• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

Noob2313

I could not disagree more. Removing (or shrinking) vital information such as volume level on a device that has no other indicator of that might end up in hearing damage at worst, unpleasant surprise at best.

Don't worry. No one has put me in charge -- yet. :)

I do agree that an "always on" volume indicator should be part of the DX3 Pro's display, since it uses "fly-by-wire" digital volume control rather than a conventional analog potentiometer. When you're starting it up, you need to know where the volume is set. But after that, I'm just nudging it up or down by a click or two and I don't need a giant number to tell me where it's at. I'd rather use some of that screen real estate to display other information.

I have no idea why do you care though. Does knowing your sampling rate makes music sound better?
If you use wasapi it will be always the same as music you are playing.

Music?? I thought we're all gearheads here... LOL

I've been out of the audio game for almost 20 years. Now that high-res digital sources are widely available, I want to know if I can hear the difference between those formats.

In the modern world of streaming music, there's a non-trivial "digital signal chain" that sits in front of my music player. I want to know about the signal that's ACTUALLY arriving at the inputs to my DAC. I know for a fact that it's not always what the web page / streaming service says it is (if it even says). That's all. I'm just looking for an easy way to confirm that the entire download and driver chain is doing what I expect.

Last edited:

DouglasteR

One quick (dumb) question:

- Can i use the R/L RCA outs to drive my bookshelfs ? (they are not active, removed from my receiver and 6-8 ohms).

Thanks !

mgmate

- Can i use the R/L RCA outs to drive my bookshelfs ? (they are not active, removed from my receiver and 6-8 ohms).

Thanks !

You don't want to do that. This is a Headphone amplifier, not a proper amplifier. More over RCA outputs, that should be used for a high impedance.

Look for an bookself amplifier and you should connect it to the RCA outs. That's the proper way. There are a lot of small but powerful digital amplifiers (I'm not an expert but for sure someone in the forum will propose you several options)

g_t_j

Hello everybody.

Has anyone been using their DX3 with powered speakers?
What's the recommended volume setup and adjustements?
Ideally I'd want to use headphone + preamp mode and use the knob to adjust the output to my powered speakers. But what about the speakers? Do I have to set them at a high/higher volume or around 50% to beat background hiss?

Another question. I noticed the DX3 shows as an available bluetooth device even when it's on USB DAC mode. Is this normal? Should't have the bluetooth chip become completely deactivated when the DX3 operated in a no-bluetooth source mode?

I've been using it 5 days now for many hours a day and so far it's been rock solid for me (knock on wood)
Bought it from Shenzhen Audio and has a 19XXXXXXXX S/N

Hello everybody.

Has anyone been using their DX3 with powered speakers?
What's the recommended volume setup and adjustements?
Ideally I'd want to use headphone + preamp mode and use the knob to adjust the output to my powered speakers. But what about the speakers? Do I have to set them at a high/higher volume or around 50% to beat background hiss?

Another question. I noticed the DX3 shows as an available bluetooth device even when it's on USB DAC mode. Is this normal? Should't have the bluetooth chip become completely deactivated when the DX3 operated in a no-bluetooth source mode?

I've been using it 5 days now for many hours a day and so far it's been rock solid for me (knock on wood)
Bought it from Shenzhen Audio and has a 19XXXXXXXX S/N

I have had mine for over a month now, its also been rock solid. Shenzhen audio was great for me as well.

I have been using my DX3 as a pre-amp with my studio monitors (Presonus Eris E5). I set the volume on the back of the monitors to 50%, they get plenty loud at that volume, I can go as high as -10db on the DX3 and the volumes are ear ringing at that volume, but for near field listening the DX3 is usually at around -35 to -25db and its plenty loud for me. I also dont go any higher than 50% because I have accidentally pressed the lineout button on the remote before and it was so loud with full lineout of the DX3 and the speakers set at 50% that I thought I was going to blow them. I dont know if any of this is the right way to do it, but it seems to work fine.

As for bluetooth, yes the DX3 bluetooth is always on. Wouldnt say its an issue, my phone doesnt seem to automatically connect to it unless I tell it to

g_t_j

I have had mine for over a month now, its also been rock solid. Shenzhen audio was great for me as well.

I have been using my DX3 as a pre-amp with my studio monitors (Presonus Eris E5). I set the volume on the back of the monitors to 50%, they get plenty loud at that volume, I can go as high as -10db on the DX3 and the volumes are ear ringing at that volume, but for near field listening the DX3 is usually at around -35 to -25db and its plenty loud for me. I also dont go any higher than 50% because I have accidentally pressed the lineout button on the remote before and it was so loud with full lineout of the DX3 and the speakers set at 50% that I thought I was going to blow them. I dont know if any of this is the right way to do it, but it seems to work fine.

As for bluetooth, yes the DX3 bluetooth is always on. Wouldnt say its an issue, my phone doesnt seem to automatically connect to it unless I tell it to

That's exactly what I've ended up doing.
I have set the speakers to a moderate level and the DX3 ranges from -30 to -20 most of the times.
Initially I had the speakers set at full volume but in that scenario there was background hiss audible plus I had to go pretty loud with the DX3 in order for the combo to reveal some dynamics.
On the other hand, if I have the speakers tuned at a very low volume, the DX3 has to be operated at a high volume (probably higher than -10db) which not only carries a risk to blow any headphones connected at the headphone output but there's also a chance of distortion across the whole spectrum.

Therefore, I believe we have to find the sweet spot and probably we're both doing it the right way. However, I'd love to read other opinions on this.

