• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

Leit

Received message from "Hi-Fi College Store" on Aliexpress, what's weird is that it does say there is plenty of stock I don't know what the problem is :(

HI
Thank you for your purchase.
Your order payment is successful.
But it needs to wait until April 20 before the goods are shipped.
For some of us we are very sorry.
Can you add more time?
Inconvenience to you, please forgive me.

Yes, I received this same message. Not too surprised after this is a totally new product and has gotten some very good praise behind it.

Since I am not in a hurry I added more time for them.

sonci

Yes, I received this same message. Not too surprised after this is a totally new product and has gotten some very good praise behind it.

Since I am not in a hurry I added more time for them.
You should cancel order, I had some bad experience with Ali express.

Leit

You should cancel order, I had some bad experience with Ali express.

Please specify. When telling someone what they "should do", You must be much more specific. What was it you had bad experience? If you had one bad experience, does it mean I am going have the same bad experience? Or everyone else?

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Please specify. When telling someone what they "should do", You must be much more specific. What was it you had bad experience? If you had one bad experience, does it mean I am going have the same bad experience? Or everyone else?
Check the video I think this is what he was referring to! As far a purchasing from sellers on Ali Express... There are built in safeguards and overall transactions are trouble free. Anything can happen at times with any purchase. You can walk into a local store and have a bad experience.

sonci

It's just that I don't trust sellers that don't accept Paypal. The feedback system is false, and once I got refunded after 2 months,
but a lot of people are ok with Aliexpress.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It's just that I don't trust sellers that don't accept Paypal.
I have yet purchase anything from Aliexpress. How do you pay if not paypal? Regular credit card?

FunctionalDoc

I ordered from them you can use PayPal cost extra so on my DX7 at $339 it would have cost $ 13.50 . I went with my card because Capitol One will go after them if need be. I think all together it will take 21-28 days to receive the order but if I can get older Dx7 for that price it is worth the wait.

Netspirit

I have received my D50 from AliExpress ("Hi-Fi College Store") today - it's a legitimate seller.

In the box, apart from the sexy D50 there were two cables: a normal USB A to USB B one, and a USB A to a cylindrical power connector (5V DC). I connected the former to my USB source (laptop's docking station USB port - I wonder if multiple USB hops introduce any jitter? assuming D50 uses the asynchronous USB mode) and the latter to a separate USB power source (will replace it with iFi iPower once it arrives). No audible problems so far, will keep test-driving it.

Last edited:

Netspirit

Received my USB cable today with both 5V and ground disabled. No noise whatsoever, amp is dead silent at max volume :) problem solved!

I wonder if disabling the ground is a good idea. Can non-grounded signals damage the DAC?

Here's how Topping's customer support replied to my question if I should use a data-only (power pin blocked) USB cable with D50: "External power should connect to D50's DC jack, D50's USB is only for data, not power".

Last edited:

zenki

Just got me d50.
Big thx to Amrin for the review.
And forget those trolls who complain or try to rip ppl off (in other posts).
Keep up the good work.

"Pics speak 1000 words"

Veri

Master Contributor
Just got me d50.
Big thx to Amrin for the review.
And forget those trolls who complain or try to rip ppl off (in other posts).
Keep up the good work.

"Pics speak 1000 words"

What do you mean? + what pic :p pics speak a 1000 words; where is it :D

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
Last edited:

lotse888

lotse888

I wonder if disabling the ground is a good idea. Can non-grounded signals damage the DAC?

Here's how Topping's customer support replied to my question if I should use a data-only (power pin blocked) USB cable with D50: "External power should connect to D50's DC jack, D50's USB is only for data, not power".

That cable does not have the 5 V wires, that's it. The + and - data wires are there to transfer the signals.

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
Wow, 15 US$ for a USB cable with only two wires inside!!:eek::eek:

You must have missed the part of the description discussing the OFHC (oxygen free unicorn hair) strands, adds a sense of realism/dynamism to each transferred bit.

But seriously, I bought it out of convenience.

Top Bottom