• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

nickstyle

You're on the latest firmware and driver. However that driver is meant for Windows 7 and Windows 8 which don't have support for UAC2 out of the box. So, maybe you may wanna try uninstalling the driver from Topping and use the one included on Windows 10.
I have uninstalled the driver and i use the windows driver now and i still have the problem :(

caguilar91

Unfortunately nothing happened :(
Any chance to be a hardware problem and not software?
Try reinstalling the latest firmware again as @zenon recommends, if not maybe the USB cable might be bad but still unlikely. Finally, try contacting Topping describing the problem because it might be a bad unit. Also, what are the first 4 numbers of the serial number on your D10? As you must choose the right firmware depending on the serial number and if it's lower than 1806 it wouldn't be the latest revision and (probably) more prone to defect: http://en.tpdz.net/wdzn_detail/newsId=84.html

nickstyle

So, i do have the right firmware
All the USB ports are disabled from sleep
The USB cable is very good quality
I tried different ports and same problem
I tried to reinstall the firmware and failed few times
Now is worse,it got back to the 6F2 firmware and when i get back the PC from sleep the Topping remain in sleep mode.
When i try to install the firmware ,it starts and after 2 sec i hear 2 clicks inside the topping and fails
Exactly this happens when stops working,i hear 2 clicks and thats it. It dosen`t go in the 3 lines sleep mode i still have the 44.1 on the display

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_20190409_195446.jpg
    IMG_20190409_195446.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 232

caguilar91

So, i do have the right firmware
All the USB ports are disabled from sleep
The USB cable is very good quality
I tried different ports and same problem
I tried to reinstall the firmware and failed few times
Now is worse,it got back to the 6F2 firmware and when i get back the PC from sleep the Topping remain in sleep mode.
When i try to install the firmware ,it starts and after 2 sec i hear 2 clicks inside the topping and fails
Exactly this happens when stops working,i hear 2 clicks and thats it. It dosen`t go in the 3 lines sleep mode i still have the 44.1 on the display
Sounds to me it's a bad unit with all the trouble. :(

fairx

Hi guys, long time lurker 1st time poster. I admire this forum for the objective side of audio world and would like to thank many people here for this informative, vibrant yet sensible community.

I just discovered d10 here last month when searching a good candidate for my desktop dac and like many others here, I bought my d10 to pair with o2 amp. What a wonderful combination it is (my last dac amp was Fiio Q1, the jump in SQ is quite noticeable). I was lucky to found a seller with steep discount and get d10 for Usd69 shipped to my country!

Today I hack 2 USB cable to create split data / power so I can use d10 with my old nexus 5 as simple transportable setup. Powering the dac is MI power bank (10400mah 5v 2.0A). Its just a simple solder job and the dac works fine. I do have a couple question though.

1. Does separating power and usb data improve SQ? I notice sense of openness that I don't hear before (my earbud is TY Hi-Z320 320ohms). It might just be bias listening but I want to know the fact too.

2. Does my power bank 5v 2.0A enough to power d10 for prolonged usage? Does it affect the component?

3. Using hiby music on my nexus 5 I notice jerk / jitter in playback. I'm using exlusive USB in hiby setting. I tested with other player and don't have any drop out, pop or jerky playback. Also tried with my laptop and no problem detected. What could be the problem?

Thanks in advance guys.

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi fairx

1. Separate power might improve SQ if one source is really lousy, but I doubt there is a measurable difference, I might be wrong though.
Just remember to make sure the ground is common between the DAC and the USB Host device you plug it into - you probably already have else it wouldn't enumerate/hand-shake.

2. I still haven't measured the current draw myself, but folks here have said it draws 320mA. It might pull a little more when switching on or when switching sample rate, but I wouldn't expect too much more. 500mA would be spec.
10400mAh / 320mA = 32 hours use, so plenty of power to run the DAC for a longish time before the power pack needs recharging.
The powerpack outputs a maximum of 2A (or 2000mA keeping the same unit naming) so way more than the DAC requires.
By these numbers, this is all safe and good.

fairx

Hi fairx

1. Separate power might improve SQ if one source is really lousy, but I doubt there is a measurable difference, I might be wrong though.
Just remember to make sure the ground is common between the DAC and the USB Host device you plug it into - you probably already have else it wouldn't enumerate/hand-shake.

