• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

rjb4526

I found your record in the after-sales list, our after-sales colleagues will soon replace you with a new one.
Hi @TP-Wong - my Topping DX3 Pro does not work. I just received it today and tried to plug it in via USB to my PC, but there is no response. It is as if the USB port on the device is broken - my PC does not even detect a new device connected.

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
Hi - my Topping DX3 Pro does not work. I just received it today and tried to plug it in via USB to my PC, but there is no response. It is as if the USB port on the device is broken - my PC does not even detect a new device connected.

Many factors could be an issue. First off, is your device on? (Describe how you would know that it's on).

The USB cable, is a bust? Try another

The USB port, is a bust? Try another

The output on your computer devices isn't set to the Topping.

The output on the Topping could be set to DAC only.

The volume might be mute on either device.

The computer could use a reboot after the drivers.

The lastest Windows update could be causing conflict (though I doubt it since I have one running on the latest Windows 10 Enterprise edition which itself would be more annoying to configure than a Pro/Home license).

My Topping didn't even need a driver, I could use the device with generic Windows default drivers even after I uninstalled the Realtek drivers that come with the computer.

Also try taking a picture of the Device Manager screen with audio devices listed. If there truly is zero devices detected there with the device plugged in, and turned on, would be an indication of some error beyond me understanding.

rjb4526

Many factors could be an issue. First off, is your device on? (Describe how you would know that it's on).

The USB cable, is a bust? Try another

The USB port, is a bust? Try another

The output on your computer devices isn't set to the Topping.

The output on the Topping could be set to DAC only.

The volume might be mute on either device.

The computer could use a reboot after the drivers.

The lastest Windows update could be causing conflict (though I doubt it since I have one running on the latest Windows 10 Enterprise edition which itself would be more annoying to configure than a Pro/Home license).

My Topping didn't even need a driver, I could use the device with generic Windows default drivers even after I uninstalled the Realtek drivers that come with the computer.

Also try taking a picture of the Device Manager screen with audio devices listed. If there truly is zero devices detected there with the device plugged in, and turned on, would be an indication of some error beyond me understanding.
Thanks for the tips - I've tried multiple cables and ports with the same issue. No Topping DX3 device ever shows up in Device Manager, even. I've rebooted the PC as well, as you suggested. I did think that it didn't even need a driver as you said, but I installed it anyway just in case. No luck unfortunately.

I've tested it via TOSLINK and it works fine there. It just doesn't work when trying to use the USB port.

Tks

Major Contributor
Thanks for the tips - I've tried multiple cables and ports with the same issue. No Topping DX3 device ever shows up in Device Manager, even. I've rebooted the PC as well, as you suggested. I did think that it didn't even need a driver as you said, but I installed it anyway just in case. No luck unfortunately.

I've tested it via TOSLINK and it works fine there. It just doesn't work when trying to use the USB port.

Then in that case, the USB input isn't working, I'd send it off for warranty personally speaking.

Last edited:

TKO

Dear users

As you discussed, some of our DX3 pro unit met a problem of "not able to turn on from standby mode". These units shows only a dot on the screen, it is able to go into setting but not able to turn on. All these units met this problem after a short time use. Now we got 10+ reports but we believe the quantity is higher than that. (Member Yue said that is 20+ units)

We got several defect unit back for analysis and now we have answers and solution.

An OP-AMP, model OPA2140 of all these problem units were dead. V+ or V- short circuit to the output. It made a high current and caused power protection so the unit is not able to turn on. In a few cases it will cause transistor dead or cause DX3 Pro output DC. All these defect units works well after replacing a new OPA2140, even after 100+ hour aging test. Basing on this point and low defect rate, we believe this is not a design flaw.

Since the OPA2140 comes from a reliable supplier, we will think more about the manufacturing process. According to our analysis, problem is most likely in inappropriate process of manual soldering for fixing SMT defect(1-2%). Because only this part is more uncontrollable, and the SMT defect rate is close to the defect rate of this issue. Manual soldering for fix is only a very small quantity and no detailed engineering records so we cannot be 100% sure that this process is the reason. But our solution covered this already.

Our solutions for new batch:
1, Improve process of manual soldering.
2, Add 100+ hour aging test before sending to sellers. 100+ hour is enough for expose the problems.

Suggestions to users who did not met this problem.
Because the problem OPA2140 will dead after a short time use(less than 30 hours). So after a long time use, we believe your unit is safe and working in good condiction. Feel free to use it.

Suggestions to users who already met this problem.
If your unit met "standby problem". No matter where you bought it, we will service directly to you. Please contact ([email protected]) for sending the defect unit back to us, we will pay back your shipping fee so you will not lost money in this issue, after receiving it, we send you a full new unit for exchange.

I am sorry that our explanation came too late and made some users worried.

Well I bought one and got this standby problem in the second day of it working model number starting in 1902. Don’t know if it is one of the tested units but my confidence in this company is very low now.

