone mode I can't seem to get it to show. Thanks!!

BTW I can see what Amir meant by enjoying the form factor, it's just such a nice clean little thing and does great so far, firmware is up to date time to start really digging in!

Last edited:

nirschl

Ok I just got mine setup, sounds great, which setting from F1 to F5 is most hifi? the most transparent. Also is there a way to see the sample rate on the screen by default in headphone mode I can't seem to get it to show. Thanks!!

BTW I can see what Amir meant by enjoying the form factor, it's just such a nice clean little thing and does great so far, firmware is up to date time to start really digging in!

Using the remote you can switch between F1-F6. The main unit only allows you to switch between F1-5 for some reason. Some here have preferred F6 while others prefer F1. Your taste may very. Look a page or two back for a chart with a description of each.

Can’t answer your other question and I’d like to know as well!

la2ygoo

Forum Donor
jitter test,when the signal is down to -60dbfs,the noise will be smaller or not?

index.php

Rollingsound514

Forum Donor
Ok replaced a Modi 2 Uber with this thing. I circumvented the pre amp on my NAD integrated and replaced it with this direct to the power amp side of the NAD. HOLY CRAP. cranked up you'd hear all kinds of noise with the music off when I was running the Schiit this thing it's almost completely black at 0db it's scary good for the money wow. This thing destroys the Modi I had and has single handedly breathed new life into my 10 year old NAD. (the C320bee Nad is known for having a ****** pre)

Merkurio

Recieved mine today, absolutely astonished by the sound quality with that ultra low distorsion and crystal clear presentation, very noticeable coming from a Magni 3 feeded with my PC motherboard's line output!

How can I check the firmware version?

Also, is it normal that this appears in the device manager on Windows 10?

Attachments

• Captura.PNG
    Captura.PNG
    182.1 KB · Views: 260
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
jitter test,when the signal is down to -60dbfs,the noise will be smaller or not?
Yes, it scales with the signal (and frequency).

Rollingsound514

Forum Donor
Usb audio player pro doesn't play nice on android when switching sample rates, that's a software problem though I'll reach out to them to fix it and get the device supported hopefully

ngs428

Recieved mine today, absolutely astonished by the sound quality with that ultra low distorsion and crystal clear presentation, very noticeable coming from a Magni 3 feeded with my PC motherboard's line output!

How can I check the firmware version?

Also, is it normal that this appears in the device manager on Windows 10?

You have to install the Topping driver to see the firmware. Once you open the Topping program running in the bottom right, you willl see the version.

Merkurio

You have to install the Topping driver to see the firmware. Once you open the Topping program running in the bottom right, you willl see the version.

Thanks, seems that already comes with the 1.04 firmware.

Top Bottom