• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

TomB19

Does Topping have an over-demand issue?

I need another DAC and just assumed I would pick up another P50/D50s/A50s stack but the P50 is no longer bundled with either component and prices have gone up 50%.

At this point, I'm thinking of going with a DX7 Pro for about the same price.

CorvusCorax

Can I connect my Android phone to the D50s with Bluetooth and input bit-perfect audio streams to the DAC?

In other words, if I'm streaming hi-res 24/192 from Qobuz or Primephonic, will the DAC actually receive the hi-res stream bit perfect? Or would the Android OS or Bluetooth transmission downsample the stream? My phone would be 10 feet from the DAC.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Or would the Android OS or Bluetooth transmission downsample the stream?

All Bluetooth audio transmission goes through a codec that compresses the data. Some of them handle higher kbps rates than others.

Whether it makes an audible difference is not for me to say.

Q: Do Topping D50s support both bitstream and LPCM input via Coax/Opto? My unit only works with LPCM and I wonder if that is right?

EF059415-2090-4983-8035-E380394F5778.jpeg

trotos

Hi all,
The usb input port is somehow loosed and there is a constant disconection from my PC. So I would like to issue a replacement order.
I was wondering if there are changes in the pats od D50s that makes it a better or worse DAC.
many thanks

TomB19

Hi all,
The usb input port is somehow loosed and there is a constant disconection from my PC. So I would like to issue a replacement order.
I was wondering if there are changes in the pats od D50s that makes it a better or worse DAC.
many thanks

I have one of the original D50s and it has functioned perfectly.

Would you happen to have a newer AMD system with 5xx chipset? There have been a lot of issues with USB disconnect on those platforms and AMD is investigating. I expect a fix will be out soon.

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can I connect my Android phone to the D50s with Bluetooth and input bit-perfect audio streams to the DAC?

No BT is "bit-perfect". The max on v5 is 1.4Mbit/s (2Mbit/s is marketing stuff, see attached).

So for your 192kHz @ 24-bit, it needs at least 9.3Mbit/s (min is 9.216), now you get the picture.

The max quality is by using LDAC, but even so, is far from "bit-perfect".

Attachments

• 0.png
    0.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 103

skyfly

Unscientific D50s filter test through loudspeaker, not headphone.

Only Filters 1 and 5 were tested.

Short term listening
Switching between filters with the remote, I could not feel difference in sound.

Long term listening
I tended to enjoy music for longer time with Filter 5.

This result is opposite to my prejudice. On audio magazines, I saw that pre-ringing did not look nice. I heard that Filter 1 is to address ringing. So subconsciously, I probably tried to like Filter 1.

Of course, the long term test depends on weather, what happens at work during that week, etc., which I cannot control.

htleetw

I have AUNE S6(DAC+headphone amp) and Nuforce STA120(speaker amp). There is obvious annoying hump(?) noise when I connect STA120 to S6's RCA output. I am not sure if matching issue causes it. I try to get a new DAC for STA120.

The spec I can get of STA120 is:
Sensibility 1Vrms
SNR 115dB
(I can't fine its input impedence.)

The spec of S6
XLR/RCA:
Frequency response: ±0.4dB(20Hz to 20kHz) Dynamic range: 116Db SNR: 115dB
THD+N: 0.0008%@1KHz Stereo crosstalk: -132dB
Output amplitude RCA: 2Vrms XLR:4Vrms

I prefer DAC with bluetooth and better both RCA & XLR output so that I can connect to STA120 & another headphone amp.
Topping D50S, D70S; SMSL SU-9, M200
which will match well(no noise) with STA120?

Appreciated!!

I have AUNE S6(DAC+headphone amp) and Nuforce STA120(speaker amp). There is obvious annoying hump(?) noise when I connect STA120 to S6's RCA output. I am not sure if matching issue causes it. I try to get a new DAC for STA120.

The spec I can get of STA120 is:
Sensibility 1Vrms
SNR 115dB
(I can't fine its input impedence.)

The spec of S6
XLR/RCA:
Frequency response: ±0.4dB(20Hz to 20kHz) Dynamic range: 116Db SNR: 115dB
THD+N: 0.0008%@1KHz Stereo crosstalk: -132dB
Output amplitude RCA: 2Vrms XLR:4Vrms

I prefer DAC with bluetooth and better both RCA & XLR output so that I can connect to STA120 & another headphone amp.
Topping D50S, D70S; SMSL SU-9, M200
which will match well(no noise) with STA120?

Appreciated!!

Could be a number of things but sounds like a ground loop issue. I’d start by swapping out cables one at a time to see if it goes away. Just Google ”ground loop hum” and see if that’s what you’re experiencing.

htleetw

Could be a number of things but sounds like a ground loop issue. I’d start by swapping out cables one at a time to see if it goes away. Just Google ”ground loop hum” and see if that’s what you’re experiencing.
Thanks for suggestion!
I tried STA120 amp not connecting to S6, there is no noise. I also tried two different RCA cables. Both have noise. That's why I guess it may be matching issue.

Vosya

Thanks for suggestion!
I tried STA120 amp not connecting to S6, there is no noise. I also tried two different RCA cables. Both have noise. That's why I guess it may be matching issue.

what about the power cable? Impedance matching issues for modern digital equipment is rare to nonexistent.

trotos

I have one of the original D50s and it has functioned perfectly.

Would you happen to have a newer AMD system with 5xx chipset? There have been a lot of issues with USB disconnect on those platforms and AMD is investigating. I expect a fix will be out soon.
Sorry for the late answer, I bought mine August 2019. I have an AMD B350, so that might not be an issue, this happens when for any reason the cables are moved, even a little, and only from the DAC position.

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The noise plots and ES9038Q2M_Datasheet_v1.3 are inconsistent.

Linear Phase Fast Roll Off filter has 120dB stop band rejection, but Filter 5 does not have -120dB rejection in the noise graph.

View attachment 117413

Never use datasheet to find out something if you already have the measurement from a specific DAC.

The differences will be ALWAYS on implementation. Congrats, now you know WHY actual measurements (from DAC itself) are so important.

Top Bottom