That's a relief about bluetooth: Mine like yours never connects to my phone If I don't ask it to connect manually. However, in terms of interference I guess that is not ideal.

Thanks for the very helpful insight.

So far I've very impressed by the performance, SQ and reliability of this little device.

That's exactly what I've ended up doing.
I have set the speakers to a moderate level and the DX3 ranges from -30 to -20 most of the times.
Initially I had the speakers set at full volume but in that scenario there was background hiss audible plus I had to go pretty loud with the DX3 in order for the combo to reveal some dynamics.
On the other hand, if I have the speakers tuned at a very low volume, the DX3 has to be operated at a high volume (probably higher than -10db) which not only carries a risk to blow any headphones connected at the headphone output but there's also a chance of distortion across the whole spectrum.

Therefore, I believe we have to find the sweet spot and probably we're both doing it the right way. However, I'd love to read other opinions on this.

That's a relief about bluetooth: Mine like yours never connects to my phone If I don't ask it to connect manually. However, in terms of interference I guess that is not ideal.

Thanks for the very helpful insight.

So far I've very impressed by the performance, SQ and reliability of this little device.

Your reasoning makes sense. Im sure people more knowledgeable will chime in as well, I am just an enthusiast who kind of understands some of the basic science but thats about it :) . Will also ask one of my best friends who is an audio engineer about the sweet spots for volumes on monitor speakers, he usually has good insights for me as he often works in studios and at big concerts in my area.

Yeah this device is amazing, Its truly a step up from what I was using before. I cant imagine how "upgrading" would be worthwhile in the future, surely other gear cant sound better than this, at least what the human ear can pick up :) Just throwing this in here, I picked up a pair of KZ ZS10 Pro IEMs, for like 40 dollars or so, and I cant believe the sound quality for the price, especially when paired with the DX3. There is a lot of enjoyment to be had from budget audio (by most standards the DX3 isnt "cheap" anyway, 200 dollars is 200 dollars).

g_t_j

Your reasoning makes sense. Im sure people more knowledgeable will chime in as well, I am just an enthusiast who kind of understands some of the basic science but thats about it :) . Will also ask one of my best friends who is an audio engineer about the sweet spots for volumes on monitor speakers, he usually has good insights for me as he often works in studios and at big concerts in my area.

Yeah this device is amazing, Its truly a step up from what I was using before. I cant imagine how "upgrading" would be worthwhile in the future, surely other gear cant sound better than this, at least what the human ear can pick up :) Just throwing this in here, I picked up a pair of KZ ZS10 Pro IEMs, for like 40 dollars or so, and I cant believe the sound quality for the price, especially when paired with the DX3. There is a lot of enjoyment to be had from budget audio (by most standards the DX3 isnt "cheap" anyway, 200 dollars is 200 dollars).

I agree with all your points.
It's amazing how much good sounding stuff you can get today for very reasonable money.
I remember myself paying around what equals to 150€ today back in 1995 for a plain portable Discman D-140 only to connect it to my ancient at the time Hi-Fi system....

Today with nearly as much you get a complete fully-fledged and awesome sounding device.

I like you, don't see a point upgrading unless something really better and more reliable comes out.

g_t_j

Dx3pro performs very well between -6db to -18db.
Interesting. Will have to try that range too I guess. It's quite high though and I will have to remmeber to turn volume completely down before I connect any headphones to output.

Yuno

That's exactly how you should operate it. First find your "usual" volume for headphones, then switch to RCA volume controlled and set your speakers volume to, again your "usual" listening volume, without touching volume control of dx3 pro. This way no matter whether you use headphones or speakers you won't need to move more than few clicks up or down.
It's in general better to operate powered speakers at low volumes, because as you said there is less of amp hiss this way, but no point in going too crazy there, if you have to up or down volume every time you switch between hp and speakers, you are losing entire convenience of having this kind of device.

g_t_j

That's exactly how you should operate it. First find your "usual" volume for headphones, then switch to RCA volume controlled and set your speakers volume to, again your "usual" listening volume, without touching volume control of dx3 pro. This way no matter whether you use headphones or speakers you won't need to move more than few clicks up or down.
It's in general better to operate powered speakers at low volumes, because as you said there is less of amp hiss this way, but no point in going too crazy there, if you have to up or down volume every time you switch between hp and speakers, you are losing entire convenience of having this kind of device.

Excellent insight!
I did as you said. I think I will usually stay between -25 and -20db for both headphones and pre-amp volume.
The headphone out + preamp mode is my favorite by far in terms of convenience and ideally I would prefer to stay with this mode permanently or at least 99% of the times.

starfly

Forum Donor

Thanks !

No. The RCA outs are pre-amp outs, so they require an additional amp. You'll need a power amplifier to drive your passive speakers.

g_t_j

I know most users here who have tried an alternative power supply have used the one by Mean Well but what about iFi iPower? Has anyone tried the 15V version with the DX3? Is it worth it?

DouglasteR

I have just bought a 15v 3a Toshiba PSU just for the DX3 Pro.

If there is a problem with the PSU, if must be of lack of amps.

Even so, i am extrapolating, based on that amirm measured, the kit psu is fine.

ryohnosuke

I have just bought a 15v 3a Toshiba PSU just for the DX3 Pro.

If there is a problem with the PSU, if must be of lack of amps.

Even so, i am extrapolating, based on that amirm measured, the kit psu is fine.

Edit: Haha, I didn't read it! I though you were asking about if there's any problem in use a PSU with more amps.

No problem. Amps will be used only if the device "ask" for it.

Top Bottom