2. I still haven't measured the current draw myself, but folks here have said it draws 320mA. It might pull a little more when switching on or when switching sample rate, but I wouldn't expect too much more. 500mA would be spec.
10400mAh / 320mA = 32 hours use, so plenty of power to run the DAC for a longish time before the power pack needs recharging.
The powerpack outputs a maximum of 2A (or 2000mA keeping the same unit naming) so way more than the DAC requires.
By these numbers, this is all safe and good.
Thanks for the 1 & 2. Glad it (powerbank) can power d10 without problem. I belive o2 will exhaust the battery before powerbank need recharge anyway so maybe around 5-6 hour from my experience using o2.

As for 3 I'm not fret over it since other player is doing a good job already. I'm just curious since hiby supports MSEB dsp.

L5730

If you are just powering the DAC with the powerbank, that's fine. If you were powering the O2 as well, then you'll want to make sure the current draw of both the DAC and the O2 together don't draw more than the powerbank can output at max. (2000mA). Probably best to stay a little under the max. anyway, especially when the battery is running low.

I can't help with 3. as I don't have experience with that device.
I can say that I noticed odd dropouts with Foobar2000, WASAPI and ASIO with Windows 7 Pro on an n2600 Intel Atom netbook. I tried a bunch of settings and nothing fixed it for good, although it seemed rather infrequent. Moved to another low end Intel laptop with n3710 chip, and that has been fine. AMD Ryzen 7 desktop has zero issues as well. I think it might just be some low end devices might struggle and are not optimised with their low resources for the USB audio side of things.

fairx

Oh no worry. I'm only using powerbank to power the dac. thanks for the reminder.

The o2 is using the supplied battery and charged using plug from Jsdlabs. I'm using d10 and o2 combo as my desktop setup and o2 usually plugged in during that time. Sometimes I want to use the combo somewhere else in my house without me have to lug my laptop and don't want to exhaust my already aging nexus 5 battery. I only use this with my 320ohms earbud anyway since it really need the amp. Most of the time when out I'm using iem with my Samsung phone.

I also have old atom Netbook (1.66ghz cpu + 2gb ram) Using foobar and wasapi / dsd native output up till 128 and no dropout iirc. Still can't output 256 dsd native though. Not sure I'm missing something in the chain but I only have few dsd from 2L for testing purpose so it's not that important. My listening mainly rebook and Spotify.

L5730

Hi,me again,who i should contact for warranty the seller or Topping?
The seller is always the first place to turn. Sellers will normally provide warranty for 30 days, 45 days, 90 days or 1 year depending on the country of sale law/the sellers terms/the sellers platform (Amazon/ebay etc.).
After (one of these) period(s) it's really up to you to contact the manufacturer and handle the shipping to them if they request.

Yes, always get on to the seller pronto!

nirschl

Hello folks,

Hope someone can help with an issue I’m having. I’ve been running the D10 in my vehicle now since January and no real issues...until yesterday. When I start a track it plays for a couple minutes or so nice and centered and balanced and then abruptly, the right channel cuts almost all the way out. This is either off of my iPhone or my PC. I just made sure the most recent firmware and drivers were installed. Same thing happened.

Strange thing is, if I unplug the DAC from the source and plug back in, it’s fine again. But will do the same thing after a couple min.

It’s nothing to do with anything else in my setup. When running the headunit alone on USB or CD, all is fine. Only when running through the DAC. This happens for the first time yesterday and again now after doing updates.

Before I contact Topping directly any ideas here?

nirschl

Hello folks,

Hope someone can help with an issue I’m having. I’ve been running the D10 in my vehicle now since January and no real issues...until yesterday. When I start a track it plays for a couple minutes or so nice and centered and balanced and then abruptly, the right channel cuts almost all the way out. This is either off of my iPhone or my PC. I just made sure the most recent firmware and drivers were installed. Same thing happened.

Strange thing is, if I unplug the DAC from the source and plug back in, it’s fine again. But will do the same thing after a couple min.

It’s nothing to do with anything else in my setup. When running the headunit alone on USB or CD, all is fine. Only when running through the DAC. This happens for the first time yesterday and again now after doing updates.

Before I contact Topping directly any ideas here?

EDIT:

I may have tracked down the culprit here. Likely faulty USB input port.

Attachments

• 52A7E17D-4181-42CD-83D7-DC28B533D76E.jpeg
    52A7E17D-4181-42CD-83D7-DC28B533D76E.jpeg
    1,001 KB · Views: 439
  • B1057B68-D93A-4E03-892E-7609AE6E5998.jpeg
    B1057B68-D93A-4E03-892E-7609AE6E5998.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 276
Top Bottom