• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit Modi 3 DAC

Veri

Master Contributor
Amir, Can you pls update this chart for Grace SDAC? The SINAD is not tested on the original review? Thanks

Also interested in this, since the SDAC is currently in massdrop and thus the perfect contender to this new modi.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Wasapi can be shared, but yes exclusive is what you want - isn't it the default?
I don't know if it's the default.
About a month ago i started listening (for evaluation) to MQA rendered on the Tidal desktop application (i have no MQA capable dac) and noticed my dac kept showing 48 Khz in the display, after some searching i found settings in tidal dashboard needs to be set to exclusive (it wasn't) then the dac displays shows 96 Khz. But that's the highest rate you will get with the desktop application, with a MQA hardware dac you get higher readouts, conversions.

As a side note, so far not impressed with MQA, it sounds different on most tracks but i wouldn't say better.

Fleetwood Mac being one of my favorites it definitely didn't sound better, on some tracks i got the impression the sound came from behind a curtain and some details smeared out. Got the same listening experience with The Eagles. This could be attributed to the desktop application, i have no way to determine that.

sssn

Too bad Schiit can't do USB DACs to save their lives, but at least S/PDIF performance is decent.

Quoting myself to take that back. Seems like the Modi 3 really is a very nice unit.

snip3r77

Also interested in this, since the SDAC is currently in massdrop and thus the perfect contender to this new modi.
If you check one of the chart at Massdrop, it states about 105db but not sure how it co relates to SINAD

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Switched form my desktop to laptop for USB measurements and the results are the same:

So the source of 100 Hz square wave is internal to the DAC USB implementation. Using decrapifiers, etc. would not help then.

I am still at a loss how Schiit didn't get this in their measurements.

They measured a different unit. It might have been built with selected parts, yours might be defective or they might be fibbing.

sssn

They measured a different unit. It might have been built with selected parts, yours might be defective or they might be fibbing.

Read the review completely. The Modi 3 does not like ASIO4ALL over USB. Using WASAPI everything is fine.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Read the review completely. The Modi 3 does not like ASIO4ALL over USB. Using WASAPI everything is fine.
What are you supposed to do if not on Win 10 or a Mac?

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What are you supposed to do if not on Win 10 or a Mac?
Return it like I did. They don’t support Linux. I called and spoke with their engineer. I tried it and returned it as it didn’t work.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So.... comparing Schiit Modi 3 over USB to anything else is a pain in the behind because my AP software can no longer control it. I have sent email to Schiit asking them if they have an ASIO driver for it. Until then, I can only run a couple of tests "open" loop. One is the Dashboard which I have already shown. Here I will compare that to Topping D30 which I have not shown before (but is updated here):

Topping D30 Dashboard Measurement.png

This is a few db better than before. Not sure what explains it but as a way of comparison, is valid because everything is the same now.

Putting Modi 3, Topping D30 and D50 we now get this for SINAD:

SINAD Measurement.png

So all three are in the same class and category.

Next test I can run is J-test. Here, I am running the full resolution version of it instead of letting AP software dither it. J-Test has an embedded 250 Hz square wave in it that was designed to aggravate the S/PDIF cable signal. In the case of USB, that aspect is not useful. What may be useful is the fact that the 250 Hz square wave is designed in a way that causes all the bits to toggle at once. If there is lack of isolation in the device between digital and analog, this could show something. And it did here.

First, let's compare Schiit Modi 3 to Topping D30:

Schiit Modi 3 Jitter and Noise Compared to Topping D30 over USB Measurement.png

As we see, the 250 square wave in J-test is causing jitter in the clock for Modi 3, causing those symmetrical spikes. The skirt, or random low frequency jitter is also more visible in Modi 3 (blue) than Topping D30.

Topping D30 on the other hand (red), has a few dB higher noise floor but doesn't have this issue at all (see the inset measurements for better clarity).

Perceptually, random noise is preferred to correlated ones so the higher noise floor of D30 is less troublesome than the spikes in Modi 3. That said, hard to make a case for audibility in Modi 3 either due the fact that we don't have 0 dB 12 Khz tones in our music.

Here is the comparison to D50:
Schiit Modi 3 Jitter and Noise Compared to Topping D50 over USB Measurement.png

D50 betters the Modi 3 (and Topping D30) in noise floor but as I have reported before, suffers from 1 kHz packet timing of USB. They are not nearly as "loud" as the 250 Hz spikes in Modi 3 but nonetheless they show up.

Conclusions
Topping D30 sells for nearly the same money as Modi 3. It has the same three inputs just the same. I like its larger USB input jack and the on/off switch in the front. Aesthetically I say it is better than Modi 3 but this is a personal thing and you can decide that. From distortion+noise point of view, it is neck and neck with Modi 3. It is more well behaved in jitter test/sensitive to USB data than Modi 3. I give it a slight nod in this regard. The gap is small enough that I say let your preferences otherwise guide you.

Topping 50 has lower noise floor and less jitter than Modi 3. Importantly (for me), it has a beautiful OLED display withe volume control which I love to see in DACs. It would have for example told me the issue with Modi 3 ASIO truncating to 16 bits. Its build quality is also in another class completely. While it retails for quite a bit more than Modi 3 at $249, it frequently is discounted on Massdrop (Schiit is the only source for the product and as such, is never offered for discount on Massdrop). So if you can afford the extra cost, my recommendation would be for D50.

I think bottom line is the same as before: Schiit has made a massive improvement in their budget DAC implementation, substantially erasing any advantage Topping products used to have. Some vestiges of old problems such as jitter remain but they are small enough to be ignored.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, Can you pls update this chart for Grace SDAC?
Grace design was on loan unfortunately and I no longer have it to measure. I do have JDS Labs ODAC or whatever it is called though.

Grave

So, does the Topping D30 have a SINAD of 103 dB or 106 dB. :p I guess it does not really matter.

Top Bottom