• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi guys,

I'm new to this and i would like to know if this Topping DX3 Pro would be a good combination to my Beyerdynamic T1 gen 1.
I've heard people say it is best to go with a Schiit Magni 3 + Modi 3 or even a DAC X6 instead. But i would like to know your opinions as well, is the Topping DX3 Pro worth it for a Beyerdynamic T1 gen 1?
On high gain DX3 Pro is still more clean than Magni 3.

Go DX3 Pro, or any other good DAC with JDS Atom. Either is great.

noel_fs

LUL right back at you, "Get flacs" is just ridiculous advice when 320kbps streaming services exist. I'm all for archiving CDs in FLAC for obvious reasons but you are deluding yourself if you hear a significant difference. Perhaps with music you are incredibly familiar with, but for general listening high bitrate streaming is fine.....

You have 14 posts, how about trying to prove your anecdotal advice rather than behaving like a child.
Of course for exploring music I use spotify but not for actual listening.

If you are deaf it is not my fault.

Veri

Master Contributor
Of course for exploring music I use spotify but not for actual listening.

If you are deaf it is not my fault.
If you are loony believing in fairies have it your way, lossy codecs have been tested in many public trials with no detriment to the sound, given high enough bitrate. There's no need for insults, my being deaf has nothing to do with your argument thank you very much :)

Tell me, have you ever used foobar's magical ABX testing tool? It lets you compare 320kbps and flac both converted to wave. Should be easy for you, right?

Toku

Major Contributor
How much did they take to ship it?
I ordered two DX3 Pro to Aoshida.
The first one was $198.79 on November 10 and the second was ordered at $175.78 on 11 November.
The first one was delivered by S.F Express in nine days. However, the second was shipped with the same S.F Express, but no tracking number was registered after three weeks.
I contacted Aoshida several times that baggage could not be tracked, but it was always a word of "Please wait a little more".
Then on December 10 Aoshida informed me of a new tracking number. And on December 20th DX3 Pro arrived

Rollingsound514

Forum Donor
I'd like to hear what other users have experienced with HD6XX using this unit. Amir is good enough for me as a reference lol but just wanted some more opinions. Thanks

Stein

I'd like to hear what other users have experienced with HD6XX using this unit. Amir is good enough for me as a reference lol but just wanted some more opinions. Thanks

Mine is on warranty claim now, but I can tell you that the DX3 Pro sounded excellent with the HD6XX. When volume matched and compared to the microphone preamp that I was running the HD6XX out of, the synths of orchestras seemed to have more detail on the DX3 Pro.

nirschl

I ordered two DX3 Pro to Aoshida.
The first one was $198.79 on November 10 and the second was ordered at $175.78 on 11 November.
The first one was delivered by S.F Express in nine days. However, the second was shipped with the same S.F Express, but no tracking number was registered after three weeks.
I contacted Aoshida several times that baggage could not be tracked, but it was always a word of "Please wait a little more".
Then on December 10 Aoshida informed me of a new tracking number. And on December 20th DX3 Pro arrived

Ordered one from Amazon Japan towards end of last month. Tracking said China Post and due to arrive 12/7-14...still not here. Amazon says “Paxkage May be lost.” Have contacted them via Amazon and they offered to FedEx another. We’ll see... Very disappointing

Toku

Major Contributor
Ordered one from Amazon Japan towards end of last month. Tracking said China Post and due to arrive 12/7-14...still not here. Amazon says “Paxkage May be lost.” Have contacted them via Amazon and they offered to FedEx another. We’ll see... Very disappointing
I have bought a lot of Chinese products from AliExpress so far. It is the first time I have encountered such a problem.
I do not know whether Aoshida has a cause or whether S.F Express has a cause.

noel_fs

If you are loony believing in fairies have it your way, lossy codecs have been tested in many public trials with no detriment to the sound, given high enough bitrate. There's no need for insults, my being deaf has nothing to do with your argument thank you very much :)

Tell me, have you ever used foobar's magical ABX testing tool? It lets you compare 320kbps and flac both converted to wave. Should be easy for you, right?
You should check your hypocrisy.

And yes, i have tried already many AB tests of different sample rates too.
Between 16/44.1 and 96/24 i can tell the difference aswell but its not that worth for the file size.

Anyway, lossy vs lossless 44/16 is a huge difference, if you personally have enough with spotify thats fine, but dont tell others that they cant tell the difference, it sounds the same or whatever you want them to believe to feel better yourself.

noel_fs

My DX3 has been shipped just today, seems like they already got some stock. Aoshida store.

THW

Forum Donor
You should check your hypocrisy.

And yes, i have tried already many AB tests of different sample rates too.
Between 16/44.1 and 96/24 i can tell the difference aswell but its not that worth for the file size.

Anyway, lossy vs lossless 44/16 is a huge difference, if you personally have enough with spotify thats fine, but dont tell others that they cant tell the difference, it sounds the same or whatever you want them to believe to feel better yourself.

The difference between lossy and lossless also depends on the lossy format in question though doesn’t it?

For example the algorithm for MP3 isn’t as good as AAC from what I remember, I don’t know the specifics of it though

noel_fs

The difference between lossy and lossless also depends on the lossy format in question though doesn’t it?

For example the algorithm for MP3 isn’t as good as AAC from what I remember, I don’t know the specifics of it though
There is only 3 main used. MP3 (MPEG), OGG (open source xiph, spotify) and m4a/aac (mpg, apple), they all have their pros and cons iirc, ogg is better than mp3 but about the same on "higher" bitrates, dont really know about aac, but probably similar case.
They are really nice to have instant loads on youtube and casual spotify listening. But if you want to listen to music you are missing alot.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
There is only 3 main used. MP3 (MPEG), OGG (open source xiph, spotify) and m4a/aac (mpg, apple), they all have their pros and cons iirc, ogg is better than mp3 but about the same on "higher" bitrates, dont really know about aac, but probably similar case.
They are really nice to have instant loads on youtube and casual spotify listening. But if you want to listen to music you are missing alot.
DVD audio for movies and shows is also AAC 448 kbps.

shocker

Are the clicks people talk about come with the change between modes and sample rates and heard from the unit?

I got a problem that happens randomly when i browse in the track's timeline which - the music gets stuck and repeats playing the same millisecond for about 10 to 40 seconds until Foobar crashes "timeout" (sounds like a sawchain running). it did not happen with my other sound cards. anyone know why does that happen?

Thank you

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
[

Apparently, I listen pretty loud as well, but the DX3PRO drives it loud enough for me on my HD6xx. My chain is iphone (spotify HQ) > camera connection > usb in on dx3. I use high gain and frequently listen to volume in single digits (ie -6.0db as 0db is highest), it sounds great, no distortion, but it's pretty loud at this point. Others like Veri have said that low gain is enough for them, not sure if this is because source (PC vs iphone) is different or just differences in our hearing, but low gain just doesn't cut it for me.

I am also using Sonarworks for EQ, and I think it really improves the sound of the Sennheisers. I turn off the age eq as it adds treble boost I don't prefer, but it definitely adds some much needed bass. Their apps are free for the next couple of months as they are technically in beta, highly recommended.

shocker

It's loud more than enough for the very most of the music tracks with the HD600. for some it would not be, even with high gain like songs that been mastered/exported quietly to begin with (or however you want to call it).

Top Bottom