• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

nefilim

remote troubleshooting a D50 for someone else, could anyone tell me if with the USB input selected but the USB cable not connected to a computer, does the display say "Unlocked"? Or is that only for opt & coax inputs? thanks!

xxie

remote troubleshooting a D50 for someone else, could anyone tell me if with the USB input selected but the USB cable not connected to a computer, does the display say "Unlocked"? Or is that only for opt & coax inputs? thanks!
It shows 'Unlocked" with USB connected or not connected to host (Raspberry Pi), it shows "locked" whenever host has output.

jacobacci

Ah. We see the same issue as the Topping DX7s with increased distortion from -40 to -20 level. I continue to suspect that this is due to distortion mitigation feature of this ESS DAC. Hopefully Topping gives us a way to turn that on and off so that we can see if that is the cause or not.

I was wondering if there has been any feedback from Topping on making distortion compensation switchable (like in the pro-ject pre box s2 digital)

yue

Ah. We see the same issue as the Topping DX7s with increased distortion from -40 to -20 level. I continue to suspect that this is due to distortion mitigation feature of this ESS DAC. Hopefully Topping gives us a way to turn that on and off so that we can see if that is the cause or not.
it's possible to bypass that value. The value is called thb_enb in their datasheet and default to true. Possible to turn it to false by an updated firmware.

But I doubt if it's the cause. by default, the thd_comp_c2 and thd_comp_c3 values are 0, and the thb_enb shouldn't have any effect. unless topping mess up with these values, thb_enb shouldn't take any effect even enabled..

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
it's possible to bypass that value. The value is called thb_enb in their datasheet and default to true. Possible to turn it to false by an updated firmware.

But I doubt if it's the cause. by default, the thd_comp_c2 and thd_comp_c3 values are 0, and the thb_enb shouldn't have any effect. unless topping mess up with these values, thb_enb shouldn't take any effect even enabled..
I forgot we now have the spec for the chip. Seems like those registers need to be specifically configured for the design and it is possible as you say, people are not doing that. Shame there is no performance data in the datasheet.

yue

I forgot we now have the spec for the chip. Seems like those registers need to be specifically configured for the design and it is possible as you say, people are not doing that. Shame there is no performance data in the datasheet.

But it doesn't explain the regression --- 9018k2m chips without this feature are performing fine. why 9038q2m with thd_comp's = 0 are not.

Vosya

About a month ago, in response to my request, the topping's support service provided new drivers version 4.43. Subjectively, for me, sound with its much better than with the official 4.14. Nobody asked such a request, did not have more recent drivers? I would not want to disturb them too often.

Toku

Major Contributor
About a month ago, in response to my request, the topping's support service provided new drivers version 4.43. Subjectively, for me, sound with its much better than with the official 4.14. Nobody asked such a request, did not have more recent drivers? I would not want to disturb them too often.
Will drivers version 4.43 be uploaded to the Topping homepage?

Vosya

Will drivers version 4.43 be uploaded to the Topping homepage?
No. "But unfortunately, we believe that V4.14 has better stability on low configuration PC, so we do not plan to publish V4.43 to the public. "

Veri

Master Contributor
No. "But unfortunately, we believe that V4.14 has better stability on low configuration PC, so we do not plan to publish V4.43 to the public. "
Perhaps upload the 4.43 somewhere (mediafire/etc) if someone here is interested to try?

zephyros

Do you still have it? Would be interesting to see if they turn off the Compensation in that FW. Perhaps @amirm can spare some time for another measurement of the device?

Last edited:

FunctionalDoc

Has anyone tried this 4,14 version with the DX7s ? I think they use the same driver as D50.

I am using Windows 7 Pro and just don't want to mess up perfect working system.

Toku

Major Contributor
I have already tested V4.43, but it is not good to generate noise in DSD ASIO(Native) playback.

Zek

Major Contributor
I have already tested V4.43, but it is not good to generate noise in DSD ASIO(Native) playback.
Do you say that v4.43 generate too noise in DSD playback?:rolleyes:

Top Bottom