• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

raif

Yes, the one on the dac, that is controlled by the joystick on the front.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yes, the one on the dac, that is controlled by the joystick on the front.
I will have to do a teardown and look at the architecture to see if it has a dedicated analog volume control or it is done in the DAC somehow. For now, I would not worry about either reducing fidelity.

raif

I will have to do a teardown and look at the architecture to see if it has a dedicated analog volume control or it is done in the DAC somehow. For now, I would not worry about either reducing fidelity.

Ah, good to know. Thanks!

lotse888

Here is what I have found as far as what produces noise in my D50:

1) Power: desktop
Data: desktop
Result: audible noise

2) Power: desktop
Data: laptop

3) Power: laptop
Result: no noise

4) Power: laptop

5) Power: 5v phone SMPS

6) Power: 5v phone SMPS
Result: no noise

So, my desktop computer seems to be the root of my problems lol a bit problematic as it is where my music library lives. Perhaps it just has very noisy USB ports. I am by no means an expert, so any thoughts would be appreciated, but my thinking is that if it were a ground loop, the issue would persist in the SMPS. My desktop, D50 with the SMPS, and amplifier are all plugged into the same Furman PST-8D power conditioner.

There is a easy solution (if it is your power supply line causing the noise problem). Look for a usb cable like this one:

upload_2018-3-22_20-24-53.jpeg

I am not recommending you buy this one. Just using it as an example. The 2 USB type A connectors connect to one USB type B connector. One of the A connector has only data line, the other A connector only has +-5 v connection. You separate the data and power input. One can source the power from a battery. Again, this set up will not solve your problem if the noise is from your data line

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
Good idea that, I've been wondering if the Power line is required. It might not work because most need at least a handshake, some DACs don't require power beyond that while others don't require it at all.

From my testing, there is noise over both the data cable and the power cable, but I can see if taping the power line on the data cable stops the noise on the data side. I am hearing the classic beeping/chirping as I move my mouse around.

Have you tried using a powered hub between the desktop and DAC?

I haven't tried this, I actually don't own a powered hub surprisingly, but seems like it would be worth a shot, I'll pick one up if I can't find another solution.

There is a easy solution (if it is your power supply line causing the noise problem). Look for a usb cable like this one:

View attachment 11600

I am not recommending you buy this one. Just using it as an example. The 2 USB type A connectors connect to one USB type B connector. One of the A connector has only data line, the other A connector only has +-5 v connection. You separate the data and power input. One can source the power from a battery. Again, this set up will not solve your problem if the noise is from your data line

Thanks for the suggestion, but the DAC already has separate power and data cables, I am also getting noise through the data cable. I think the issue lies with my desktop USB ports, not necessarily the DAC.

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Have you tried different USB ports (front vs back, etc.) ?
Another solution would be to use a PCIe USB card in your desktop machine.

dwalme

From my testing, there is noise over both the data cable and the power cable, but I can see if taping the power line on the data cable stops the noise on the data side. I am hearing the classic beeping/chirping as I move my mouse around.

My girlfriend's computer has the same problem. She has a dac connected to JBL LSR305 powered monitors. Pretty sure it's a ground loop caused by the computer and speakers all having grounded power cords. But I haven't tested lifting the grounds on the speakers yet.

I threw a toslink dac (for galvanic isolation) on her computer until I can get to the bottom of it.

Veri

Master Contributor
Amir, not sure this has been asked before but is the USB linearity about the same as the SPDIF linearity on this DAC? Cheers

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Aweicc

When using optical in on the D50, is it normal that bit depth shows nothing? Attached pic is my D50 when using optical in.

Attachments

• CA5FC3B7-7BEE-46C3-AB48-E1ADCB26B8B0.jpeg
    CA5FC3B7-7BEE-46C3-AB48-E1ADCB26B8B0.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 430

Veri

Master Contributor
but I can see if taping the power line on the data cable stops the noise on the data side.

Please do try this! I would love for this DAC not to need any power from the USB cable :) would just be the cherry on the cake if I decide on buying it (which I probably will seeing how it compares to other big brands wow!). I do wonder how the EL Dac performs compared to the Topping. Maybe someone will send one in to Amir ;) (although I expect it to be roughly the same as the OL Dac, but I do wonder about its linearity).

Zilfallion

I do wonder how the EL Dac performs compared to the Topping. Maybe someone will send one in to Amir ;) (although I expect it to be roughly the same as the OL Dac, but I do wonder about its linearity).
I said in the TODO thread almost 2 weeks ago, and it still holds true. I MAY buy an EL DAC soon(within the next 2-3 weeks), it depends on if something comes through or not, if so, after a bit of time to play with it myself, I would be willing to send it in to get tested. He's got enough of a backlog of things to get through as it is though that I don't personally see much of a rush to buy and ship it

I just like JDS Labs. Their customer service is amazing and response time is crazy(and a legit no-BS marketing: here's the specs, here's what it can do). Plus I prefer the one button with a lit ring around it more than the face of the D50 with all the text, but looks are highly subjective. And the OL DAC seemed to measure fine and close to their specs, so I trust their specs.

Veri

Master Contributor
I agree, I like JDS Labs too, they seem to take a more scientific approach in the wake of good ol nvawguy. I found it interesting that they opted for the AKM chip in OL and EL Dac too, since Sabre seems to generally be the top-of-the-line on measurements/performance, but I think it's because they prefer to use as many components of the same manufacturer as possible. I doubt a DAC performance difference would be audible compared to the Topping, but since there's no measurement of it yet I'm dying to know for sure :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Please do try this! I would love for this DAC not to need any power from the USB cable :) would just be the cherry on the cake if I decide on buying it (which I probably will seeing how it compares to other big brands wow!). I do wonder how the EL Dac performs compared to the Topping. Maybe someone will send one in to Amir ;) (although I expect it to be roughly the same as the OL Dac, but I do wonder about its linearity).
Sure would be cool to compare the EL DAC to D50.

Rabindra

Hi All, my first post in this forum. I am a casual enthusiasts, was hoping to get your opinion on using this dac for my marantz cd72mk ii se transport. If this dac is an improvement over the dac7 in my marantz, I would happily pull the trigger. Thanks .

Krunok

Major Contributor
Sadly my Topping DX7 remote did not work with it so to change the volume you have to be sitting close to the unit.

Hello Amir, thank you for taking time and effort to make this review and measurements of this interesting device!

Was it the case that DX7 remote is not compatible with D50 or D50 doesn't support IR volume change?

Regarding volume control, you seem to be sure that it is implemented in a lossless manner? Once you open the device it would be interesting to know the details of the volume control design.
According to Shenzenaudio support guy digital volume control in DX7 was lossless.
(Question #4: https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/toppi...sb-full-balanced-dac-headphone-amplifier.html)

Hopefully it is different with D50.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hello Amir, thank you for taking time and effort to make this review and measurements of this interesting device!

Was it the case that DX7 remote is not compatible with D50 or D50 doesn't support IR volume change?
HI there and welcome to the forum. As to your question, I don't know. I will do a teardown at some point and see if there is an IR receiver. My sense is that Topping would retain compatibility with their other remotes so likely there is no IR receiver.

Top Bottom