• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of the Chord Hugo 1 DAC & HP Amp

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Well the design engineer for their current model DACs is Rob Watts. So I would say Rob Watts doesn't engineer crap.

Would be interesting to see how Chord's non-Rob Watts products measure, like their amps. They are super expensive though.
I didn't realize that Chord had any products not engineered by Rob Watts

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Is it still available new? It's been replaced by the Hugo 2, so its value should be judged as a used item.

In any case, in other reviews Amir has ignored the price of expensive (overpriced?) products and still recommended them because they performed merely adequately.
When did this happen? Typically the only "adequate" performance products he has recommended were speaker amps / AVRs. There is maybe one budget DAC or Amp that had "adequate" performance that he still recommended just due to the price.
The Hugo / Hugo 2 are absolutely flagship type devices with TOP tier prices that cost more than an entire stack + headphones which are just better performing than the device itself.
I cannot blame him for not recommending it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In any case, in other reviews Amir has ignored the price of expensive (overpriced?) products and still recommended them because they performed merely adequately.
I give a pass if the device is exceptional in other ways. This device looks like a cheap toy to me. No way it first in category of high-end, multi-thousand dollar audio devices.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I didn't realize that Chord had any products not engineered by Rob Watts

Yeh only DACs and M-Scaler thing are Rob Watts designed.

Everything else MIGHT measure crap.

01DF2F6A-41B4-4696-AC18-7D1394C0F696.jpeg
24D0C16C-5A7C-49B9-B875-A2525F06C831.jpeg
A0BE55B1-B43D-48DB-A32A-E4E8200152D5.jpeg
7BAE19F1-1EB5-4589-8BF4-C4C52826F7AC.jpeg
98293640-E02F-4DC0-AB49-27AC8C2A4028.jpeg

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
When did this happen? Typically the only "adequate" performance products he has recommended were speaker amps / AVRs. There is maybe one budget DAC or Amp that had "adequate" performance that he still recommended just due to the price.
The Hugo / Hugo 2 are absolutely flagship type devices with TOP tier prices that cost more than an entire stack + headphones which are just better performing than the device itself.
I cannot blame him for not recommending it.
There have been several only very recently. Do I really have to slog through the whole lot?

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Last edited:

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Call me crazy but for me Chord styling of their cases is extremely cool.
Every other company devices look pretty much the same. Square silver/black boxes with different face plates. Nothing special, the same design for like ~40 years ?
But Chord products looks very different, I really like it :)

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I never knew this. I guess some other products have to be tested now to see.
Perhaps the amps have never been sold in the US, or not achieved any market presence. They've never been cheap and there's a lot of high-end American amps in the market. Here's a bit of history <https://www.markhennessy.co.uk/rogers/ls58_chord.htm>. Note that the BBC were unlikely to mess about with overpriced amps that didn't deliver.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Every other company devices look pretty much the same. Square silver/black boxes with different face plates. Nothing special, the same design for like ~40 years ?
I agree. They might take it too far in some cases, but don't we want some variety?

BTW I have a real dislike, bordering on outright disgust, of the typical boastful styling of much high-end: absurdly thick, huge slabs of metal tacked on the front of the chassis and protruding anything up to an inch on all sides. Is that supposed to impress?

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I agree. They might take it too far in some cases, but don't we want some variety?

BTW I have a real dislike, bordering on outright disgust, of the typical boastful styling of much high-end: absurdly thick, huge slabs of metal tacked on the front of the chassis and protruding anything up to an inch on all sides. Is that supposed to impress?
Yup, check Marantz CD-73 player. It's an old cd player, its design is not as crazy as chord ones. But still, I really like the cd loading solution.
Enough of boring design ! :)
33566236078_559d59144c.jpg

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
You've seen this then <https://chordelectronics.co.uk/products/> ?

Top Bottom