• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

Veri

Master Contributor
What's even more awesome is that they actually link to @amirm's review ...
Even more awesome :D !

Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 10.56.45.png

Yuno

The DAC DX3 Topping is fully compatible with remote control DX7s (not supplied). You will find this remote by following this link.

DX3 is one of the few devices to combine function of DAC, Preamplifier, headphone amplifier and remote control.

Strangely enough, it seems that audiophonics doesn't include remote control by default. It's additional 20 EUR to add. I hope this is a mistake because at this point it might be better to order from china . Well, it is better to begin with due to possibility of no tax, but I would much rather have EU warranty than not. Unless Aoshida listing is wrong and they will in fact end up sending dx3 without remotes. Now that I think about it, similar thing happened with dx7 in the past.

GAP

Strangely enough, it seems that audiophonics doesn't include remote control by default. It's additional 20 EUR to add. I hope this is a mistake because at this point it might be better to order from china . Well, it is better to begin with due to possibility of no tax, but I would much rather have EU warranty than not. Unless Aoshida listing is wrong and they will in fact end up sending dx3 without remotes. Now that I think about it, similar thing happened with dx7 in the past.

Hm, yes I didn't take a chance and ordered a remote. Well, perhaps it will prove wise to have a second remote as it's very small and I might loose one.

bakker_be

I think you misread. The 20€ remote is the aluminium one for DX7S and if I'm not mistaken the DX3 comes with a plastic one ...

lucadoc

I already had their answer (Topping not audiophonics) : DX3 Pro comes with a plastic one but I had bought the metal one for the Dx7s, and it is compatible

ErikR

Been lurking for awhile and finally made an account. What's being done on this website is a thing of beauty. I was a mere day away from ordering a Nuforce STA-200 until Amir saved me. While this may belong in the deals thread, I figured it may belong here as well. I've never ordered anything from AliExpress before, someone already posted a link to the Aoshida store, but no one has mentioned the anniversary sale on 11.11. You should be able to snag the DX3Pro (AliExpress Aoshida) for $184.79 on 11.11. Notice the picture on the product page. Side note, this also seems to be the case with the D50 ($209.99) and D10 ($75.59). I'm putting together a bookshelf system most likely with Philharmonic Audio's AAPM (or Adam T5V), the DX3Pro, and still waiting for an inexpensive power amp with Amir's approval!

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Been lurking for awhile and finally made an account. What's being done on this website is a thing of beauty. I was a mere day away from ordering a Nuforce STA-200 until Amir saved me. While this may belong in the deals thread, I figured it may belong here as well. I've never ordered anything from AliExpress before, someone already posted a link to the Aoshida store, but no one has mentioned the anniversary sale on 11.11. You should be able to snag the DX3Pro (AliExpress Aoshida) for $184.79 on 11.11. Notice the picture on the product page. Side note, this also seems to be the case with the D50 ($209.99) and D10 ($75.59). I'm putting together a bookshelf system most likely with Philharmonic Audio's AAPM (or Adam T5V), the DX3Pro, and still waiting for an inexpensive power amp with Amir's approval!
Thanks for signing up, a first contribution that saves members money will buy you many friends here :)

Veri

Master Contributor
It is pretty mind boggling actually that the D50 is more expensive than the DX3pro (2x newest AKM chip, bluetooth AND head-amp!). Plus if it doesn't provide enough power for headphones like T50RP and its mods for example, one can simply output the headphone out (cleaner output than the line-out as noted by @amirm) and feed it to another amp :)

Bliman

Hi all,
I have found these forum a couple of weeks ago.
And there seems to be much knowledge here.
Now I don't know much about headphone amplifiers and such.
Soon I will have a Beyerdynamic DT-250 250 Ohm. I have calculated at digiZoid what amplifier I would need.
This came up

Fairly Loud 110 dB SPL1.45 Vrms5.4 mA7.83 mWVery Loud 115 dB SPL2.59 Vrms9.64 mA24.97 mW
Does the Topping DX3 amplifier give this power (Volt or Watt I don't know, I have read that the Beyerdynamic likes Volt)?

I also found this in another place but I don't know what it means

"
In a quiet environment for the Beyerdynamic DT 250 250 ohm , an amplifier with a voltage level of at least -2.74 dBV at 269 Ohms is recommended for listening to music with a level of 90 dB SPL (without noise isolation). An amplifier with a level above 35.26 dBV is not desirable if the volume control is digital, not analog.

For noisy environments, an amplifier with a voltage level of at least 9.26 dBV at a load of 268.67 ohms is desirable.

If you want to listen to music at a different volume level, you just need to add or subtract a change in dB to 90 dB SPL (for example, for a desired level of 105 dB SPL, add 15 dB and the minimum voltage level for the amplifier is -2.74 dBV + 15 dB = 12.26 dBV).

Analysis of the impedance of Beyerdynamic DT 250 250 ohm headphones

The average resistance at the headphones Beyerdynamic DT 250 250 ohm is 268.67 Ohm.

The resistance affects the amount of current that the amplifier should give to the headphones. If the current is not enough, the sound quality will deteriorate, beginning with harsh in the sound and ending with a banal rattling. In most cases, at low current values, the amplifiers operate in comparable quality to class A, and as the current level rises, the quality decreases toward AB, B, and the clipping zone.

Imagine that you have a water tank, which gradually becomes filled with water. The voltage at the amplifier, this pressure, with which the pump pumped water from the reservoir. If the inflow of water in the tank is lower than the volume that the pump pumps out, then at the pump outlet we collect water and "bubbles". Similarly, with the sound from the headphones, which lacked current from the amplifier.

For a quiet environment, an amplifier with an output current level of at least 2.71 mA in a given class of quality is desirable (preferably orientated to comparable class A) and 10.80 mA for loud.
"
Does this amplifier put out the right amount of power?
Sorry If these are stupid questions.
A very nice forum by the way.

derp1n

Yes, plenty. The DX3 Pro will easily drive your DT-250s to "loud" even on low gain. Set to high gain it'll go even louder.

Bliman

Yes, plenty. The DX3 Pro will easily drive your DT-250s to "loud" even on low gain. Set to high gain it'll go even louder.
Thank you very much. I don't know about the technicalities but I love music.
So you can set it to high gain to? (and does this have penalties like lesser quality)?

derp1n

Thank you very much. I don't know about the technicalities but I love music.
So you can set it to high gain to? (and does this have penalties like lesser quality)?
The noise floor is higher in high gain mode, but it's still low on this device, so there's no audible quality loss.

Toku

Major Contributor
Sales of Topping DX3 Pro began at Aoshida-HIFI Audio Store of AliExpress.
I clicked without hesitating to the price of US $ 198.79.
I will order the remote control for DX 7s next time.

ILovePhonon

Found this picture on Aoshida store page. Why are there three AKM branded chips on the PCB?

Attachments

• 1D230172-453E-4B1D-9B30-409FFC9B1FA0.jpeg
    1D230172-453E-4B1D-9B30-409FFC9B1FA0.jpeg
    438 KB · Views: 666
Top Bottom