• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

Is this DX3 Pro still worth it considering some issues people have had with it? What are the main things to look out for when purchased new?

Also, does the volume control also control the line out, or does that stay unaffected? And will it independently control headphone out and line out, or is it just one volume level for the whole dac/Amp?

If you go back in the thread you will see that a Topping rep addressed people's issues with the unit. They supposedly test them for 100 hours before sending them out, and they claim that the percentage of failures were within the normal range for a mass-produced consumer electronic. That was enough guarantee for me to go ahead and purchase a unit.

The DX3 can act as a pre-amp for speakers so you can adjust the volume of the signal coming out the RCAs at the back, it can also do full line-out as well. You can leave your headphones plugged into the unit and swap between lineout and headphones at the push of a button. You can also play out of your headphones and RCAs at the back at the same time, using a single volume, as far as I have seen, you cant program a separate volume for your headphones and the line outs at the back.

starfly

Forum Donor
If you go back in the thread you will see that a Topping rep addressed people's issues with the unit. They supposedly test them for 100 hours before sending them out, and they claim that the percentage of failures were within the normal range for a mass-produced consumer electronic. That was enough guarantee for me to go ahead and purchase a unit.

The DX3 can act as a pre-amp for speakers so you can adjust the volume of the signal coming out the RCAs at the back, it can also do full line-out as well. You can leave your headphones plugged into the unit and swap between lineout and headphones at the push of a button. You can also play out of your headphones and RCAs at the back at the same time, using a single volume, as far as I have seen, you cant program a separate volume for your headphones and the line outs at the back.

Thanks. How long ago did you purchase it and have you had any issues with it?

auronthas

Now I know why you asked me the plastic caps question. I received the similar unit with the remote control (middle of three), didn't notice they have changed to LCD screen to glass... Will further check it later.

I only tested once on the headphone jack and it works well, cautiously set to lower -30dB before I insert my headphone. Normally I use DX3 Pro as pre-amp/DAC with 0dB , so far it works well with my home audio system.
I am pleased to report there's no issue on my DX3 Pro after three weeks, mainly use it as DAC/Pre-Amp from Auralic Aries Mini. There's minor click sound between High-Res file (DSD, AIFF) and lossy file (WMA,FLAC) which is normal to me like my Sony WM1A.

Haven't extensively tested on headphone yet, waiting for arrival of HD 650... but I am scared to blow it ... always need to remind myself to turn the volume knob to -30dB first.

I have had mine for about a month now I would say. No issues really. I have never noticed the stand by issues that people reported previously, not even once, and I use it for many hours every single day. Only had one issue where I plugged it into one of those USB-c to HDMI connectors for smartphones, it played music for a few minutes from my smartphone, then the app crashed on my phone and the DX3 got stuck in 192 khz mode, pulling the power plug out the back solved the issue. Still have no idea what that was all about and I wont be trying it again anytime soon!

thomasjast

Hello everyone! New member here after much lurking.

I think I'm going to have to pull the trigger on one of these during the next eBay coupon sale. Just picked up a pair of Sennheiser 58X and the DX3 seems to be what I'm looking for, since I need the fixed RCA out to go to PC speakers without doing any unplugging. Although my onboard audio is capable (Sabre 9023, decent op-amps), it'll be nice to get something with a knob and move my 3.5mm output to the other side of the desk.

06S2k07Si

Hello everyone! New member here after much lurking.

I think I'm going to have to pull the trigger on one of these during the next eBay coupon sale. Just picked up a pair of Sennheiser 58X and the DX3 seems to be what I'm looking for, since I need the fixed RCA out to go to PC speakers without doing any unplugging. Although my onboard audio is capable (Sabre 9023, decent op-amps), it'll be nice to get something with a knob and move my 3.5mm output to the other side of the desk.
I don't know if you are familiar with Drop.com, but it has been on there often for $175 shipped. To save some $$$ you might want to consider it...

https://drop.com/buy/topping-dx3-pro

There is a button on the page to be emailed when it becomes available again (Request). Good luck!

Wolven

My dx3pro was turning off. I got a replacement unit that was tested for 100 hours. After 3 weeks it started to turn itself off.

thomasjast

I don't know if you are familiar with Drop.com, but it has been on there often for $175 shipped. To save some $$$ you might want to consider it...

https://drop.com/buy/topping-dx3-pro

There is a button on the page to be emailed when it becomes available again (Request). Good luck!