Tks

Major Contributor
Well I bought one and got this standby problem in the second day of it working model number starting in 1902. Don’t know if it is one of the tested units but my confidence in this company is very low now.
If you don't mind me asking. Are you in a country that uses 110v or 220v?

auronthas

Hi all & Amir, i just joined AudioScience and bumped into this review/forum. Just came across this Topping DX3 Pro from other websites, this review attracts me most, pretty nice review and thanks for sharing the valuable points. Not manage to read all threads yet, only 10%.

I am keen to purchase this DX3Pro to replace my old Cambridge Audio DacMagic which connect to my home HIFI system (SONOS+Krell + Sonus Faber).

Is it a good replacement ?

How's the sound AK4493EQ compare with WM7840 DAC ?

Last edited:

auronthas

If you had DacMagic Plus I would say it might not be worth it, but over the base DacMagic I would say yes. Go for it.

It's currently on massdrop btw.
Thanks for your input.

How's sound characteristic of AK4493EQ compare with WM7840 ?

Ya, saw it at Massdrop too , but shipping in mid of June. Another shopping apps (Shopee Apps) , it's approximately the same price.

Paulkouhan

Hi,

First, thanks amirm for the great reviews you share with us !

I have 2 dx3pro at home, no issues so far.
I modified one of them with the mod described on
diyaudio : third post on page 12 (2pictures) :
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/333258-modding-topping-dx3-pro-12.html

I do find the modification very good to my ears and to my wife's ears too ! I have no equipment to make measurements.
I do not recommend any one to do the mod as it is quite difficult to do.

I would hope that may be topping would look at the pictures ! (There is a mouser bom page 16)

Thanks

David

auronthas

Hi,

First, thanks amirm for the great reviews you share with us !

I have 2 dx3pro at home, no issues so far.
I do find the modification very good to my ears and to my wife's ears too ! I have no equipment to make measurements.
I do not recommend any one to do the mod as it is quite difficult to do.

Thanks

David
Getting more excited with this beast the more I read :D

This should suit me well both home audio system and personal audio (DAP/headphone) .

My only concern if I need to change the stocked power supply unit ?

rjb4526

Getting more excited with this beast the more I read :D

This should suit me well both home audio system and personal audio (DAP/headphone) .

My only concern if I need to change the stocked power supply unit ?
Why would you need to change the power supply? Also, if you already have a hi-fi setup, you will not notice any difference by switching out your current DAC/AMP to this one. Hell, it doesn't even make any difference going from my motherboard's onboard audio (which is higher-end than your average consumer's PC audio since I custom built my PC) to this DAC/AMP. I was a bit disappointed when I realized that I spent the money on this thing but had no improvement in sound compared to my PC's onboard, lol.

Veri

Master Contributor
Hell, it doesn't even make any difference going from my motherboard's onboard audio (which is higher-end than your average consumer's PC audio since I custom built my PC) to this DAC/AMP. I was a bit disappointed when I realized that I spent the money on this thing but had no improvement in sound compared to my PC's onboard, lol.

That does surprise me. DX3 has better fidelity than the average mobo. Which motherboard is it that you used? :)

rjb4526

That does surprise me. DX3 has better fidelity than the average mobo. Which motherboard is it that you used? :)
Definitely - I was surprised to hear no discernible difference when switching between my mobo and the DX3 Pro. I used an ASUS Z270E GAMING in my build, which definitely has a better audio setup than the average consumer PC's mobo.

airs

Hi all, received my DX3 Pro from Massdrop but the remote is not working. I've tried changing out the battery for a new one but no luck. Anything else to try? If not, how do I reach out to Topping to get it repaired/replaced?

rjb4526

Hi all, received my DX3 Pro from Massdrop but the remote is not working. I've tried changing out the battery for a new one but no luck. Anything else to try? If not, how do I reach out to Topping to get it repaired/replaced?
Did you put the battery in between the two metal springs/arms, positive site touching the top one?

TiborG

I think it's time to change the subject and expand the possibilities of this great device. Amirm mentioned somewhere at the beginning of this topic that he had a problem pairing DX3 Pro via bluetooth with Mac OS X. It surprisingly worked from the beginning. But the sound didn't really impress me. My Mac OS X Sierra High is running on Intel NUC, and I didn't know if the built-in bluetooth at all supports AptX, it's a Broadwell architecture, at least 3 years old machine. So certainly not AptX HD. But at Head-fi.org, I accidentally found a link to check and set up Bluetooth audio in Mac OS. After working through the necessary steps everything works and the sound is amazing - whether Audirvana or mpd server, Youtube
link
https://www.areilly.com/2017/07/29/enabling-aac-and-aptx-over-bluetooth-on-macos/
Apple developer
https://developer.apple.com/download/more/
AptX on Mac OS.jpg

rjb4526

Yep - no luck.
Dang... I only asked because it's not always obvious to people that you have to insert the battery between the metal posts, not just between the top post and the battery door.

If you're sure you put it in correctly and it's still not working, they do have a support email on their site you can contact for replacement. Might have better luck going through the vendor you purchased from, though, as the mfg. is in China so RMA will take quite some time.

Top Bottom