• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

gypsygib

Hi all, received my DX3 Pro from Massdrop but the remote is not working. I've tried changing out the battery for a new one but no luck. Anything else to try? If not, how do I reach out to Topping to get it repaired/replaced?

Mine came with a broken remote, pretty sure customs broke it when they took out the battery as the battery compartment was cracked. I think they dropped it on concrete or something because it had that white concrete dust on the buttons.

I contacted my seller (Dvilpoerty) and they allowed me to buy another one. I think it was around $17 CAN including shipping. Sucks that I spent more money on the device but I can't really blame Topping for what customs does.

airs

Mine came with a broken remote, pretty sure customs broke it when they took out the battery as the battery compartment was cracked. I think they dropped it on concrete or something because it had that white concrete dust on the buttons.

I contacted my seller (Dvilpoerty) and they allowed me to buy another one. I think it was around $17 CAN including shipping. Sucks that I spent more money on the device but I can't really blame Topping for what customs does.
Do you have contact information for that seller? I'd like to reach out to them and ask to buy a remote.

auronthas

Why would you need to change the power supply? Also, if you already have a hi-fi setup, you will not notice any difference by switching out your current DAC/AMP to this one. Hell, it doesn't even make any difference going from my motherboard's onboard audio (which is higher-end than your average consumer's PC audio since I custom built my PC) to this DAC/AMP. I was a bit disappointed when I realized that I spent the money on this thing but had no improvement in sound compared to my PC's onboard, lol.
My current DAC's USB was 10 years old technology, without XMOS, only support up to 16/44.1kHz digital input. I believe DX3 Pro is a step up for my current hi-fi setup. I prefer AKM DAC which is more musical than ES.

miguelx74

Hi everyone, I need to buy a DAC / AMP for my K712 PRO headphones. Is the Topping Dx3 pro or the AudioGD R2R-11 better?

gypsygib

Do you have contact information for that seller? I'd like to reach out to them and ask to buy a remote.

My contact was through amazon so I don't know their number. The correct name is actually Dilvpoetry, you may be able to google them and ask. I don't see that they have the DX3 Pro remote but they sell the DX7 remote.

https://www.amazon.ca/Dilvpoetry-Co...lvpoetry&qid=1557895562&s=electronics&sr=1-14

Found this when googling too

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Rem...DX7s-DAC-Headphone-amplifier/32891839661.html

It has the same button layout and I seem to recall someone saying it works with the DX3 Pro. But I'd verify with Topping or someone more knowledgeable. Looks different at the back, if memory serves, I think it's made of metal so that's a bonus. Kinda wish I got that one instead assuming it works.

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi everyone, I need to buy a DAC / AMP for my K712 PRO headphones. Is the Topping Dx3 pro or the AudioGD R2R-11 better?
Every single audio-gd product reviewed on this forum was a colossal mess. So no, I would not get the R2R-11.

miguelx74

Thanks for the reply. yes indeed I read many negative impressions.
ok i will buy the dx3 pro.
It is very beautiful aesthetically and could be the best buy in the price range within 500 euros.

auronthas

Hi all & Amir, i just joined AudioScience and bumped into this review/forum. Just came across this Topping DX3 Pro from other websites, this review attracts me most, pretty nice review and thanks for sharing the valuable points. Not manage to read all threads yet, only 10%.

I am keen to purchase this DX3Pro to replace my old Cambridge Audio DacMagic which connect to my home HIFI system (SONOS+Krell + Sonus Faber).

Is it a good replacement ?

How's the sound AK4493EQ compare with WM7840 DAC ?

I have ordered DX3Pro to give it a try.

TKO

The only caution I’d say is buy from somewhere you can return locally in the first 30 days and actually use it for some time during those. As the soldering problem would appear during that time.

auronthas

The only caution I’d say is buy from somewhere you can return locally in the first 30 days and actually use it for some time during those. As the soldering problem would appear during that time.
Thanks for the tips and notes. Looks like their quality control is weak. Any particular items I need to check with care and test them ?
Let us know how you like it :)
Thanks, it will take at least a month to be delivered

airs

My contact was through amazon so I don't know their number. The correct name is actually Dilvpoetry, you may be able to google them and ask. I don't see that they have the DX3 Pro remote but they sell the DX7 remote.

https://www.amazon.ca/Dilvpoetry-Co...lvpoetry&qid=1557895562&s=electronics&sr=1-14

Found this when googling too

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Rem...DX7s-DAC-Headphone-amplifier/32891839661.html

It has the same button layout and I seem to recall someone saying it works with the DX3 Pro. But I'd verify with Topping or someone more knowledgeable. Looks different at the back, if memory serves, I think it's made of metal so that's a bonus. Kinda wish I got that one instead assuming it works.
Great, thank you!

TKO

Thanks for the tips and notes. Looks like their quality control is weak. Any particular items I need to check with care and test them ?

Thanks, it will take at least a month to be delivered

I would just make sure to run it for 10-12 hours after you receive it. That’s about how long it took mine to go into standby mode, which I believe is the soldering defect.

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, how does this compare to the Topping DX7S and the Dragonfly Red? Would users miss the lack of balanced out? It's currently on sale on Drop FYI!

voon

One thing that speaks for Topping is how much service I got. My original dx3 pro managed to burn a few of my cheaper test headphones ... to much power, they got hot and died. According to Topping, to whom I sent my unit back, a damaged Opamp. After that, topping immediatly sent me a new unit, which so far, I have not dared using, as I only have expensive IEMs remaining. To that comment, Topping even offered me to send me a new future updated version ("V2"?) that will come with headphone protection ... not exactly sure what this is, but it sounds like a good thing to me. So service-wise I got some of the best service I ever got from any company by Topping.

Top Bottom