Yeah, I'm in Canada, so exchange rate + shipping + customs make Drop expensive for things that can had elsewhere. My $160 headphones cost me $267 all said, so the DX3 would be more than that already.

sonci

My dx3pro was turning off. I got a replacement unit that was tested for 100 hours. After 3 weeks it started to turn itself off.
I bet it doesn't like your music!
I also think I'm going to jump on this one, usually the least reliable they are the better they sound.
I imagine in 6 months they will release the Version2, but unfortunately it will sound like shcitt, and everybody will search for a used version 1..:)

MattG

I haven't watched this thread for a while, came here in hopes that a firmware upgrade fixed the randomly-enters-standby bug, but it looks like other people are still having it. To be clear, this is the "harmless" issue where the unit goes to sleep/standby roughly every two weeks (if left running 24/7). Just hitting the power button (on the unit or remote) brings it back. Not a deal-killer, but annoying. I have mine connected via USB to a Raspberry Pi that I leave playing all the time. (Not using it as a headphone amp, but a standalone DAC.)

DouglasteR

Well, i just need some reassurance here.

My history with audio gear:

2000 - DT990pro with a Pioneer SC-35 receiver
2010 till last friday - Beyer T1 with Audio GD NFB-11 with my PC.

Thanks to my friend, he powered the NFB-11 in a 220v outlet, melting the toroidal transformer of this unit and since it is IMPOSSIBLE to acquire a spare piece, i started searching for new gear.

I ended up between the iFi Micro iDSD Black and the DX3 Pro.

The prices are $430 for the iFi and $183 for the DX3 Pro.

As price is ALWAYS a matter of life and death, i ended up with the DX3 Pro (that isn't arrived yet) and now i'm feeling that i can be missing some goodie with the iFi and it's Xbass enhancer.

Do the DX3 Pro really excell above the iFi ?
Do the iFi worth it's premium ? I will be using in my desktop pc, no portable gear at all.
Do them both are upgrades to the NFB-11 ?

Thanks for the help friends !

Veri

Master Contributor
Do the DX3 Pro really excell above the iFi ?
Do the iFi worth it's premium ? I will be using in my desktop pc, no portable gear at all.
Do them both are upgrades to the NFB-11 ?
Having owned both,
1. Yes, absolutely. The iFi is bottlenecked by its much older DSD1793 DAC (made 2003 revised 2006).
2. Depends. It's a fun piece of gear really, but I appreciate the more resolving/transparent DX3. Both have powerful amps. DX3 much cheaper...
3. Yes, the NFB is really not that good ... Most stuff reviewed here is better than the NFB lol

DouglasteR

Well, the DX3 Pro is already on the way.

I wish i could test the "Xbass" mod to measure it´s worthness, but i think i can live without it.

ryohnosuke

...so...I'm glad I decided to open up my DX3 Pro (latest from Drop.com)...I still haven't taken it completely apart yet, but I plan to...the hex wrenches I bought still weren't long enough. The Toslink connector wasn't even soldered in at all! (PIC BELOW) Not a big deal to correct for me. I certainly understand that these types of issues should not be happening...but...again, thanks to this forum, the information is shared enough so that we can at least have some knowledge to correct some of the issues as they come up. I also just opened up my new DX7s (also latest from Drop.com) and did not see any issues...other than a bit of residual residue from soldering (I cleaned mine up). The heatsinks were mounted perfectly flush/flat to the chips so I did not see any reason to insert the thermal pads or compound. Both units seem to be working fine at this time...although I have only been using USB and Bluetooth.

View attachment 27997
I received mine yesterday! Latest Massdrop batch:

dirty.jpg

I cleaned:

cleaned.jpg

It is working great right now :D

Keiichiwow

hello i am interested in this topping dx3 pro but everything I read is not reassuring and i live in switzerland and there is no store that sells it. I have to order it in France on audiophonics, I wrote an email to ask them if he had customer feedback, he told me no that their stock is redone every 2 weeks. what is this broken helmet story by this amplifier?

ryohnosuke

hello i am interested in this topping dx3 pro but everything I read is not reassuring and i live in switzerland and there is no store that sells it. I have to order it in France on audiophonics, I wrote an email to ask them if he had customer feedback, he told me no that their stock is redone every 2 weeks. what is this broken helmet story by this amplifier?
You mean the case? Isn't broken I just opened it to check if there's something wrong with the solders. It was everthing OK.

Keiichiwow

I read that it was necessary to turn down the volume each time to avoid breaking the headphones is this true?

Keiichiwow

go on a d50 and amplifier jds labs atom is more expensive but can be more reliable, I hesitate. sorry for my english i use google translate

Top Bottom