• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

Vosya

I would need to adjust the channel balance but I saw that on the driver topping there is a volume control but the balance is blocked how come it can be unlocked?
https://www.thesycon.de/eng/usb_audiodriver.shtml

"Mixer Add-on
The Mixer Add-on is an optional component of the TUSBAudio driver and has to be licensed additionally.
[...]
- application examples: monitor mix, loopback channels, channel swap, balance, etc."

Do you think this is such a necessary feature that Topping will spend extra money on it?

Akary

https://www.thesycon.de/eng/usb_audiodriver.shtml

"Mixer Add-on
The Mixer Add-on is an optional component of the TUSBAudio driver and has to be licensed additionally.
[...]
- application examples: monitor mix, loopback channels, channel swap, balance, etc."

Do you think this is such a necessary feature that Topping will spend extra money on it?
I don't know but it is still present in the drivers and I think it would take little to enable it.
i am using tidal in exclusive mode do they work with them too?

Vosya

I don't know but it is still present in the drivers and I think it would take little to enable it.
All reverse engineering and hacking tools are at your service. Dare.
i am using tidal in exclusive mode do they work with them too?
Remove the Topping driver from your operating system. Can you still hear the sound? This is the answer.

Vosya

How do you set the buffer settings in the topping drivers?
As usual: find the lowest buffer size that the machine can comfortably work with. If you mean it is about achieving maximum sound quality. Do it independently of the representatives of the deaf herd, who oppose this, offering the default/maximum available driver latency. I propose to evaluate it on your own experience.

Akary

As usual: find the lowest buffer size that the machine can comfortably work with. If you mean it is about achieving maximum sound quality. Do it independently of the representatives of the deaf herd, who oppose this, offering the default/maximum available driver latency. I propose to evaluate it on your own experience.
the same goes for safe mode?

Vosya

the same goes for safe mode?
Safe mode increases latency, eventually hiding the smallest details of the sound, scene reverberation. If your setup allows you to hear the difference in the buffer size at all, this is also clearly audible.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Safe mode increases latency, eventually hiding the smallest details of the sound, scene reverberation. If your setup allows you to hear the difference in the buffer size at all, this is also clearly audible.
On the difference in chip measurements, you may wish to pm Amir to bring it to his attention.

I’m interested in the buffer suggestion. Do you have controlled tests that demonstrate that you are hearing something, and what’s your understanding of the mechanism that directly couples latency to what I think you are saying are spatial characteristics born of reverb?

Vosya

Do you have controlled tests that demonstrate that you are hearing something, and what’s your understanding of the mechanism that directly couples latency to what I think you are saying are spatial characteristics born of reverb?
I have only one test: when the buffer is minimal, I like the sound, when the larger one does not. Moreover, this is quite reproducible: all repeated attempts to get used to the non-minimal buffer were unsuccessful.
It seems to me that the size of the buffer somehow affects the phase shift between the channels. And I even admit that this shift is non-zero for the minimum buffer. This leads to an apparent broadening of the stereo base and spatial diversity of sound sources. Which is exactly what I like.

cap1980

How to turn on the D50s in DAC mode without preamp (no volume control) Thanks in advance!

TheBrandon

Is it possible to run a TRS 3.5mm to Coax? I need to get a headphone out of mixer with a 3 pole 3.5mm connection to the D50s which I'd chain to my A50s for my headphones. Is this doable? Or another way?

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning

TheBrandon

Those are both neat! First one is all 3.5mm the second is all RCA. Thank you though, I believe this answers the question. I typically need something that is converting my analog signal (3.5mm) to digital (Coax, Toslink, USB) and it would require another device. I will have to just try with my amp and hope the internal audio on the mixer is good. Typically I run Toslink to DAC and RCA to Amp. I don't have that luxury now with the mixer. I might be able to get fancy with the Windows and run a "hear" audio on say line out but that would complicate my individual channels I believe.

Angus66

Don't make the same mistake I did with your D50s:
After using my D50s for about 30 days with it on nearly 24/7 at 60% display brightness, I've noticed significant burn-in on the display. Attached are some pictures of it. It looks much worse in person if you're close to the display, but less noticeable far away as you would expect. It's most noticeable on the bottom bar of the main screen, and when selected items in settings.
If you don't want your display looking like mine, do not leave the device on for long periods of time, or better yet, use the auto off mode of the display setting.
View attachment 34886View attachment 34887View attachment 34888View attachment 34889

I know this is an old post, but it's actually perfect for my question.

How does the display look now after a year plus?

Did it stay about the same as pictured or get worse with time?

Are any other owners seeing the same burn in?

I'm considering buying a D50S but this issue gives me pause...

Gradius

How does the display look now after a year plus?

The display will last almost forever. Just let it to turn off at minimun setting.

You can always buy new ones too, but the setting above is more than enough.

Mine is 100% like the first day it arrive.

Angus66

b4nt

Only when it's measured and verified...

Hi, I do have something audible to measure and to tweak, but for the time being I don't know how, neither where... Several of my FLACs get distorded, on some of them, my loud speakers are like buzzing. And I'm wondering if it is due to the D50s (stock, no mod), my amp (Atoll MA100 used at low levels, so supposed to run at 0,05% distortion and 2us slew rate) or my speakers (Dynaudio Emit m20).

I don't get similar sounds with another speakers/amp/DAC set, DAC being there an Aune S16, but that isn't perfect either.

Next days, I'll swap out the LME49720 for a OPA1612, just to test and listen, that alternate shall have similar characteristics, but a higher slew rate (27 compared to 20). May something else be easily tried on D50s side to tweak around such sounds and effects? I'll first try to tweak on DAC side, as I have other digital electronics which behave the same, but much worther on such sounds.

Attached is a sample pattern, I found almost similar patterns in other "buzzing"/distorded FLACs. Here, a short excerpt of Fabrizio Rat, Indigo, with a double hit/buzz in the track at approx second 24. Highlighted, where I get those buzzing sounds (but many other occurences in that track, known to sound "distorded").

PS: Indigo is on Youtube, but that doesn't produce similar effects, probably due to the mp3 compression. But you will notice the double buzz at approx 24 seconds.

buzz.png

buzz.zoom.png

Top Bottom