• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of the Topping D70 DAC

Koeitje

Major Contributor
These talks about max volume noise has got me worried. I was planning to use this as a pre-amp for my yet to be built Hyped NC400's. But it sounds like that is way too risky.

D

Deleted member 2944

These talks about max volume noise has got me worried. I was planning to use this as a pre-amp for my yet to be built Hyped NC400's. But it sounds like that is way too risky.
Your worry is unfounded.
And if using as a preamp you won't be setting the volume control to maximum anyways.

Dave.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Your worry is unfounded.
And if using as a preamp you won't be setting the volume control to maximum anyways.

Dave.
Ah, then I misunderstood. It's just the DAC producing random noise at the current output level. Like when you feed a Dolby Digital signal into a PCM DAC...you just get noise.

Nybto

Forum Donor
Just ordered the D70.
At present I have the D50 and the Benchmark DAC3 but wanted a second DAC with XLR output (to free up an RCA input on my HPA4 pre for something else).
Will be interesting to compare the DAC3 to D70.
Have you received it yet @tobes? Any impressions?

tobes

Have you received it yet @tobes? Any impressions?
I've had the D70 for more than a month.
This is probably not the forum for subjective impressions - at least if not accompanied by DBT.
I commented here and my impression hasn't changed.
I have both the DAC3 and D70 connected balanced into the HPA4 - I can use either, but almost always gravitate to the DAC3. The DAC3 just seems to have less between me and the music.

I don't heave any real ergonomic issue with the D70, but I only use it in dac mode.
One disappointing thing is that the D70 screen (which is kind of dim lit like @amirm mentioned) is not really readable from my speaker listening position a few metres away. Unfortunately Topping chose to use big font for the word 'DAC' (dac mode) and made the input and frequency fonts small.
Benchmark use a basic LED arrangement for frequency/bit rate, but it's easily readable from my listening position (but you've got to be familiar with the LED positions).

Nybto

Forum Donor
Thanks tobes, that’s a shame. Well at least you freed up your input.
I am considering the D70 to replace my Khadas TB into a Benchmark combo, that would sit more comfortably with the impending Geshelli HP amp. Have to say though the main system with the KTB is .. perfect.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Coming back to my earlier posts about using it as a pre-amp straight into a power amp. Anyone here got any experience with the D70 in that use case?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Coming back to my earlier posts about using it as a pre-amp straight into a power amp. Anyone here got any experience with the D70 in that use case?
I have used it that way with no trouble. You can use the remote or faceplate buttons to adjust output levels.

wtsz

[QUOTE = "BDWoody, post: 261751, członek: 5463"] Użyłem go w ten sposób bez żadnych problemów. Możesz użyć przycisków pilota lub panelu czołowego do regulacji poziomów wyjściowych. [/ QUOTE]
The best -12dB IMO.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I have used it that way with no trouble. You can use the remote or faceplate buttons to adjust output levels.
No issues with sound quality? I'm always worried when I feel like a function has just been slapped on there like "oh yeah you can also use it as a pre-amp".

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
No issues with sound quality? I'm always worried when I feel like a function has just been slapped on there like "oh yeah you can also use it as a pre-amp".

How would the ability to control output volume be an afterthought? No changes of any kind...sounds just like the music I'm playing...

Jugsy

I can just speak from theory and say that it is very unlikely people can hear differences between them.
Jeez, but the the Qutest is more than 3x the price and does not have balanced output. If you can't hear the difference why such a price difference. I was getting ready to get a Qutest but no more that's for sure...so thanks...you saved me a bunch of money.

Phrangko

I had planned to reward myself without my wife's approval a PS Audio DS DAC for a separate dac. Reading for opinions and experiences help me with my choice so the D70 in front of me is a result of that. What I can say is I saved a ton of money in making the decisions avoided battles with the missus. The D70 is mind blowing! Imaging, soundstage, musicality, you name it. This is one hell of a dac and the measurements plus my ears, marriage is perfect.

Top Bottom